What reasons do you use when you decide to defer suicide?

Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

SilentScream
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Jan 2010, 12:56 am

I've noticed that it's a topic that comes up a few times, and was wondering if we could share some tips?

Reasons that I use are:
- My cats are innocent and depend on me. I have to slowly rehome them first.

- I have a couple of very good friends whom I think will actually be hurt if I do it. When they made friends with me, they offered true friendship and help, and don't deserve to be dragged down by me.

- I haven't updated my will for it to truly reflect what I want done with the dosh.

- There are a couple of other things I need to do to not leave things in a mess.

- There are a few things I'd like to do. I wonder if I can ever achieve them one day.

Meadow
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2010, 1:16 am

I'm sorry you're experiencing those feelings which precipitate this kind of thinking. It's very painful.
It's a recurring theme for me as well. Mostly it's my cats I think about and my artwork. I've even worried lately about an accidental death because no one would likely even know I was gone before my cats would suffer a horrible death and die of thirst and starvation. I recently told a friend I would send a simple email every other day to let them know I'm alive and if they didn't hear from me, to have my landlord enter to make sure my cats won't suffer such a horrible fate. Oh the merry morbid pass-time of thoughts one keeps. :? I know I couldn't take my own life anymore (or at least I hope so anyway) and that's more the problem than anything else seems like these days. I'm so over that but some days it seems again to be a very real potential.

theOtherSide
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Jan 2010, 1:27 am

my mantra is "suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem"

thinking of people i would hurt only makes me more depressed.

monsterland
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2010, 1:50 am

Reason #1: one day I will die anyway. This makes suicide redundant.

Apera
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2010, 1:57 am

For me, I never seriously considered it. It felt like I had to much left to do. I mean, what happens after I kill my self?

But they do not have me

TheMinnesotaIceman
Toucan
Toucan

07 Jan 2010, 2:09 am

theOtherSide's mantra is correct. Besides that, my family and friends would be devastated if I committed suicide, and frankly, it's just not worth it. Sure, life sucks sometimes, but it can also be great at times, too. If things seem bleak now, there's no reason to assume they won't brighten on the horizon.

southwestforests
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2010, 3:58 am

monsterland wrote:
Reason #1: one day I will die anyway. This makes suicide redundant.
:lol:
Interesting about the cats.
May sound silly, I keep thinking I need to apologise for it, but for me it was mostly "My model railroad will never get finished".

Snazzlestick
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Jan 2010, 4:00 am

I haven't read all my books or watched all my films yet.

The blues are because you're getting fat, and maybe it's been raining too long. You're just sad, that's all. The mean reds are horrible. Suddenly you're afraid, and you don't know what you're afraid of.

tektek
Bronze Supporter
Bronze Supporter

07 Jan 2010, 4:11 am

as much as i would like to bail out on my birthday, particularly if it is a round figure or neat multiple... it is too close to the wedding anniversary date of my parents.

my 2 siblings and parents all have birthdays in november, i do not want to ruin the month.

my best friend's father died at Christmas some years ago (when we were children), it is a difficult time of year for him - even as an adult.

i am torn between waiting for my parents to die and just throwing myself off of something very tall... my life does not actually mean a lot to me but i am aware of the magnitude of emotional hurt that is seeing your child die before you.

i need to re-write my will and re-allocate benefits payable on my death.

SilentScream
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Jan 2010, 5:02 am

Meadow, I have worried about my cats on the accidental thing too. Because I have seen what the authorities' response is, because after my husband's death, when they asked me to go with them to give a statement, they were busy trying to call the animal protection people to nab my cats. I was only with the police for a few hours, the cheek of it!

If it weren't for my friend stopping them from calling the animal protection people, they would have.

So now I think that the best thing is to
1 - name a list of people I would leave the estate and animals to(friends I'd trust to see the cats right)
2 - because it would take a while for the money to be released, I'd have to put a sum of money aside to leave with the first friend on the list, so that they will have x amount to spend on the cats while waiting for control of the estate.

Any alternative suggestions gratefully received.

monsterland
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2010, 5:48 am

tektek wrote:
i am torn between waiting for my parents to die and just throwing myself off of something very tall... my life does not actually mean a lot to me but i am aware of the magnitude of emotional hurt that is seeing your child die before you.

Indeed... when you have someone who would be affected by your death, suicide becomes an act of monstrous egotism and ignorance.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2010, 7:34 am

I've jsut cleaned up my act and got my life back on track. (For those of you who don't know me, I was a bitter punker, from 2007 to 2009, or I tried to be one).

I'm Pro-life.

My friends on WrongPlanet would be very upset and they would miss me, like I miss a member who took her own life, in 2008.

This one's a little materialistic. I can't dress up, go on the Internet, or listen to The Kinks, if I'm dead.

My dog is innocent and he needs me.

jocundthelilac
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2010, 7:52 am

All my friends would miss me (there are times when I feel I have no friends)

I'd disappoint my family.

I'd not become a writer in the future.

I have to stay alive to live my dreams, or at least get close to them. The last time I was despondent was when rumours started of Lazytown Entertainment going bankrupt. I did contemplate it then, but then I realised I had to live for Magnus. And the story turned out to be tabloid BS.

Magnús Scheving is my Icelandic rose :)

Daniella
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Jan 2010, 7:57 am

Recently I radically changed the way I lead my life, and I consider myself happy now.
I'm afraid I won't be able to lead my life the way I want it at later times, but I'm too curious to quit now.
If, however, I seem unable to live life the way I want to live it, I'd probably just stop. But that's for later.

irishaspie
Toucan
Toucan

07 Jan 2010, 12:04 pm

i dont believe in an after life. so ending my existence would be futile.
my life is s**t, but at least i exist.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2010, 3:20 pm

Parents have no other kids, and would be destroyed. They are also slightly impaired due to strokes and would have people taking advantage of them w/o me looking out for them.

There might be a good sci fi movie I'd miss, ie District 9, Avatar, etc. That alone isn't much but sometimes seems just enough to stick around for.