Page 4 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2010, 9:26 am

This is coming from an African-American (well half, I'm biracial): No. I don't see it as a racist ad at all. If the white guy had a KKK costume on, then, yes, I'd see it as racist. Nothing is being implied here. It's a damned ad for fried chicken...so? KFC chicken is delicious and is worthy of being eaten by the whole world no matter what your race is.

release_the_bats
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2010, 2:25 pm

I watched that cricket game live, with Australian former-cricketers, no less (they were for West Indies because they think it's cool that a group of nations joined together to form a team).

Also lived in Australia for a while; racism there is totally different. (My opinion is that racism is a basic human social problem that exists in every culture but is expressed differently in different places.)

So I get the context - the ad definitely wouldn't be seen as racist outside of the US.

I understand how Americans could see it as racist, but most Americans don't watch cricket, so does it matter?

release_the_bats
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2010, 2:31 pm

Also . . . can't help myself . . .

Is this Aussie rules football team logo sacreligious? Does it blasphemously use religion to promote "K.F.C."?

(Another example of something that would be easily misinterpreted out of context.)

southwestforests
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2010, 3:45 pm

No. It is however Exhibit A of self-righteous Americans vast ignorance of the rest of the world.

The majority race of the West Indies is what?
So, the majority of, the typical of, national team cricket fans are what?

But first, what percentage of the American "USA#1!" population even has a clue what the West Indies are?
hint: it's not a suburb of Indianapolis.
Next question, what percentage of the American "USA#1!" population can even begin to find West Indies on a map?

I have to ROFLMAO when my country makes an ignorant ass of itself, otherwise I'd end up in therapy.

Oh, wait, I am in therapy.

Meadow
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2010, 4:45 pm

^The only person you can speak for is yourself, and it appears you very well just did.

wesmontfan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Jan 2010, 3:44 pm

Here in the USA - especially the south- there is a racial stereotype about blacks liking fried chicken ( like blacks likeing watermelon).

So in an american context it could be taken as racist.

I doubt the ad creators meant it as racist, nor is taken that way by Australian viewers, nor by anyone else on the planet who gives a crap about cricket (the whole former british empire sans the United States) because that linking of chicken to race doesnt exist in such an audience.

Its just a cute ad about how fans of rival sport teams can be brought together with food.

roadracer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2010, 9:25 pm

When I first seen it, I thought it was racist, but that is because me, like most americans dont know what cricket IS, let alone anything about it or who the teams are.
After reading all the replys here I now understand the ad and understand that it was not racist and that no harm was meant by it.
Are Americans ignorent about cricket, YES
Are Australians ignorent about US racial stereotypes, YES
I guess that is why it was made for Australia and not the US, and I can understand why not many Australians in this thread seem to understand why a american would view it like that, and just think we are a bunch of __________ (insert what you like), when really, when viewed in both countries, there is ignorance on both sides, ignorance of cricket, and ignorance of the stereotype

I dont understand cricket at all, and it seems clear to me that the ad is not racist, but that was only after reading this thread

MrSinister
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2010, 4:03 pm

roadracer wrote:
I dont understand cricket at all, and it seems clear to me that the ad is not racist, but that was only after reading this thread

It's okay, a lot of Brits don't understand cricket either :)

Anyway: this reminds me of the uproar over that Mr T Snickers advert that got banned for being "homophobic" (it showed him firing Snickers bars at a speed-walker, who was walking the way speed-walkers usually do... which apparently made said speed-walker look like a gay stereotype :roll: ).

Personally, I didn't find that ad to be intentionally racist at all... but then again, I'm whiter than milk, so I'm probably not the best judge of that sort of thing.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2010, 4:57 pm

mjs82 wrote:

I don't get what the problem is. He wasn't handing out watermelon or collard greens.

I eat KFC chicken myself.

ruveyn