Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Esther
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2010, 12:15 am

What kind of card does your husband carry in his wallet? Is it government-issued that the police are legally obliged to look at if requested of them?

If this is the case and the police did not listen, you should file a complaint.

If he was to wear an ICE band, would the police then know to check his wallet for the card?

Tory_canuck
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2010, 1:16 am

Sue the police and if you don;t have the money, go to the media and make a big ruckus, then some autism group will help you retain a lawyer and you can sue the police.

EITHER way, as my litigation instructor once said , " SUE THE SOBs!!"

ALBERTAN...and DAMN PROUD OF IT!!

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2010, 1:18 am

Yeah, seriously, why haven´t you sued or brought this to anyone´s attention? (Well, I guess it´s possible you did just didn´t mention it).

No experience with such alert bracelets but it´s probably best to get one anyway. No downside to it that I can think of.

Tory_canuck
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2010, 1:25 am

Also upon arrest and detiontion, the Police have the legal obligation to inform the person why they are being arrested or detained. After he was put in the cell, did they notify him of his rights such as the right to get an attourney, and did they make reasonable efforts to help him get a lawyer while in custody?

IF not, then not only did they assault him, but they also violated his constitutional rights such as...

the right to be informed of why he his being arrested and detained.
the right to attain an attourney
the right to be free from unreasonable search and siezure
the right to be free from arbitrary arrest and detention
the right not to be subjected to cruel and usual punishment and/or treatment

Is there are trial date?
IN Canada, if your rights are violated, upon firts appearance in court, there is duty counsel who will assist a person through the court process to have the trial adjourned until the person can attain a lawyer through legal aid if they cannot afford one.Once this is done, seeing that he had his rights violated and was not informed of why he was being arrested or detained, his lawyer would have to file a charter violation notice to the court and argue to have the court throw out the evidence or charges against the accused on the basis that if the said were admitted, it would bring the administration of justice into disrepute.

And to make matters worse, when you informed the police of his condition and they didnt back off or at least allow you to retrieve his wallet to attain his medical alert card identifying his ASD, they committed assault and battery and were also negligent.

This looks like a Cause of Action for a lawsuit.

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2010, 2:55 am

Knocking someone unconcious would be considered police brutality. Sue the department.

LadyMacbeth
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the girls toilets at Hogwarts, washing the blood off my hands.

05 Jan 2010, 11:08 am

OK, let me point out a few things.

This incident happened in the early hours of New Years Day. Nowhere has been open until yesterday, so we haven't been able to do anything about it. Rang a solicitor who will meet us at the station tomorrow evening to "discuss charges". We are not going to accept anything. Then, it will have to be taken further by the chief of police, or whoever it is. The solicitor will try to get the CCTV footage, etc. We have a pretty strong case against the brutes.

The autism card he carries in his wallet is from the National Autistic Society. - Image
South Yorkshire Police are meant to have joined in an initiative with the NAS to distribute police-special alert cards back in September - Police join campaign - and TRAIN these policemen in how to deal with a person with ASD. However, none of this was heeded it seems. Now, I KNOW the woman who went in to do the talks with them. She is my best friend, and stepchildren's mother, not to mention my husband's ex-wife (I know, it sounds weird).

So please believe me when I say IT IS BEING SORTED.

Now, OT, someone mentioned if he had an ICE band on his wrist, they might have looked in his wallet sooner? This is what I hope, though they were all told right at the start that he was autistic. By me, my three friends, AND HIM. I asked them to at least lay one hand off him, look in his pockets for his wallet, and see the proof, as they didn't believe me, but instead they pummelled him to the ground. Maybe if he had a visible sign that there was something "wrong" with him, they'd listen a bit more, as when he got shoved into the wall the first time, his hands went up to protect his face.

So, ANYONE AT ALL interested in the original question? Does anyone own one of these, and could I see an example? I need to know what to add to it, and whether it'll look clear enough. I want one for my husband, myself, and my two autistic stepchildren.

RampionRampage
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2010, 11:38 am

After hearing a number of unpleasant stories, I ordered a bracelet from here:
http://www.medids.com/

Lots of choices to styles and the like.

Edited to add -- Before getting upset that I didn't link a pic, I don't actually have it yet. It's in the mail. :)
Try not to be so frustrated with people expressing their concerns, even if it's not your original question. They're not deliberately avoiding your topic.

Douglas_MacNeill
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2010, 10:53 pm

Those I.C.E. bands--would they be the same
as a MedicAlert bracelet?

LadyMacbeth
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2010, 10:57 pm

Yep.

RampionRampage
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2010, 2:08 am

RampionRampage wrote:
After hearing a number of unpleasant stories, I ordered a bracelet from here:
http://www.medids.com/

Lots of choices to styles and the like.

Edited to add -- Before getting upset that I didn't link a pic, I don't actually have it yet. It's in the mail. :)
Try not to be so frustrated with people expressing their concerns, even if it's not your original question. They're not deliberately avoiding your topic.

I was told it was just engraved -- I should have it by this weekend. If you're interested, I can link you an image of it?

It will have the Medic Alert symbol on it. Here is what I had engraved (tricky to do with limited lines/characters, but fortunately i chose a bracelet that had enough room for a few lines):

on the front:

autistic spectrum
disorder

hearing impairment

on the back:

may have difficulty:
communicating,
tolerating touch,
following orders.
ICE in wallet, phone

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2010, 3:56 am

It takes a lot of force to restrain someone. If you want to stop a reasonably fit and healthy adult man from moving you need several people to do it, unless you're prepared to inflict serious injuries. So "lots of cops piling on someone" is not police brutality, it's what they have to do if they are trying to physically restrain someone while causing minimal - not no - injury.

It is also the case that police are continually lied to while doing their job. The blame is not with the police for not believing LM, but with the people who lie to them, for creating the environment where the police cannot take things like medical conditions on trust. :(

The year is still young.

LadyMacbeth
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2010, 10:45 am

Ambivalence wrote:
It takes a lot of force to restrain someone. If you want to stop a reasonably fit and healthy adult man from moving you need several people to do it, unless you're prepared to inflict serious injuries. So "lots of cops piling on someone" is not police brutality, it's what they have to do if they are trying to physically restrain someone while causing minimal - not no - injury.

It is also the case that police are continually lied to while doing their job. The blame is not with the police for not believing LM, but with the people who lie to them, for creating the environment where the police cannot take things like medical conditions on trust. :(

Considering he hadn't done a thing to deserve such "restraint", I think 10 police officers with stab proof armour knocking his face into the PAVEMENT rendering him unconscious, FOLLOWED by lying him back down and pinning him is considered police brutality.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2010, 4:21 pm

This sounds to me like a news item, and an opportunity to challenge the police. I expect you would find a great deal of support from autism advocacy organizations to take forward a complaint to the relevant regulatory authority.

I doubt that an ICE bracelet alone would suffice. But an ICE bracelet coupled with a major news item and a complaint before the police complaints commission starts to get public policy makers' attention.

Just google "Robert Dziekanski" to look at how a police force can be brought low by one ill-considered action.

In brighter news, one province in Canada is moving to a registry of people with autism for use by first responders (Fire, EMT and police) so that officers on the scene will be aware of the potential presence of people with whom special search, rescue or response strategies will be necessary. While this does not help with a street response by police, raising the awareness of officers generally will provide some help.

LadyMacbeth
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2010, 12:31 am

visagrunt wrote:
This sounds to me like a news item, and an opportunity to challenge the police. I expect you would find a great deal of support from autism advocacy organizations to take forward a complaint to the relevant regulatory authority.

I doubt that an ICE bracelet alone would suffice. But an ICE bracelet coupled with a major news item and a complaint before the police complaints commission starts to get public policy makers' attention.

Just google "Robert Dziekanski" to look at how a police force can be brought low by one ill-considered action.

In brighter news, one province in Canada is moving to a registry of people with autism for use by first responders (Fire, EMT and police) so that officers on the scene will be aware of the potential presence of people with whom special search, rescue or response strategies will be necessary. While this does not help with a street response by police, raising the awareness of officers generally will provide some help.

We are in the process of doing this. In contact with the NAS and the local autism team (of which both my husband and I are volunteers), and are going to see if we can find a sympathetic-yet-courageous law firm to carry out our case, once we sent our complaint in.

I simply think a mere alert card in the wallet and a few screen savers is not enough for the police to know.

Tory_canuck
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2010, 12:39 am

If you take it out to the media, law firms will be tripping over themselves to take your case.Law firms love media attention because it makes them known and it gets them more clients....and with the media spotlight glaring on the police, they will be more than willing to settle instead of face further scrutiny.

wigglyspider
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2010, 2:00 am

LadyMacbeth wrote:
Ambivalence wrote:

Considering he hadn't done a thing to deserve such "restraint", I think 10 police officers with stab proof armour knocking his face into the PAVEMENT rendering him unconscious, FOLLOWED by lying him back down and pinning him is considered police brutality.
Well you didn't SAY he hadn't done a thing, you just said you didn't want to discuss what he did..
anyway, I've never seen a cop just walking by someone who's not doing anything and jump on them out of nowhere..
Something innocent that looks like something suspicious is still "something".
And I agree with Ambivalence, the police were using their best judgment based on their past experiences to do what they thought was the correct decision. It is not worth taking so personally.