Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

veiledexpressions
Toucan
Toucan

02 Jan 2010, 1:43 am

How well to you receive criticism?

I try to control myself, but even when I perceive the slightest hint of criticism, I become rude and condescending. My mental reaction is positively vicious. Sometimes, I am able to control it internally, so that I don't unleash a string of derision upon the person criticizing me. Other times, I'm just mean.

This is even true of constructive criticism, and times when I am not being criticized, but believe I am.

ugh :( I'd like to be nicer.

Last edited by veiledexpressions on 02 Jan 2010, 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Snazzlestick
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Jan 2010, 1:50 am

I react badly to criticism from somebody who knows me well. As for criticism from anyone else, f**k them 8)

02 Jan 2010, 2:09 am

I take it well unless they're bad ones.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2010, 2:26 am

I accept and even encourage constructive criticism from people whom I'm very close to - my parents and brother. But if I receive criticism from just about anyone else, my feelings get hurt and I either start crying or get really angry, even if the criticism was well-intentioned.

I think the reason why I accept criticism from my family well is because there's no doubt in my mind that they're critiquing me because they genuinely want to see me do better. But when other people criticize me, I always think they have an ulterior motive of being mean to me.

Last edited by IdahoRose on 02 Jan 2010, 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

matt
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2010, 2:28 am

I handle criticism very poorly. I often involuntarily stop responding.

And then I think about it almost constantly for a long time. I may even think about it years later.

I understand that there are two types of criticism: one that is intended to judge and one that is intended to be a joke, but I am not good at distinguishing between them and unless I am sure that someone is trying to help I tend to assume that criticism was intended to hurt.

It either hurts me, or if the criticism came from someone who does something worse than I do or who is more guilty of whatever fault the criticism is about I am either confused at why the person is criticizing me for something they are worse about. I am incredibly angry about the criticism.

Sometimes I don't know if something was intended as criticism because I don't know whether something being talked about is considered negative.

ColdBlooded
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2010, 2:33 am

I take it horribly. I argue, and it can easily turn into a meltdown. That's happened several times at work.

harlequinsenor
Raven
Raven

02 Jan 2010, 3:23 am

I don't take criticism well at all. I usually react angrily and see the person as an enemy forever afterward.

LittleTigger
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2010, 3:43 am

How well do I receive or handle it?

I think that is all a matter of opinion,
so all I am able to give is my opinion on
What I Feel like how I handle it.

I think I handel it fine, but I react to it:

I tantrum if its done mean, I throw things
and stomp off, I have no problem with how
I handle it, it is how I am wired and I don't
plan on changing it because it is NOT possible.

If one wishes me to hear their "criticism" and
not throw it back in their face or tantrum then
they have to deliver it gently, or I will tantrum.

Either way is fine with me, it is how they wish
me to react, if they don't want a tantrum of
their hands, then the decision is up to them.

It is other people handicapped or not, condition or not,
that have a problem with how I react,
I don't have a problem with something I am
not able to alter. Already tried, can't do it.

When society stops expecting
too much from me, I will
stop disappointing them.

Eirun
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Jan 2010, 7:48 am

It depends how its given to me. My fianceé has the habit of first telling me that whatever he says next, isnt meant to hurt me, but to help me. This helps me to handle the critism better actually. ;)
If I get critism thrown at me out of the blue I easily get offended and hurt and dont really understand what they mean and what I did wrong. I take the critism more personal then. Like I deserved to hear how bad I am.
Im working constantly on improving this. but its not easy..

jocundthelilac
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2010, 7:50 am

I can take minor criticism, but I used to find it hard, especially on dA, to distinguish between major criticism and trolling, but am learning to tell the difference.

Magnús Scheving is my Icelandic rose :)

Metal_Man
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2010, 7:57 am

Good, honest constructive criticism is something I actively seek. Anything beyond that I really just don't care.

iniudan
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Jan 2010, 11:44 am

I can take critic very well if not done in vile fashion, take me a bit to process them if you don't arrive with irrefutable fact through.

I am someone very open minded, I describe my mind has a ball of clay in a nut shell. I am too open minded for my own good so needed to put heavy defense around it, which I why I often go in argument mode for I want those fact has to why I should change my idea or way to be, then depending on how good the argumentation came to be I come to adapt the new idea to my old one, erase it or replace it depending on situation.

There is actually a lot more to all this but very hard to explain in clear verbal term, so will end this here for now, not really in a good state of mind for very deep explaination on this subject today.

CleverKitten
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2010, 11:45 am

I love constructive criticism! If there is something wrong with what I've done, I want to know! If there is a reasonably better way, I want to know!
Such as, "The new light fixture looks nice, but it needs brighter bulbs. It's a bit too dim in here."

What I don't like is criticism meant to be mean or mock.
Like saying, "This house is absolutely filthy and ugly. How could you live in such horrible unsanitary conditions?!"
(There is only a little bit of dust on the high shelves and a teensy bit of dirt on the floor because I have not yet gotten a chance to sweep.)

Check out my blog: http://glanceoutthewindow.blogspot.com/

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2010, 12:08 pm

CleverKitten wrote:
I love constructive criticism! If there is something wrong with what I've done, I want to know! If there is a reasonably better way, I want to know!

Same here, but I at least mentally spit in the face of arrogance presuming to mock or ridicule me.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2010, 12:43 pm

If it's constructive criticism I listen to it and try to learn from it. If it's just "you're crap" without giving any reason, I ignore it.

superboyian
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2010, 4:47 pm

I would probably end up having another meltdown... I sometimes don't take it very well, well if thats only a bullying criticism then i'd probably end up crying.... :cry:

CleverKitten wrote:

Yes I do also want to know, but I ended up getting shouted at so sometimes I try to avoid it in so many ways but i simply just cant seem to do it... The best way to avoid it is buy a pear of ear plug/ear defender so you don't have to hear it.... But its easier to hear it so the next time, you don't have to hear it again... :)