No (except my eyes). 26%  26%  [ 12 ]
Yes, binoculars only. 11%  11%  [ 5 ]
Yes, telescope. 64%  64%  [ 30 ]
Total votes : 47

danandlouie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2010, 12:06 am

have an old celestron powerstar 3, an 8 inch s c t. fairly gimpy due to much trauma so it rarely gets used. too bad.

Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2010, 9:44 pm

ruveyn wrote:
There is so much light pollution where I live having an astronomical telescope is futile. If I lived far out from city light I would get me a small reflector telescope and have lots of fun.

ruveyn

I too live in one of the most light polluted city in the world, but I travel about 30 km to the countryside (by bus!), with my cheap 90mm Makasutov and camera tripod for star glazing.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2010, 10:14 pm

i live too far from good viewing sights and conditions for astronomy to be a practiceable hobby. too much smog from wood-burning stoves/open fires, too many tall trees, too much streetlight polution. but i watch star hustler on PBS and every now and then i can see the larger things that jack points out, through a wide-angle 7x set of binos. i have found that any "department store" telescope is totally worthless, with too much vibration/shake/fuzzy optics/insufficient resolving power in general. also, any binos stronger than roughly 7x introduce too much magnified hand shake to see anything but weird light streaks instead of pinpoint astronomical objects in the night sky.

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2010, 10:26 pm

I have a 10 inch reflector.

krzysz00
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Aug 2010, 7:18 am

Got a telescope that sucks, doesn't magnify much and can't f***ing stay licked in place so we can see anything.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2010, 2:50 am

krzysz00 wrote:
Got a telescope that sucks, doesn't magnify much and can't f***ing stay licked in place so we can see anything.

unfortunately, that sounds like a typical "department store" 'scope, which is cheaply made, with a tiny poorly-polished and uncollimated mirror. you need something with a solid motorized mount, with at least a 5" mirror to be able to reliably resolve anything more distant than the moon and larger planets. it is also best if you live in a dark place away from streetlights and pollution, at a higher elevation. if you can't see the milky way from where you use your 'scope, that is a sign of generally bad viewing.
astronomy is an exacting and expensive hobby.

starquake
Raven
Raven

23 Aug 2010, 10:06 am

yes, I have a 4" newt, a 12" newt, a 6" mirror i was grinding myself (with a strehl over 98%!) that will be the primary of a telescope soon and a 10x50 bino.

and soon I'll have my own observatory (the walls are ready, the dome is missing).

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 2:46 pm

starquake wrote:
yes, I have a 4" newt, a 12" newt, a 6" mirror i was grinding myself (with a strehl over 98%!) that will be the primary of a telescope soon and a 10x50 bino.

and soon I'll have my own observatory (the walls are ready, the dome is missing).

hopefully where you place your observatory is good and dark, with clear viewing.

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 4:28 pm

Only a 2.3*10^8" planet. It keeps a steady course about the local sun useful for long-term parallax observation, but whoever designed it put the life-support gas storage directly above the observation deck so the seeing's terrible.

The year is still young.

starquake
Raven
Raven

23 Aug 2010, 11:51 pm

auntblabby wrote:
hopefully where you place your observatory is good and dark, with clear viewing.

about 6.5 visual limiting magnitude (considered really good in my area), but we usually have terrible seeing conditions because of humid air. only 180m above sea level :(

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2010, 1:08 am

starquake wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

about 6.5 visual limiting magnitude (considered really good in my area), but we usually have terrible seeing conditions because of humid air. only 180m above sea level :(

at least you're not surrounded by tall trees.

nodice1996
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

24 Aug 2010, 1:57 am

I have a telescope, but nowhere dark/treeless enough to use it.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2010, 2:04 am

nodice1996 wrote:
I have a telescope, but nowhere dark/treeless enough to use it.

you're gonna have to be willing to drive you and your 'scope at least a half-hour outside of town before it will be dark and clear enough for good viewing.
hint- if you can easily make out the milky way, then it is adequately good viewing, but anything less and you might as well forget it.

starquake
Raven
Raven

24 Aug 2010, 5:10 am

auntblabby wrote:
starquake wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

at least you're not surrounded by tall trees.

that's true, I'm surrounded by short trees standing on tall hills just behind the house. I have maybe 20 degrees stretch of sky to observe from the valley I live in :D

Arius_Reborn
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 May 2011, 5:26 am

I have a CGEM 1100HD. I just recently purchased a Canon XSi and hope to attempt some astrophotography soon.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2011, 12:34 pm

Arius_Reborn wrote:
I have a CGEM 1100HD. I just recently purchased a Canon XSi and hope to attempt some astrophotography soon.

just curious, how high above sea level is your viewing place? how is the viewing in monterey in general?