Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2010, 11:59 pm

I was wondering what you think of the lunar cycle and how it may affect our hormones, tides, animal behavior and such.

-Pythagoras

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2010, 12:17 am

Magnus wrote:
I was wondering what you think of the lunar cycle and how it may affect our hormones, tides, animal behavior and such.

Is that a matter of opinion or a subject for study of correlations?

paigetheoracle
Raven
Raven

10 Jan 2010, 6:20 am

ruveyn wrote:
Show us some mathematics, and make a specific quantitative prediction than can be tested empirically.

Theories that do not make quantitative predictions are scientifically worthless.

ruveyn

I am not a mathematician, so you request has no bearing on what I'm trying to do as seemingly my work has none for you. This is a philosophical book and is trying to display what your own eyes should be able to see. I am not trying to predict anything because that belongs to the future. This is just trying to show you what you should be able to see as an individual in the present and if you can't or don't want to see that, that is your decision not mine.

bigblock
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Jan 2010, 6:32 am

You can easily misinterpret the intentions of strongly spoken Aspies. I find Ruveyn refreshingly realistic. And well intentioned, Some stuff can be pretty funny sometimes. I'm sorry Ruveyn if i stepped on your toes here.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2010, 6:49 am

paigetheoracle wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Show us some mathematics, and make a specific quantitative prediction than can be tested empirically.

Theories that do not make quantitative predictions are scientifically worthless.

ruveyn

I am not a mathematician, so you request has no bearing on what I'm trying to do as seemingly my work has none for you. This is a philosophical book and is trying to display what your own eyes should be able to see. I am not trying to predict anything because that belongs to the future. This is just trying to show you what you should be able to see as an individual in the present and if you can't or don't want to see that, that is your decision not mine.

A solid philosophical work, as with a scientific theory, is valuable not for prophesy, but for indicating consequences. The future is very much concerned with consequences.

paigetheoracle
Raven
Raven

10 Jan 2010, 6:53 am

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
ruveyn wrote:

ruveyn

Well, maybe not math, and maybe not a specific quantitative prediction, but still more definiteness might be better. I think I recognize some of this kind of phenomenon, but I am somewhat concerned that too much metaphysics is being inserted into this matter.

Sorry but as the reply by me before this shows, this is a philosophy book, not a science primer

paigetheoracle
Raven
Raven

10 Jan 2010, 6:56 am

bigblock wrote:
ruveyn wrote:

ruveyn

:lol: :wink:
I have to agree with Reuven, This isn't scientific until you add empirical data. But your subject appears to be more of perspective than a scientific theory. And I agree with the perspective that humans are loosing spirituality and social responsibility for "The American Dream." And it is clear that the ones in control of big money are driving us to spend more faster. Excesses galore and no time to think about it, Just buy, do, and follow along with the Jonse's.

Did I put it together right :?:

Yes, it is perspective and we are rushing about like chickens with no heads today, which means we are not stopping and looking at results but will end up with consequences because we are ignoring reality.

paigetheoracle
Raven
Raven

10 Jan 2010, 6:59 am

Sand wrote:
Spirituality is oversold. Whenever you want to screw up living make sure to formulate cockeyed ideals like absolutes of racial or religious superiority or distorted concepts of perfection or good and evil that permits one to murder, torture, steal or commit other atrocities in pursuit of insane goals with no sense of decency or pangs of conscience.

You are right on this - read Ernest Becker's 'Denial of Death', for the psychological perspective on this. I'm not trying to tell people what to think but 'to' think, which isn't the same thing. In other words take time to observe, not allow yourself to get rushed into precipitous action of the sort you are on about.

paigetheoracle
Raven
Raven

10 Jan 2010, 7:08 am

Sand wrote:
Natural selection, according to the latest studies, does favor compassion. In essence my compassion is rooted in seeing any life as significant as my own. Naturally if someone or something else's welfare depends upon my destruction I must react to protect myself but I do not intentionally kill anything in my surroundings that is no danger to myself or other life I hold valuable. There is value in all life as it is an interdependent web of intricate relationships, many of which we are still learning about and learning to value.

I personally am glad to here this because the problem is really self sabotage by those who do not trust the system, rather than the belief that 'building communities through faith' is absurd. The problem is lack of trust, displayed as laziness and moral cowardice (Giving up on yourself and slipping into apathy - giving up on others and turning your back on the world): This is the difference between innocence and guilt in my opinion - the courage to leap forward into an unknown or uncertain future built on nothing tangible (materialism) or to grasp the solid in fear of this trusting in nothing at all (zero point energy or the creativity that lets go of the prejudices and beliefs of yesterday, to stare into the void of tomorrow (The Undiscovered Country/ 'Is it safe?' The Marathon Man).

paigetheoracle
Raven
Raven

10 Jan 2010, 7:11 am

If you want to get more ideas of mine to pull apart, may I suggest you visit the above post in the arts sections, which should really be here I suppose because the because the book isn't fiction but philosophical speculation (Zennish)

bigblock
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Jan 2010, 7:35 am

its all good

I think this body of work is common knowledge around wp, its just worded your way. Deductive reasoning is at play here, and logical answers pop into new threads all over this place. Its all the same just worded our own ways. Of course individuals put different weights on different theory's, But no body around here has argued nonsense to me. Plain sense rules WP

paigetheoracle
Raven
Raven

11 Jan 2010, 4:41 am

ruveyn wrote:

ruveyn

Well if you want a scientific angle to this - may I suggest that you look up The Electric Universe Theory, propounded by People like Wally Thornhill (Article in Nexus Magazine sometime back) as that connects to my ideas from the physics viewpoint, more than atomic theory does

paigetheoracle
Raven
Raven

11 Jan 2010, 7:01 am

More thoughts to consider - positivism leads us up and out into the world as conscious beings, just as negativity leads us into ourselves through distrust of our own abilities and the world in general. Negativity leads to destruction because it smashes the links we have with reality/ other people - optimism is creative because it reaches out and does the opposite, putting ideas (and trust) out there, through a leap of faith, rather than retreating because we have none. Bipolarism is this in the individual and the effects of it can be easily studied and projected into the world as effects upon society in the forms of creativity and peace, destruction and war.

The future is orientation up and out, abandoning all identity because it is abandoning prejudice. The past is turning down and in, holding onto all old hurts and is therefore nothing but prejudice and identity (innocence is abandoning the old past for a new future - materialism is holding onto the boring, certain past, for fear that what we have, we might lose - including our mind (identity) and possessions as well as status, with regards to others in society: In other words you are out of your mind or deep in it, afraid to let go). Taking things seriously is a rigid holding onto life, crushing it to death and attacking all that threatens it just as taking things lightly is moving on with your life and seeking new challenges.

Science by the way is neutral - not what should or shouldn't be but what is or isn't (exists or doesn't). This is the same approach as Eastern Philosophy.

You might like to see my artwork atArtworkfor an example of how I view Levity/ Gravity and related synonyms in other subjects plus original rendition of my theory and where this could take humanity (very sci-fi).

paigetheoracle
Raven
Raven

11 Jan 2010, 8:27 am

When I belonged to The Hypography Science Forums some time back, I had the signature 'My life is my lab and my proof is to be found in your lives', just as Scientology has the motto 'If it isn't true for you, then it isn't true'. In both cases the meaning is experiential and if it isn't something you've experienced, then it may well appear speculative goobledygook.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2010, 8:44 am

paigetheoracle wrote:
When I belonged to The Hypography Science Forums some time back, I had the signature 'My life is my lab and my proof is to be found in your lives', just as Scientology has the motto 'If it isn't true for you, then it isn't true'. In both cases the meaning is experiential and if it isn't something you've experienced, then it may well appear speculative goobledygook.

Frankly, it's a good idea to distance yourself from Scientology.

bigblock
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Jan 2010, 11:00 pm

agreed, I second that notion. And take it easy, nothing to proove, we get it, page.