Short Yellow Lights Mean More Tickets, Money For Cities

Page 3 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2014, 4:47 pm

I guess discretion is the better part of valor, or something like that :)

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2014, 4:10 am

LittleTigger wrote:
So it was ok for me to slam
on the brakes at the last second on a yellow
light? I have done it many times so I guess
I am ok.

I don't drive anymore thank goodness.

Too much to remember and almost got
me introuble once.

Did you ever get any collisions?

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2014, 4:21 am

I thought yellow meant slow down and warning you the light is turning red. I will slow down when the light turns yellow and sometimes I end up in the middle of the intersection and I will back up if there are no cars behind me. I will slam on my breaks once the light turns if there is no one behind me because I will not risk getting rear ended, I don't know if the driver behind me has started slowing down once the light turned. Luckily they have installed the count down on the crosswalk meters so that warns me about when the light will turn and how many seconds there are until the light turns. But that only works if a pedestrian has hit the button to cross unless it's automatic.

Every area must be different because I remember my mom telling me you won't get a ticket if the light turned right when you were at the intersection or else you would be in the middle of it once you stop. but I guess they want people to get rear ended because that is how insurance companies makes their money and the police department makes their money from paranoid people like me if we get caught not slamming on our breaks.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2014, 1:18 pm

League_Girl wrote:
I thought yellow meant slow down and warning you the light is turning red. I will slow down when the light turns yellow and sometimes I end up in the middle of the intersection and I will back up if there are no cars behind me.
If you are in the intersection, you should continue through it. I can't think of any reason to back up other than being directed to back up by a police officer on the scene -- it would be rare for the police to direct you to back up.

If you entered the intersection after it turned red, then you ran the light. Trying to back up isn't going to change that.

Also, if there were any pedestrians waiting for the light, they may have already started across. Back up and hit one and you are really in trouble.

If anything, backing up might get you a second ticket for reckless driving or something like that.