Dislike them 13%  13%  [ 8 ]
Ewwwww! Get it away from me! 13%  13%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 62

syzygyish
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2010, 8:02 am

mysassyself wrote:
We also have a (completely different) species wild around here that I haven't been able to identify properly. Word of mouth says whip snake. It looks a little like this:

The marsh snake, whose habitat is listed as SE Qld and in moister climates, so it could be this one .. the snake that lives here - there was one under our stairs, though it was far too quick for me to get anywhere near being able to catch it and was only about 50cm long, the same size as the marsh snake) - is an orange kind of colour, with round, almost bulging eyes if I remember correctly and it has two band through its head. Quite distinctive and I'm surprised I haven't been able to identify it more easily. We do have a lot of snakes here in Aus' though ! :D

mysassyself wrote:
there was one under our stairs, though it was far too quick for me to get anywhere near being able to catch it and was only about 50cm long, the same size as the marsh snake, with round, almost bulging eyes

um, I don't want to scare you, but that's almost definitely a whip snake.
Do Not Approach ! Do not corner !
They will flee at provocation, relying on their innate speed to avoid predation.
If you see it in your house again, call a professional snake handler in to remove it!

Spazzergasm
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2010, 10:28 am

mysassyself wrote:
This one is listed as a hypomelanistic coastal carpet python. Almost albino; although it doesn't have much pigmentation I would not think it could be classified as a true albino. It is beautiful to look at, I think. Image

How lucky you are to find a python!
I agree, that's a beautiful morph. The face is quite intelligent and striking looking.

mysassyself
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2010, 7:14 pm

syzygyish wrote:
mysassyself wrote:
We also have a (completely different) species wild around here that I haven't been able to identify properly. Word of mouth says whip snake. It looks a little like this:

The marsh snake, whose habitat is listed as SE Qld and in moister climates, so it could be this one .. the snake that lives here - there was one under our stairs, though it was far too quick for me to get anywhere near being able to catch it and was only about 50cm long, the same size as the marsh snake) - is an orange kind of colour, with round, almost bulging eyes if I remember correctly and it has two band through its head. Quite distinctive and I'm surprised I haven't been able to identify it more easily. We do have a lot of snakes here in Aus' though ! :D

mysassyself wrote:
there was one under our stairs, though it was far too quick for me to get anywhere near being able to catch it and was only about 50cm long, the same size as the marsh snake, with round, almost bulging eyes

um, I don't want to scare you, but that's almost definitely a whip snake.
Do Not Approach ! Do not corner !
They will flee at provocation, relying on their innate speed to avoid predation.
If you see it in your house again, call a professional snake handler in to remove it!

Yes, I agree that it does sound very much like a whip snake. I had wondered if that's really what it was, though. However, syzygyish, m whip snakes are only mildly venomous and this one is very shy and gets away very fast; I really don't think that it's a danger. Like most snakes, it is much more scared of me than I of it. And.. I'm not silly. But, thank you for your concern. :D

Since the last time I saw it, there have been two blue tongue lizards underneath the house near where the snake was living. Actually, they were mating, which is supposed to be a sign of luck. In fact, I have had a lot of good luck since that time! :D
Very often, blue tongues and snakes won't share the same habitat. I don't think that the whip snake is around any more.

A Thursday child ..

syzygyish
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2010, 7:44 pm

mysassyself wrote:
there was one under our stairs, though it was far too quick for me to get anywhere near being able to catch it

The 'catch it' was what had me worried! That's when people get bitten. :(

mysassyself wrote:
Yes, I agree that it does sound very much like a whip snake. I had wondered if that's really what it was, though. However, syzygyish, m whip snakes are only mildly venomous and this one is very shy and gets away very fast; I really don't think that it's a danger. Like most snakes, it is much more scared of me than I of it. And.. I'm not silly. But, thank you for your concern. :D

Since the last time I saw it, there have been two blue tongue lizards underneath the house near where the snake was living. Actually, they were mating, which is supposed to be a sign of luck. In fact, I have had a lot of good luck since that time! :D
Very often, blue tongues and snakes won't share the same habitat. I don't think that the whip snake is around any more.

Oh, Blue Tongues are awesome ! :D
I saw one in our garden last year, but they don't hang around long, here. :(
I didn't know that about them not sharing the same habitat, Thanks !
We're definitely getting more wildlife showing themselves since we got rid of the cat.
My latest find was a Tawny Frogmouth that I caught in the headlights as I drove into the house. It had just jumped down onto the ground to catch something.
I got out and had a good look at, but forgot to come back out and take a photo Again when I got back inside! :wall:

Found a cool photo of a Twig Snake skeleton today :
There's a thriving industry for animal skeletons :
http://www.tellmewhereonearth.com/Web%2 ... Page_3.htm

It'd be cool to have one, but since they breed them to kill them,
No Thanks ! :shameonyou:

syzygyish
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2010, 6:59 am

Hey guys and girls, just giving this thread a gentle kick in the butt! :)
Any new photos of the babies ?
I am sure they have grown up quite a bit !
ColdBlooded, dossa, ImNotOk, Twi, Feral-sapien, Spazzergasm,
I'm Talking To You!

I missed out on seeing a wild snake the other day ! :(
I had to go out and when I got back I was told that I had missed out on seeing
"A blunt headed, grey bodied snake sunning itself on the Lomandra confertifolias
in the mid-morning sun that that took off like a bullet the moment it was discovered!"

Utterly spewing I missed out on that moment! :x

Spazzergasm
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2010, 10:14 am

Awww, I'm sorry you missed it. I know how that feels. My friend found an adder the other day. I'd have REALLY loved to see it.

Avarice
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2010, 7:10 am

I didn't vote because there wasn't a "love snakes but haven't had one" option.

I would keep a snake but ca't at the moment.

MrSinister
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2010, 9:12 am

Wouldn't keep a snake as a pet, but they do look very cool. Although when people take them for walkies into supermarkets, that's when things get freaky (I read an entry at NotAlwaysRight.com where a shop assistant had to get a guy to leave because he'd walked in with his boa constrictor draped around his shoulders).

No, the reptile I'd most like to keep would be an iguana. In conjunction with my swivel chair, that would make me the epitome of a Bond villain :)

"Ah, Mr Bond... I have been expecting you..."

pumibel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2010, 9:32 am

I like snakes, but I also like rodents so I couldn't feed the snake without feeling guilty.

Spazzergasm
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2010, 9:04 pm

MrSinister wrote:
Wouldn't keep a snake as a pet, but they do look very cool. Although when people take them for walkies into supermarkets, that's when things get freaky (I read an entry at NotAlwaysRight.com where a shop assistant had to get a guy to leave because he'd walked in with his boa constrictor draped around his shoulders).

No, the reptile I'd most like to keep would be an iguana. In conjunction with my swivel chair, that would make me the epitome of a Bond villain :)

"Ah, Mr Bond... I have been expecting you..."

People who take snakes into public overtly are very silly.

Is there a villain with an iguana?