Late in life diagnosis...Did it change your life?

Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2010, 9:55 pm

dustintorch wrote:
My life has drastically changed since being diagnosed. I'm a new person I feel like.

So I want to know if it has changed anyone elses life

We seem to have responded more or less the same to out discoveries of AS.

I too am less stressed in 'social situations' because of my knowledge.

I am also less interested in 'being social' than I was before my discovery but I tend to appreciate the selected 'social' things that I now do (for me instead of just to try to 'fit in' and be 'normal') more now than before.

I have also developed an appreciation of my need for and enjoyment of time spent alone.

Happy New Year!

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2010, 12:39 am

FeralAspie wrote:
alana wrote:
I hesitate to post this but I had a tremendous amount of anger and grief when I figured out my problem was neurological not psychological. I still feel grief for the tremendous amount of misplaced energy trying to improve in areas in which I will never have mastery. That time can't be gotten back.

This is the biggest thing that has hit me since I was formally diagnosed about a month ago. I really don't know how to put into words how this is impacting me, I guess its too early to tell. But it feels sort of like I have gone from master of my self to slave to my neurology. I know there can freedom to be found in there somewhere with my acceptance of the way things are rather than trying to change them but that is contrary to the whole of my first 40 years of life. I wish I'd known sooner.

I wish I had known sooner, too. However, over the months and years of realizing my condition I have come to understand I am unique in my living my life unimpeded by anything other than my own inability to comprehend what was being asked of me. That is why I use the personal title of "Free Range Aspie".

Merle