Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2010, 3:45 am

In 2009, I've personally learned that it's better to be myself, than it is to try to be the tough girl. I've learned that there was a decent person, under the green hair gel and the leather and super tight jeans. I've learned to drop the tough girl mask, to stop calling myself Sid, and to find a better role model who suited me a lot better. I've also learned that it's best to be like the person that God wants me to be like, whether the person is an ordinary person, or someone famous. I've also learned for myself, that if I happen to be like Mick Avory in more ways than one, which is the truth, than I just go along with that and go on with my life. Who cares what my mum said about that, 11 years ago, when I was first diagnosed with Depression? I've also learned during the closing minutes of 2009, that I make a lousy Ray Davies. I tried a balancing act with a wine glass, like Ray Davies would do with a can or bottle of beer and the empty glass fell of my head and smashed to pieces on a floor that was covered in carpeting. There was a New Year's Eve party in the rec room on the main floor of my complex that I was at, when that all happened.

mjs82
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2010, 4:03 am

Understanding character - both in storytelling and real life

jocundthelilac
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2010, 6:29 am

I learned that it's better to be open about one's special interests than closeted- that led to my depressive episode back in 2007 :(

I learned that there are thousands more like me, here on WP.

Magnús Scheving is my Icelandic rose :)

xalepax
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2010, 9:24 am

I learned that I should still give a damn about past issues I once left behind like I have always done. In 2009 I tried to confront at least two and they both turned into disaster results. I should keep my motto in leaving and never ever look back again.

But I also learned that terminating and eliminating past issues in a Complete And Final way is the ultimate best way in erasing a bugging past issue forever!! !

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2010, 10:00 am

With help from many folks here (after being previously tipped off by four others), I learned about my self-identified AS/HFA.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2010, 12:23 pm

It is possible to define the real numbers without first defining the rational numbers by a Eudoxian construction.

ruveyn

Tetraquartz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Jan 2010, 4:24 pm

I learned that "bettering myself" means to get more in touch with what I am, and what I have within.
"Bettering myself" means more self-acceptance as I already am.
This year I will continue to work on self-acceptance.
I have noticed self acceptance tends to repair a lot of self esteem problems, and when others try to put me down, I recognize it as a weakness of theirs, and not of mine.
8)

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2010, 2:09 am

For starters, I learned a couple of life lessons:

- Letting go of the past might be intimidating at first, but it's ultimately very liberating.
- The opinions of strangers don't matter in the long run, and if people can't accept me for who I am, then they're not worth my time.

I also learned how to cook quesadillas on the stove. :D

harlequinsenor
Raven
Raven

02 Jan 2010, 3:34 am

Stay away from drugs.

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2010, 4:10 am

I learnt that recurring depression is a huge obstacle to be overcome --- they can even try the most daring and able people!

dddhgg
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2010, 8:16 am

ruveyn wrote:
It is possible to define the real numbers without first defining the rational numbers by a Eudoxian construction.

ruveyn

How is this done exactly?

willa
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2010, 11:45 am

I learned a lot about people, friends and family. A lot about whom amongst them were true and sincere and who were just pretending.