Page 2 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

LivingInParentheses
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2015, 6:40 am

thewrll wrote:
LivingInParentheses wrote:
In 1986 I was 13 years old and we got MTV. What started as an obsession with 80s rock (seeing Poison, Ratt, Aerosmith, Whitesnake, Skid Row, all those bands live back then) eventually morphed into an obsession with heavy metal music around the time that I was first introduced to Metallica's "Sanitarium" when I was 16 in 1989.

Metallica and Queensryche are two that I've seen live (I saw the tours for both Operation:Mindcrime and Empire, one of which was actually a QR/Metallica tour for And Justice For All if I recall correctly).. between the early 90s and early 00s I got married and had children and tried very hard to play the NT game and let music go (I will never EVER make that mistake again!!).

Then in the early 00s I found Dream Theater, who is still a band I go see live to this day every chance I get (I've met the band and have a pic of my daughter with John Petrucci actually, and pics of myself with most of the band members but they're always terrible pics)... have also taken my 12 year old daughter to see them live, as well as Opeth, Katatonia, Alice Cooper, and KISS, among others (I wanted her to get a good solid foundation for music all set when she was little so we began those concert outings when she was 8 years old)... I've moved on to newer music that she likes at this point which would be considered not metal at all (we went to Van's Warped Tour this summer to see "her" bands, put it that way), and of course my longest standing special interest now is Steven Wilson/Porcupine Tree which is also not metal, but heavy metal led me to progressive metal led me to prog rock lead me to prog led me to PT, and I really like it here in progland.

Still, I just went to see Queensryche live a few months ago (took my daughter of course) and we were front row up against the barricade standing in front of the stage and it was FANTASTIC.

So, though my musical interests have continued to evolve as I've grown, I feel like it's safe to post here because I still stay true to my long-term favorites like Dream Theater, Metallica, and Queensryche... I feel like they're old friends.

Which queensryche? There are now two.

There's only one. Geoff Tate left and his new band is called "Operation: Mindcrime". He lost the lawsuit.

Queensryche is still all of the original members except Parker and Todd, the new singer, who is FANTASTIC! (IMO, Whip - Michael Wilton - is the man behind the band anyway if I had to choose one member to hang it all on, not Geoff Tate, but that's obviously just my opinion.)

So, I saw the original lineup back in the 80's twice, and Queensryche with Todd La Torre as frontman a few months ago.

I've never seen Geoff Tate's new band, O:M.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2015, 1:02 pm

Hopefully what happened to Queensryche is not what happens to Immortal.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2015, 1:16 pm

thewrll wrote:
Hopefully what happened to Queensryche is not what happens to Immortal.

From the sound of it two members are continuing Immortal...and this Abbath character is going to form a new band named after himself he's not going to try and create a new 'Immortal'. At least according to wikipedia lol.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2015, 4:22 pm

I hope that's true. Immortal is really the first black metal band I was into.

beakybird
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2015, 7:26 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
beakybird wrote:
Shiznown wrote:
I'm not talking about "Nu Metal" or "Metalcore". I'm talking about Tradition, NWOBHM, Thrash, Black, Doom, Power, Speed, Death, Viking, ect. All styles but the new crap ones, that aren't even really heavy metal.

yawn. snore. Viking metal is the lamest thing that was ever created

Why do "real metal" fans find the need to disparage styles that may actually cause the genre to continue past this generation? Why must it be shoved in a box to wither and die? People like you are killing the music you claim to love. We need to respect all heavy music or else it will die.

Wow, how do you figure things like Viking metal are killing metal?....Obviously even you don't go by respecting all heavy music which Viking Metal is very much a part of even if you personally find it boring or lame. People who prefer metal to metalcore are killing the music we claim to love by liking metal more? I don't get it.

I suppose you have a point. I guess I'm bitter when I see bands working hard, doing new and experimental things, and barely able to make a career for themselves and elitists trying to keep the genre where it was 25+ years ago. This does present an obstacle to the perpetuity of the genre.

I mean recently I went to go see a show with two bands that are very unique very talented and heavy as hell. On Labor day weekend no less. Now granted, these are underground bands, but literally like 8-10 people were there. It was sad. So bands will pack up and quit due to the lack of support. But they are pushing boundaries and trying to do new things, making new combinations of sound, yet being criticized for it for being substandard. So I lose out on the things I love because it's a far too restrictive scene. Then bands change their sound to try and acquire a fan base so they can make a living.

It's one thing to dislike it, but the opinions of dislike are not based often on the music itself bu the fact that it falls outside of the expectations and limitations of what "real" metal is. I mean any form of art must evolve or it will die. You will not find too many younger people into old school metal some yes, but not many. And they can't discover the newer stuff too often because it's marginalized and you really have to hunt for it. So you get people actually scared to get into stuff because of fearing how that is perceived in the scene. This whole concept is sort of silly, but it's self-defeating.

But as with any respect/disrespect issues, it is a cycle. You give disrespect you get it back and it goes on.

HappyHaunt13
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Nov 2015, 5:02 pm

Ronnie James freaking Dio! It would have been amazing to see him live!

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2015, 1:39 pm

beakybird wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
beakybird wrote:
Shiznown wrote:
I'm not talking about "Nu Metal" or "Metalcore". I'm talking about Tradition, NWOBHM, Thrash, Black, Doom, Power, Speed, Death, Viking, ect. All styles but the new crap ones, that aren't even really heavy metal.

Why do "real metal" fans find the need to disparage styles that may actually cause the genre to continue past this generation? Why must it be shoved in a box to wither and die? People like you are killing the music you claim to love. We need to respect all heavy music or else it will die.

Wow, how do you figure things like Viking metal are killing metal?....Obviously even you don't go by respecting all heavy music which Viking Metal is very much a part of even if you personally find it boring or lame. People who prefer metal to metalcore are killing the music we claim to love by liking metal more? I don't get it.

I suppose you have a point. I guess I'm bitter when I see bands working hard, doing new and experimental things, and barely able to make a career for themselves and elitists trying to keep the genre where it was 25+ years ago. This does present an obstacle to the perpetuity of the genre.

I mean recently I went to go see a show with two bands that are very unique very talented and heavy as hell. On Labor day weekend no less. Now granted, these are underground bands, but literally like 8-10 people were there. It was sad. So bands will pack up and quit due to the lack of support. But they are pushing boundaries and trying to do new things, making new combinations of sound, yet being criticized for it for being substandard. So I lose out on the things I love because it's a far too restrictive scene. Then bands change their sound to try and acquire a fan base so they can make a living.

It's one thing to dislike it, but the opinions of dislike are not based often on the music itself bu the fact that it falls outside of the expectations and limitations of what "real" metal is. I mean any form of art must evolve or it will die. You will not find too many younger people into old school metal some yes, but not many. And they can't discover the newer stuff too often because it's marginalized and you really have to hunt for it. So you get people actually scared to get into stuff because of fearing how that is perceived in the scene. This whole concept is sort of silly, but it's self-defeating.

But as with any respect/disrespect issues, it is a cycle. You give disrespect you get it back and it goes on.

I just don't see metal, even old-school style dying out anytime soon...there are even recent/newish metal bands that play old school style heavy metal. I don't think Metal as a genre has to remain within the bounds of traditional heavy metal...and I don't think it has to 'die' to make way for the newer and 'better' genres. I listen to lots of oldschool stuff, and lots of newer more extreme metal. Seems pretty easy to find...and kids these days have much more access to the internet and such if anything I'd think that would make it easier for them to discover new music that's not really popularized by the media.

DaughterOfAule
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Nov 2015, 1:11 am

I just stopped in to say that I love metal! Mainly Folk, symphonic, and power metal, but bits of others too. Also, if it is metal from Finland there is a good chance I like it :P

To list the bands I can think of right now:

Blind Guardian
Eluveitie
Nightwish
Wintersun
Stratovarious
Korpiklaani
Ensiferum
Sonata Arctica

My brain has failed me, I can't remember more right now...

"I do not wish to evade the world
Yet I will forever build my own" - Tuomas Holopainen

JeffDmetalgod2
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Nov 2015, 12:56 pm

The majority of my musical tastes are pre 1990. So a partial list, I love 80's stuff the best but was raised on Kiss, Alice Cooper,etc.
so: Judas Priest
Iron Maiden
Motley Crue esp SATD
Slayer
Venom
W.A.S.P.
Lizzy Borden
Raven
Fastway
Motorhead
Mercyful Fate
Hellhammer/Celtic Frost
Dio era Sabbath
pre Zakk Ozzy
Loudness
etc and so forth. I also love punk/hardcore, New Wave and Goth music.

beakybird
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2015, 7:47 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
beakybird wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
beakybird wrote:
Shiznown wrote:

I just don't see metal, even old-school style dying out anytime soon...there are even recent/newish metal bands that play old school style heavy metal. I don't think Metal as a genre has to remain within the bounds of traditional heavy metal...and I don't think it has to 'die' to make way for the newer and 'better' genres. I listen to lots of oldschool stuff, and lots of newer more extreme metal. Seems pretty easy to find...and kids these days have much more access to the internet and such if anything I'd think that would make it easier for them to discover new music that's not really popularized by the media.

I've got to disagree. Metal IS dying. In America for sure, not as much in Europe. This is why for 10-15 years any up and coming bands spend a larger part touring there. The same band that draws 1,000 ppl on a weeknight in Germany will only draw like 400-500 ppl on a Saturday in NYC. The attendance at all the Metal festivals is going down every year and the lineups are getting stale. I mean I went to one such "festival" style show with about 15 or so bands. Some of whom are fairy well recognized. And there were 300 ppl there if lucky. As I'm watching this show, I'm thinking to myself how these bands continue financially. After researching a little bit I discovered most of them are not. Record deals for metal bands usually work much different then they used to. No more money up front to record. If they do it's a pathetically small amount. Then many of them don't pay to tour, yet take a cut of the proceeds. A large one.
Record deals are harder to get today than 20 yrs ago. There's way fewer people actually buying the music. Most metal bands have resigned themselves to not getting paid for their art, but rather using it to sell T-shirts and other merch, which is where these bands make most of their money (if you got o a show ALWAYS buy something, particularly clothing. ALWAYS. Its how these guys get paid.)

Then factor in the overall declining exposure to Metal. In the 80's it was underground in a not very crowded underground. Or arena rock which sold out stadiums. Rap had not yet taken over as the choice of the younger generation. It has now. In the 90's things really took off for the nu-metal style bands and heavier music was at it's most popular ever across the mainstream. But it's been in decline since then. Most fans of Metal seem to be 30+. Due to the nature of Metal, many people over 30 stop caring due to changes in lifestyle (not so much anger/hatred), or the fact that such heavy music is harder on the ears to some as they get older. So if younger people don't really get into it, and older people are getting out of it, what does that leave? While I think alot of these guys are doing it for the love of the music, you've got to eat. I've known of several good bands that broke up due to just not making money. Not personality discord, not drug addiction, but just simply they'd rather go get a 9-5 and actually make a living. And many who are still going have to work in addition to touring and writing/recording. You can't tell me this doesn't impact the artistic integrity. That's a sad state of things. Metal is dying in America.

Socially speaking, rebellion, questioning authority, anti-conformity and anger are not "in" ideas today. It's the opposite. So the voice of that spirit is dying as well.

Aspie202
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Dec 2015, 7:50 am

Well, I do like AC/DC's "Thunderstruck".