11 predictions that Back to the Future Part II got right and

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

tinky
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2010, 5:49 pm

wrong.

i've always wondered about this. they've got five years to prove to us that this movie is legit. :P

http://www.11points.com/Movies/11_Predi ... _Got_Right

http://www.11points.com/Movies/11_Predi ... _Got_Wrong

tinky's WP Mod email account: [email protected]

you may tire of the world but the world will never tire of you

digger1
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2010, 6:56 pm

sci-fi writers should do away with the notion of flying cars altogether.

People have a hard enough time driving in two dimensions let alone three.

mjs82
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2010, 7:52 pm

We need to be investing more money into the hoverboard industry. Forget the auto bailout, put that dosh into something really important.

You know what bugged me most about BTTFII? The fact that Old Biff came back to 2015 after changing the future. In the first movie it is clearly established that if you change something big enough in the past, you will be erased from history. So when Old Biff gives young Biff the sports almanac and proves it to him - Old Biff should be fading away - and technically if that change in the timeline meant that Doc Brown was committed BEFORE he built the DeLorean - then the time machine should disappear too (but that's by the by).

Any way... reading an FAQ with Robert Zemeckis - he said that what happens is that Old Biff changes history - and when he returns to Hill Dale in 2015 it's actually the Hill Dale of the Evil Biff Future World (even though it looks exactly the same). He also said that if Doc and Marty had gone back inside Marty's future house, they would have found it completely different - maybe different people would be living there. So his suggestions is that the universe 'formed' around them as per Doc's description.

BUT this raises the questions...

If Doc was committed now in the past, he never time travelled, so he too should be erased - along with Marty?
and
If Old Biff starts fading away upon his return to the future, does that mean that there's a delay effect with being erased?

I love this movie but I think they were stuck - Old Biff needed to change the past - but how does the time machine come back so Marty and Doc have a chance of correcting it?

I would've just had Einstein go back with Old Biff and he could have piloted it back or something. It would have about the same level of logic to it...

And don't get me started on John Connor...

Lecks
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2010, 8:06 pm

digger1 wrote:

Imagine drunk drivers in flying cars. There would be nowhere to run! Except underground, and thus began our war with the mole people.

Damn flying cars.

Asmodeus
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2010, 9:12 pm

I think flying cars will come some time, after computer controlled land cars have already been perfected.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2010, 9:14 pm

digger1 wrote:

It's already been done!

If you're rich, by which I mean you have a spare 324 grand you're not using, you can buy one here: http://www.firebox.com/product/415/Moller-Skycar-M400 :P

01 Jan 2010, 10:46 pm

The future was meant to be joke, nothing serious and some people actually thought hover boards existed 8O

But things they got right was just a coincidence

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2010, 1:22 pm

mjs82 wrote:
We need to be investing more money into the hoverboard industry. Forget the auto bailout, put that dosh into something really important.

Yeah.... since people will have trouble controlling flying cars, lets get invest our time and effort on researching flying skateboards instead. --OTOH, I would immensely enjoy having a flying skateboard.

Wombat
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2010, 6:19 am

What struck me is that there was a HUGE difference between the world of 1955 and that of 1985 or whenever it was.

From 1985 to now the changes have been minimal except for better computers and mobile phones.

It is like the changes at the beginning of the 20th century. In 1900 women wore long dresses and had chaperones on a date just like their Victorian mothers.

By the 1920's girls were "liberated" "flappers" who drank, smoked cigarettes and rode around in motor cars with their young men.

A HUGE change in one generation. Why?

tinky
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2010, 4:55 pm

if flying cars actually flew high in the air we'd have to have parachutes in the flying cars or...

"...and in other news a 5 car pile up on the main airway saw people flung from their cars. A victim of the car crash crushed another man when he hit the ground....in another news, candy! yes we're going to a candy factory in vermont where..."

mjs82
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2010, 6:01 pm

tinky wrote:
if flying cars actually flew high in the air we'd have to have parachutes in the flying cars or...

"...and in other news a 5 car pile up on the main airway saw people flung from their cars. A victim of the car crash crushed another man when he hit the ground....in another news, candy! yes we're going to a candy factory in vermont where..."

Don't forget the people below on the ground who were crush to death by plummeting wreckage.

And on the lighter side of the news, Muffy the cat gave birth to twelve healthy kittens.

tinky
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2010, 7:58 pm

that's totally supposed to say "in other news" not another news. doy....

ya know i didn't think of the falling wreckage. "Everybody run! Car crash!" "Ahhh!! !"
"It's summertime and you know what that means...yes bands of families with their cars packed with luggage. Watch out for falling luggage and surf boards!"