Page 2 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2010, 11:19 am

I actually have to cook a lot, even though I find the process kind of overwhelming these days.
In my more-gregarious youth I was really into baking, and would frequently bake cookies and hand them out at school...usually with some sort of occasion attached to them...like my Bill Clinton victory cookies....Usually they were oatmeal and/or peanut butter based, and i did lots of experimenting with the ingredients.

I often have to cook for large groups of people...and I have really bad executive dysfunction...and a tiny tiny kitchen, that is actually more of a hallway...and the only appliances I have are a double burner with only one working burner...a toaster over (brand new as our old one pooped out)...and a crock pot.
There are a few dishes that I know well....but I get pretty stumped when I stray from that path.
I make an award-winning vegan chili....
I have hang-ups regarding other dishes...I had to make back eyed peas and cabbage 2 days in a row...I prepared them differently each time...
I want to learn to make better soups...
My notions of seasoning result in a lot of my food tasting about the same.
In my current phase, my rule seems to be "when in doubt, use curry powder"...another rule is "add extra turmeric to everything"
I have made a few disasters...I have taken instructions literally with absurd results...that defy all common sense...
I was really stressed and Flakey had bought all the ingredients for pasta primavera...I got totally stumped and ended up in tears with the mostly-raw vegetables in the cooked sauce....

My mom's major obsession is cooking...and that is all she will talk about...and she is..howyousay....extremely experimental...and frequently will launch into overwhelming monologues on how she makes stuff.

Sometimes, when I am not cooking in bulk, the best I can do is chuck a pizza into the toaster oven...

RockDrummer616
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2010, 12:15 pm

I like cooking and I'm pretty decent at following a recipe. My mom and I made smothered pork yesterday and it turned out pretty good, even though it was a little overcooked. But the last time we cooked we made chicken and dumplings (which is one of my favorites) and it was absolutely perfect.

glenna74
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Jan 2010, 12:23 pm

I cannot cook. It's shameful how poorly I do in the kitchen, really. Even going grocery shopping sends me into a panic. I know I get the wrong stuff. I leave the shopping to my husband and would really prefer if he did all the cooking. When I am left to feed the kids, it's something frozen heated in the oven or noodles in a pot on the stove. I just can't do any more.

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2010, 12:37 pm

Dantac wrote:
Its a learning curve. When I started all I could cook was bacon, eggs and microwave food.

I literally would burn soup @ 22yrs.

Started by learning what I loved to eat the most.. sushi. Very easy recipe to follow.

The little by little tried out cooking fish, meat and other things sticking to the simplest recipes.. the results were not very tasty (simple recipe=simple taste) so for a while I lost interest in it since the results weren't encouraging enough.

then...

I discovered the slow cooker (crock-pot).

:D

To anyone wanting to learn how to cook I recomend one of these!

You literally can't screw up. You can get a big piece of beef, put it in the pot, pour water or beer or even cheap wine on it, random spices to your taste, boillon cubes and just turn the thing on and go enjoy your day. 8 hours later you come back and it will have made you the best, most flavorful beef stew you'll ever have.

no mess either, easy to clean since its just the one pot. :)

cooks everything from veggies to fish to chicken to soups and even eggs (yes.. one boring day i cracked a whole carton of eggs in there without beating them or anything.. poured some salt over 'em and turned it on for a 4hr run. Came back and had a piece and it was glorious..better than pan-fried eggs).

After a couple of years of enjoying the crock pot and experimenting with it and learning you can easily move back to pots and pans and go ahead from there. In my case I did so to make the side-dishes for the main meal being cooked in the slow cooker.

I love the crockpot! I have beef stew cooking in one right now. wonderful thing to eat when it's -23F out!

glenna74

03 Jan 2010, 1:29 am

I think part of my problem is that I feel a huge pressure when it comes to cooking. I can bake. My rationale is that if I screw up baking, that's cool: no one *needs* cake/cookies/pie etc. If I screw up dinner, we're all hungry. The thing is, I've never screwed up baking, but still I have a block when it comes to cooking actual meals.

We have a crock pot but I personally have never used it. The thought of touching raw meat skeeves me out something fierce. I do periodically leaf through the crock pot cookbooks we have. Maybe after doing it a number of times I'll actually try it out. Maybe. Heh.

Spazzergasm
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2010, 1:40 am

glenna74 wrote:
I think part of my problem is that I feel a huge pressure when it comes to cooking. I can bake. My rationale is that if I screw up baking, that's cool: no one *needs* cake/cookies/pie etc. If I screw up dinner, we're all hungry. The thing is, I've never screwed up baking, but still I have a block when it comes to cooking actual meals.

We have a crock pot but I personally have never used it. The thought of touching raw meat skeeves me out something fierce. I do periodically leaf through the crock pot cookbooks we have. Maybe after doing it a number of times I'll actually try it out. Maybe. Heh.

I thought I was the only one who experienced pressure and anxiety when asked to cook!

Lol, I LOVE the texture of raw meat. it's so fun.

glenna74

03 Jan 2010, 1:43 am

Oh gosh, for me some of the most dreaded words are, "Mom... I'm hungry." Talk about pressure!

Sallamandrina
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2010, 6:34 am

I love cooking and I'm an excellent and rather adventurous cook. I always start from scratch and dislike using any "ready to use" stuff.

dddhgg wrote:
Spokane_Girl wrote:
dddhgg wrote:
I honestly don't understand why so many people (Aspies as well as NTs) have trouble cooking - apart from maybe the very beginning of the learning curve. If the recipe used is anywhere near decent, then cooking is just following a certain set of rules. Cooking is indeed very much an algorithmic activity.

For some reason I have difficulty understanding cooking instructions but I can understand simple instructions like I can with easy cookie mix and easy cake mix and how to make cranberry salad, I just need to learn the steps.

I think me having difficulty is due to my learning difficulties so it makes it hard for me to understand cooking instructions unless they are simple.

You're right. Many recipes are sort of abbreviated and use all kinds of culinary jargon which often obscures rather than clarifies. But once you get the hang of the words used, most recipes aren't all that difficult. You've just given me a great idea for a cooking thread.

You hit the nail on the head. Most recipes are written for people that already have a certain amount of experience. When I first started I was also very confused about most of it - quantities, timing and so on. I used to call my mother with lists of questions - how thin should I slice this and that? How many minutes should I cook the onion before adding the meat? Exactly what does "medium heat" mean? How large should "a cup of cream" be? :lol: It took a while to sort everything out, but the first successful results will boost your confidence and motivation and after you do it long enough you hardly need to measure or time anything. These days I only use a recipe as a starting point and prefer to improvise. Lately I've tried quite a few Asian dishes - most have rather short cooking times and the new spices and flavours make both cooking and eating a joy.

As somebody mentioned, a crock pot is an excellent investment for those who don't have enough time or skill and the result will be way healthier and tastier that the microwaved/frozen stuff.

* I look forward to your cooking thread, dddhgg