Mental Illnesses and Maybe Medications

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2010, 2:35 pm

I decided to create this topic when a poster named Fudo asked me to talk about my struggle with OCD in another one of my threads, and I thought of creating a broader topic where others could share their experiences with various mental illnesses and possibly also with psychiatric meds they've tried. I'll share my story first:

--------

I was terrified of germs and of catching illnesses, so I washed my hands continuously. I didn't stop washing even when they were raw and painful. When I got ready for bed, my pajamas had to be absolutely immaculate or I couldn't sleep. Naturally, this led to me changing clothes many times throughout the night. Sometimes I even slept in my underwear because I'd gone through my entire pajama wardrobe. Also, there were times when I refused to swallow my own saliva, for fear that it was contaminated, so I made a lot of trips to the trashcan or sink to spit.

On top of my OCD, I also had severe anxiety that caused insomnia, as well as a terrible gagging sensation in my throat. I was in a nigh-constant state of terror; my heart pounded round the clock and my breathing was always fast and shallow. At this point I wasn't really living, just surviving.

Then I began seeing a therapist, who officially diagnosed me with both anxiety and OCD. She soon advised me to see a psychiatrist. She basically said that I wouldn't get better unless I took medication. So I went to the psychiatrist (who is still my psychiatrist to this day) and he prescribed me Xanax for the anxiety and Lexapro for the OCD. He also prescribed me Risperdal, an anti-psychotic, because I had also begun to develop some psychotic thoughts, including the strong desire to hurt myself and other people.

The Xanax and Risperdal worked immediately. I began sleeping through the night and I gained the ability to completely relax for perhaps the first time in my life. The Lexapro took at least 3 months to start working, but it was well worth the wait. Before I knew it, the need to wash, spit and change clothes diminished and my hands healed up. In fact, nowadays I'm the complete opposite of the way I used to be - a total slob! :lol:

To be honest, my parents and I used to hate the idea of taking psychiatric medication. We thought that it turned people into lifeless zombies. I was also afraid that it would cause me to lose my vivid imagination. However, the decision to start taking the medication was one of the best decisions I've ever made, because now I'm in a better state of mental health than ever before. And I didn't lose my imagination, either - in fact, I think I may even be more creative with meds than without meds! :)

Snazzlestick
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Jan 2010, 4:10 pm

I have a form of OCD called Trichotillomania (compulsive hair-pulling) so I can relate and empathise. I've also been depressed on and off since I've been 9 years old, am Bulimic and possibly have Borderline Personality Disorder, although this I have to yet get officially dxed with.

Have been on Prozac, Citalopram and Effexor. I want new meds cause lately things have started getting bad again but a part of me doesn't really fancy battling any side-effects again :roll: I wish I could be prescribed Adderall, that would be perfect :D

The blues are because you're getting fat, and maybe it's been raining too long. You're just sad, that's all. The mean reds are horrible. Suddenly you're afraid, and you don't know what you're afraid of.