Does anyone think you should be on pills?

Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Shareese
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Jan 2010, 8:33 pm

I know, Angnix, EVERY TIME I go off my meds it is a disaster. This has happened about 10 times. I have needed them and taken them for 2.5 years.

gramirez
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2010, 10:58 pm

A lot of people have asked me if I'm on meds. I have been since September.

granatelli
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jan 2010, 11:53 pm

Spokane_Girl wrote:
I don't mean doctors, I mean people.

My husband thinks I should be on medication for my anxiety and ADD.

Trust your husband's judgement, and at least try something that may help you being able to function a little more normally.

The gift you have in your husband is he is an NT, he loves you, and he can see how the world affects you from an outside perspective. You can't see it because you're too close to it. He sees how the world affects you, how it stresses you, how it affects your interactions with other people and how it affects the way you live your life in general.

The best thing my AS wife ever did was to start on a mild dose of anti anxiety meds. She can function much better now, is able to hold a good job & get along with almost everyone. If she does experience some stress she is just able to handle it so much better than before.

Trust your husband.

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2010, 12:43 am

granatelli wrote:
Spokane_Girl wrote:

Trust your husband's judgement, and at least try something that may help you being able to function a little more normally.

The gift you have in your husband is he is an NT, he loves you, and he can see how the world affects you from an outside perspective.

Well I dont see an NT husband as any more a "gift" than an AS husband. Men are men, and either type of man could be a supportive husband.

Spokane Girl, trust your own judgement, not anyone else's. It is your decision to make. Having AS still means you can judge what is right for you.

Taking a break.

Moony
Toucan
Toucan

09 Jan 2010, 1:19 am

I've been diagnosed with ADHD, and prescribed with concerta (the "time-release" version of ritalin.) Lots of people think I should be on meds, including my parents (Grr...)

In short, I am "not" skipping my meds every day.

granatelli
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Jan 2010, 1:33 am

You don't think that an NT partner couldn't bring a whole lot more realistic perspective to the table than an AS partner (who has a spouse who is AS also)? He's trying to help her navigate through this tricky world by offering her the perspective of his non AS brain. Geeze, accept the gift.

It's like saying a sighted partner would be no more help to a blind spouse than another blind person. It's just not true.

zen_mistress wrote:
granatelli wrote:
Spokane_Girl wrote:

The gift you have in your husband is he is an NT, he loves you, and he can see how the world affects you from an outside perspective.

Well I dont see an NT husband as any more a "gift" than an AS husband. Men are men, and either type of man could be a supportive husband.

Spokane Girl, trust your own judgement, not anyone else's. It is your decision to make. Having AS still means you can judge what is right for you.

Bookworm8
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Jan 2010, 1:45 am

All I have to say is DO NOT TAKE MEDICATIONS! They do nothing. I was being medicated for Asperger's for several years until I thought "enough is enough" and threw them in the trash. I'm telling you, whether it's Autism or ADD, they will not work.

Moony
Toucan
Toucan

09 Jan 2010, 1:52 am

Bookworm8 wrote:
All I have to say is DO NOT TAKE MEDICATIONS! They do nothing. I was being medicated for Asperger's for several years until I thought "enough is enough" and threw them in the trash. I'm telling you, whether it's Autism or ADD, they will not work.

Oh, they work. To a degree. But they also can cause anxiety and depression (along with a myriad of other possible side effects), and can alter physical and mental development in children.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2010, 2:05 am

Yeah, me.

Anti-anxiety stuff allows me to function better when I'm on it, I mean, helping out around the house and interacting better with my mother. When I'm off them, I function about the same as a stump, except for the bare basics (I don't even talk to my mother).

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2010, 4:21 am

granatelli wrote:
You don't think that an NT partner couldn't bring a whole lot more realistic perspective to the table than an AS partner (who has a spouse who is AS also)? He's trying to help her navigate through this tricky world by offering her the perspective of his non AS brain. Geeze, accept the gift.

Oh my god. You think you are better than an AS person? You think you are "gifted" because you are NT? You actually think you bring more to the table as a husband than an AS man?

I am lost for words.

Taking a break.

granatelli
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Jan 2010, 10:16 am

What's with the attitude? I didn't say I was gifted. I didn't say I was better than an AS person. But to deny that someone who is NT is not at an advantage in adult life is asinine. NT's have an easier time holding a job, staying married and just plain getting along and making friends in social situations. That's because they see the world differently than someone with AS. And if you're AS and you're married to someone who is NT why not be accepting of their perspective? Be glad that you have someone you can trust who can give you another point of view.

zen_mistress wrote:
granatelli wrote:

Oh my god. You think you are better than an AS person? You think you are "gifted" because you are NT? You actually think you bring more to the table as a husband than an AS man?

I am lost for words.

09 Jan 2010, 10:25 am

granatelli wrote:

It's like saying a sighted partner would be no more help to a blind spouse than another blind person. It's just not true.

OMG, you're psychic. I had to ask my husband if that is what he is doing and he said yes. I told him I am not suffering and I am not that bad and he said I still have trouble. I'm happy and I am not that badly effected by it. It gets worse when I fall under stress but most of the time I'm borderline. I found ways to deal with it so it's not bad. I don't care if its "not coping with it." That's just his opinion.

If I have to, I can get put on medication after I have a kid but I have to be done nursing by then but that is if I am worse and am unable to control myself. Kids are 24/7 while wedding plans are not 24/7. You go back it and leave and go back to it and leave but with kids you can't. Sure parents take vacations but not all the time. Only once in a while. Same as when they go out and leave their kids home with a baby sitter and that costs money but I don't go out much anyway and I never go to places where young kids shouldn't be and I don't like going to movies anymore because of the cost of tickets (I'll go occasionally). I can wait for a movie to get on DVD to see it. I would rather not take a baby to a movie and risk missing parts of it when the kid starts crying. At home you can just pause the movie. Theaters don't.
Oh wait, I go to autism groups and one fetish group and they're 18 and up only. But I'll play it by ear.

My husband has aspie traits and he outgrew some of them he said, he's learned in life. His mind isn't wired the NT way because he has brain damage due to lack of oxygen to his brain at birth. I don't even consider him NT.

granatelli
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Jan 2010, 11:17 am

Spokane_Girl wrote:

OMG, you're psychic. I had to ask my husband if that is what he is doing and he said yes. I told him I am not suffering and I am not that bad and he said I still have trouble. I'm happy and I am not that badly effected by it. It gets worse when I fall under stress but most of the time I'm borderline. I found ways to deal with it so it's not bad. I don't care if its "not coping with it." That's just his opinion.

When you're stressed or have a meltdown who is the first one in the line of your anger? Probably your husband. Since he is the one that has to bear the brunt of your anger he's probably the one who would most like to see you get a handle of some of these issues. Again, trust his perspective. I'm not saying that you should blindly do whatever he says. But at least explore the possibilities. He's trying to tell you something. Listen. Cheers.

keowyn
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Jan 2010, 3:38 pm

Spokane Girl,

Only YOU can decide if medication might be part of the answer for you...the first answer you have to find is if your anxiety/ADHD is limiting you in any way. If it is limiting you in ways that you find uncomfortable, then it's worth exploring as an option. Go to a doctor and talk out your fears. S/He may recommend something, or not. There are lots of non-medication treatments out there for those issues. Nobody's going to force you to take any recommendation; it is your decision. It hurts nothing to learn about what might be available.

Now, when you have your child, you'll have to explore the question in a much different way. Kids are stressful! Wonderful, but stressful! You simply can't neglect the effect your anxiety or depression might have on your child. There's a lot of data out there about how untreated illness can negatively affect bonding and security in infants/toddlers, and those are building blocks to some of the most basic parts of the brain. It may even be worth it to explore medication or other treatment options before you even start trying to get pregnant, so you might know what will work after you are done nursing...especially if you choose the medication route...to avoid what can be an awkward trial-and-error period with the medications.

And now for some finger-wagging! NO ONE on here should make a global statement like "meds are great for everyone" or "meds are terrible for everyone." Everyone is different and so are their situations. Please post your opinion as such, especially if you have personal experience, but NOBODY can make such broad statements about such a complicated issue.

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2010, 3:58 pm

I dont see the point of getting into arguments with people as it is a waste of my energy. But I will say that had some bad adverse reactions to the med I was on- Celexa. My old GP prescribed it, assuring me it would be ok. I took it in 2006-7 and I am still dealing with the problems it has caused now, 2 years later.

The thing is, the drugs can be ok with some people, other people can have huge problems. I had great difficulty getting off them and I still am having problems. I would do anything to go back in time and not have taken them.

I know they help some people a lot, but they are risks involved in taking them. I only wish my old GP could have told me about this but she believed that they had pretty much the same effect on anyone.

Taking a break.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2010, 4:08 pm

Shareese wrote:
Wow; IdahoRose, you seem so sedate and sane and I can't REALLY imagine EVERYONE thinking you need meds!

Well thank you! :) But the only reason I'm so mellow is because I'm medicated. Before I went on meds, I was extremely anxiety-ridden, OCD, and kind of psychotic. If I had been posting before I started treatment, I would have come across as very neurotic and out of touch with reality. All of my family members agree that going on medication was the right decision for me.