What book are you reading right now?

Page 10 of 12 [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Nov 2014
Gender: Female
Posts: 8,016
Location: Kansas

22 Jun 2016, 3:20 am

underwater wrote:
nurseangela wrote:
nurseangela wrote:
It's a toss up between Stephen King's "Mr. Mercedes" or Mary Higgins Clark's "I'll Walk Alone" or Dean Koontz's "Ashley Bell" or James Patterson's "The Murder House". BUT, it won't matter because when July 12th gets here, the next Amish murder book comes out on that day - Linda Castillo's "Among the Wicked". I can't wait!

I'm almost done now with Nora Robert's "Obsession". It takes me forever to read a book with school going on since I only read before I go to sleep. (Heavy sigh)


Well, Stephen King's "Mr. Mercedes" is out for right now - I read the first chapter and there's just too much death. I'm depressed enough as it is.

So, let's try a sample of the next one - James Patterson's "The Murder House". :mrgreen: What a nice cheery title.


Are you a crime fan? Have you tried Alan Bradley's Flavia de Luce mysteries? I adore them :heart:


I love mystery books but I hate change so I tend to stay with the 8 or so authors that I've been reading for years. Every now and then, I'll add an author, like this last book I read was by Nora Robert's, that is new and so now I know how her books read so I may try her again once I exhaust all of my other authors. I'm strange.


_________________
Me grumpy?
I'm happiness challenged.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.


DancingCorpse
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Dec 2015
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,527

22 Jun 2016, 3:45 am

As I've said before I read around 15 at once so I will keep popping in mentioning them in rotation :lol: One of them is currently Journey To The Centre of the Earth by Jules Verne, got it for 75p in a charity shop, I love charity shop books!


_________________
'He wondered, as he had many times wondered before, whether he himself was a lunatic... perhaps a lunatic was simply a minority of one?'


Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Age: 52
Gender: Male
Posts: 37,805
Location: Spokane area, Washington state.

22 Jun 2016, 12:06 pm

underwater wrote:
nurseangela wrote:
nurseangela wrote:
It's a toss up between Stephen King's "Mr. Mercedes" or Mary Higgins Clark's "I'll Walk Alone" or Dean Koontz's "Ashley Bell" or James Patterson's "The Murder House". BUT, it won't matter because when July 12th gets here, the next Amish murder book comes out on that day - Linda Castillo's "Among the Wicked". I can't wait!

I'm almost done now with Nora Robert's "Obsession". It takes me forever to read a book with school going on since I only read before I go to sleep. (Heavy sigh)


Well, Stephen King's "Mr. Mercedes" is out for right now - I read the first chapter and there's just too much death. I'm depressed enough as it is.

So, let's try a sample of the next one - James Patterson's "The Murder House". :mrgreen: What a nice cheery title.


Are you a crime fan? Have you tried Alan Bradley's Flavia de Luce mysteries? I adore them :heart:


When it comes to crime fiction, my favorite author is James Elroy, who is perhaps best known for L.A. Confidential, and The Black Dahlia, as those two have been made into movies.


_________________
-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer


GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Sep 2009
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,139

25 Jun 2016, 1:10 pm

Just read this today:

Image

As anyone who has been following my WP posts on religion and politics in the US might have guessed, I am no fan of the specific branch of Christianity in the United States known under the general label "Evangelicalism".

I had hoped that a deeper understanding of Evangelicalism would alleviate my scepticism and justify a more nuanced attitude towards the tradition.

It did not.

The author - with damnable quotes from leading White Evangelical leaders - aptly illustrates how White Evangelical Christianity was almost synonymous with White Supremacist thought and racism well past WWII. He also demonstrates who the use of "pre-millennial" arguments by Evangelicals about the Second Coming of Christ was used as a convenient pretext for disregarding any "Love Thy Neighbour" creed and/or emphasis on social justice which has otherwise been a central part of both Lutheran and Catholic thought in other countries.

I think it is illustrative that the following quote about Evangelicalism from the book...

"Nevertheless, it is true that just now the Fundamentalists are giving us one of the worst exhibitions of bitter intolerance that the churches of this country have ever seen."

... wasn't made by a modern Dawkins-style-atheist, but by the American pastor Harry Emerson Fosdick in 1922.


_________________
Our comforting conviction that the world makes sense rests on a secure foundation: our almost unlimited ability to ignore our ignorance.

- Daniel Kahneman


nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Nov 2014
Gender: Female
Posts: 8,016
Location: Kansas

25 Jun 2016, 1:26 pm

The decision was made! I just got offered James Patterson's "The Murder House" for $2.99! The book is like $15+! So that is my next book to read! :mrgreen:


_________________
Me grumpy?
I'm happiness challenged.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.


Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Age: 52
Gender: Male
Posts: 37,805
Location: Spokane area, Washington state.

25 Jun 2016, 3:02 pm

GGPViper wrote:
Just read this today:

Image

As anyone who has been following my WP posts on religion and politics in the US might have guessed, I am no fan of the specific branch of Christianity in the United States known under the general label "Evangelicalism".

I had hoped that a deeper understanding of Evangelicalism would alleviate my scepticism and justify a more nuanced attitude towards the tradition.

It did not.

The author - with damnable quotes from leading White Evangelical leaders - aptly illustrates how White Evangelical Christianity was almost synonymous with White Supremacist thought and racism well past WWII. He also demonstrates who the use of "pre-millennial" arguments by Evangelicals about the Second Coming of Christ was used as a convenient pretext for disregarding any "Love Thy Neighbour" creed and/or emphasis on social justice which has otherwise been a central part of both Lutheran and Catholic thought in other countries.

I think it is illustrative that the following quote about Evangelicalism from the book...

"Nevertheless, it is true that just now the Fundamentalists are giving us one of the worst exhibitions of bitter intolerance that the churches of this country have ever seen."

... wasn't made by a modern Dawkins-style-atheist, but by the American pastor Harry Emerson Fosdick in 1922.


Sounds like something I'd like to read.


_________________
-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer


nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Nov 2014
Gender: Female
Posts: 8,016
Location: Kansas

25 Jun 2016, 4:58 pm

How long does it take you guys to read an average size book (300-400+ pages)?


_________________
Me grumpy?
I'm happiness challenged.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.


nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Nov 2014
Gender: Female
Posts: 8,016
Location: Kansas

25 Jun 2016, 10:05 pm

nurseangela wrote:
The decision was made! I just got offered James Patterson's "The Murder House" for $2.99! The book is like $15+! So that is my next book to read! :mrgreen:


OK. My kindle says I should have this book read in 6 hours and 24 minutes (it has 480 pages). Are they nuts? They haven't met me yet. They really must mean 6 weeks and 24 days. That's what it is. :mrgreen:


_________________
Me grumpy?
I'm happiness challenged.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.


GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Sep 2009
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,139

26 Jun 2016, 9:35 am

Just read this:

Image

The author, Kallistos Ware (previously Timothy Ware) is himself a fairly high-ranking bishop within the Orthodox Church. Nonetheless, I find his description quite nuanced, and he doesn't shy away from levelling criticism at some Orthodox practices, including the sometimes cozy relationship the Church has had with various autocratic leaders. This point could have been pursued further with respect to the current relationship between Vladimir Putin and the Orthodox Church in Russia, though, as the most recent edition of the book is from 2015.

It is interesting to note that the Great Schism which caused the Orthodox and Catholic churches to part ways wasn't as much about theology and doctrine, but more about organization and leadership (and most importantly: The limits of Papal authority).

The author also points out how the loss of bilingualism in the Dark Ages contributed to the schism, as there was suddenly very few people who could bridge the language gap between the Catholic (Latin) Church and Orthodox (Greek) Church.

It is also quite obvious that the Orthodox Church has suffered from historically bad luck... First they lost their seat of power in Constantinople with the Ottoman conquest in 1453 and suffered centuries of subsequent oppression. Then they relocated to Russia... only to get hit even harder by the Bolsheviks after the Russian Revolution 1917. Ouch.

All in all, however, the Orthodox Church is very similar to the Catholic Church (and surprisingly, the Anglican Church as well) when it comes to lay worship and practice. The author does hint at the possibility of female ordination in the future as well as a less restrictive view on contraception than the Catholic Church (the latter is mostly ignored, anyway). But this may be due to his Western background, as the primary domains of the Orthodox Church in Eastern Europe aren't exactly famous for championing gender equality.

The Orthodox Church also tends to subscribe rather strictly - and more so than the Catholic Church - to the "No salvation outside the Church"/Extra Ecclesiam Nulla Salus doctrine... which I find less than palatable.


_________________
Our comforting conviction that the world makes sense rests on a secure foundation: our almost unlimited ability to ignore our ignorance.

- Daniel Kahneman


GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Sep 2009
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,139

26 Jun 2016, 9:38 am

nurseangela wrote:
How long does it take you guys to read an average size book (300-400+ pages)?

I can read approximately 100 pages an hour if I pace myself (I read the above book in about 3½ hours, and it was 320 pages long)... but this involves:

- Finding a quiet place at a café (never at home... I get distracted)
- Having an unlimited supply of coffee (preferably espresso)
- Wearing my Bose QuietComfort noise-cancelling headphones


_________________
Our comforting conviction that the world makes sense rests on a secure foundation: our almost unlimited ability to ignore our ignorance.

- Daniel Kahneman


Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 6 May 2016
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,160
Location: NZ

29 Nov 2016, 3:45 am

Currently reading, Years of Lyndon Johnson, the Passage of Power. It is good so far.



eric76
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Aug 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,721
Location: In the heart of the dust bowl

29 Nov 2016, 4:50 am

Diplomacy by Henry Kissinger



Monty1776
Butterfly
Butterfly

Joined: 25 May 2016
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Posts: 12
Location: Philadelphia

01 Dec 2016, 10:42 am

The Great Gatsby, for school. I'm two chapters in but I'm already in love with Fitzgerald's descriptive yet sarcastic writing style.



InsomniaGrl
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 13 Aug 2015
Posts: 856
Location: UK

01 Dec 2016, 2:04 pm

Currently reading No Logo, by Naomi Klein.
http://www.naomiklein.org/no-logo


_________________
Nothing lasts but nothing is lost


Delhome
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

Joined: 2 Dec 2016
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 3

02 Dec 2016, 7:37 pm

I'm currently reading The MVP by Scott Sigler. Its part of the Galactic Football League series based around an American football league played in the future by both humans and aliens. Most of the teams are owned by organized crime figures. It's been described as Remember the Titans meets the Godfather