Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Alla
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Jan 2010, 6:10 pm

Are aspies more indecisive in general than NTs?

heliocopters
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

04 Jan 2010, 6:11 pm

I don't know, but I can't make a decision to save my life.

24shaz
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Jan 2010, 6:20 pm

Yes...

errr I mean no...

... erm maybe?

I can't decide.

ImNotOk
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Jan 2010, 6:21 pm

Im female, that make me indecisive.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2010, 6:26 pm

Depends on the decision. I hate being given too many choices - the more equal choices I have, the harder it is to pick one. I'm always vaguely afraid I'll choose the wrong one and either regret it, or be blamed for it later.

This is why I have certain menu choices at restaurants that I default to over and over rather than trying anything new. I know what works, if I stick with that, then I can't make a mistake. Same with routes to familiar places - my ex, who worked with Alzheimer's patients always said "take a different route once in awhile, it stimulates your brain". So does the anxiety attack I'll have if I get lost, but I don't want that kind of stimulation.

Kind of like a rat learning a maze - if I follow the routes that worked before, then I'm less likely to hit a dead-end and collapse in panicky hyperstimulation.

robinhood
Toucan
Toucan

04 Jan 2010, 6:45 pm

I'm one of life's procrastinators.... it can take me a good couple of hours to decide to start a task which is only going to take a few minutes (especially if I don't like it

I also hate shopping, especially in big stores, because of the variety of choice. I feel like I have to analyse each option before I can decide.

In other ways, perhaps as a kind of internal response to this, I can sometimes be very impulsive. I just go with the first thing that comes with my head, and do it there and then. It's like I know if I start to think about it, I'll be there all day :lol:

Last edited by robinhood on 04 Jan 2010, 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2010, 6:51 pm

there are times where I am impulsive.
others where I will stick to my inital plan regardless.

Carl_LaFong
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Jan 2010, 8:50 pm

Alla wrote:
Are aspies more indecisive in general than NTs?

I'm very indecisive but not sure if it's related to being an aspie.

gramirez
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2010, 8:55 pm

I can never make up my mind.

Cicely
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2010, 8:58 pm

I can be pretty indecisive, but I think that's more due to my anxiety than my Asperger's. Then again, my anxiety is based on my Asperger's, so...

elderwanda
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2010, 9:41 pm

Willard wrote:
Same with routes to familiar places - my ex, who worked with Alzheimer's patients always said "take a different route once in awhile, it stimulates your brain". So does the anxiety attack I'll have if I get lost, but I don't want that kind of stimulation.

Yep. One of my particularly endearing quirks is that I have a phobia of driving. I can drive just fine as long as I'm in my little comfort zone, but if some little thing happens, it can set me back, and my comfort zone all but disappears. I was doing okay, but a few weeks ago a tiny, unexpected thing happened (my rearview mirror had been bumped, and when I looked into it, I got a different view than what I expected), and my anxiety came back full force. At the moment, I'm struggling with that, because I can't even pick my kids up from school. Anyway, today, I went out for a drive around my little neighborhood, in an attempt to get past this ridiculous, debilitating anxiety. I took a turn that I don't usually take, even though it's just a block away from my house. I came around a corner and discovered that it curved differently than what I was expecting. I'm not talking about a major intersection, I'm talking about a curve in a quiet residential area. That unexpected curve was enough to get me too anxious to continue. I had to pull over and rest. :roll:

Edited to add: Oh, I forgot about the original post question. Went off on a tangent again. Sorry. As far as being indecisive, I definitely am. I can't make up my mind about anything. I've always assumed it's because my moon is in Libra.

Last edited by elderwanda on 04 Jan 2010, 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Moony
Toucan
Toucan

04 Jan 2010, 9:53 pm

Oh yes. Or at least I am. I can't deal with decisions very well. Even if my dad asks if I was soup or grilled cheese, I get all anxious and probably won't decide at all.

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2010, 10:52 pm

Yes. It's because of executive dysfunction.

bucephalus
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2010, 11:04 pm

Other aspies that I know (not many) appear to be very decisive indeed. I, on the other hand, am not. I like to be impulsive and get torn when what appears to be the better option is the one from my head and not from my heart.

I feel that i am not in control when choosing to do something that I feel should be doing rather than something i instinctively want to do

chris

bonuspoints
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Washington state - *Do I get bonus points if I act like I care?*

04 Jan 2010, 11:32 pm

Not when I am alone. However, in group situations I let other people make the decisions.

Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live. - Oscar Wilde

LuxoJr
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Jan 2010, 5:07 am

I am.
But I ironically good at multiple chioce questions on testings