Page 2 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

CowboyFromHell
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 22 Dec 2007
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,184
Location: Surprise, Arizona

09 Jan 2010, 4:53 pm

Top 5

Pantera
Lamb Of God
Children Of Bodom
Theory Of Hate
Throwdown


_________________
www.Last.fm/user/BadMoonReaper
I love WP's color scheme. Green is awesome when you're blue!


DataSage
Raven
Raven

User avatar

Joined: 30 Nov 2006
Gender: Male
Posts: 114
Location: Florida

09 Jan 2010, 9:02 pm

Iron Maiden
Iced Earth
Motorhead
Yngwie Malmsteen
Dream Evil



Jacob Alexander
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2015
Age: 24
Posts: 70
Location: United States of America

12 Oct 2015, 2:36 pm

I really like Metallica and Slayer with Patera thrown in. . . .

The Clown



thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 10 May 2009
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,536

12 Oct 2015, 9:37 pm

Some of my recent favorite metal bands are

Panopticon
Midnight Odyssey
Abysmal Growls Of Despair
Movimento D'avanguardia Ermetico
Slugdge


_________________
WRLL


Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Jan 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 30,234
Location: Somewhere in Colorado

12 Oct 2015, 9:59 pm

Yes, metal is my favorite I listen to so much it would be hard to pick a favorite band. I am not much into metalcore either or any of those sort of genres. But to name some metal bands of various genres I do like:
-Dimmu Borgir
-Ghost
-Children of Bodom
-Taake
-Finntroll
-Moonspell
-Iron Maiden
-Katatonia
-The Sword
-Black Sabbath
-Electric Wizard
-Behemoth
-Belphegor
-Amon Amarth
-Dalriada
-Satyricon
-Svartsot
just to name a few.


_________________
Welcome to hell, this is the end.


thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 10 May 2009
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,536

12 Oct 2015, 10:12 pm

If you want to find some of the best metal out there, try bandcamp.com.


_________________
WRLL


beakybird
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Dec 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,788
Location: nj

13 Oct 2015, 7:42 pm

Shiznown wrote:
I'm not talking about "Nu Metal" or "Metalcore". I'm talking about Tradition, NWOBHM, Thrash, Black, Doom, Power, Speed, Death, Viking, ect. All styles but the new crap ones, that aren't even really heavy metal.


yawn. snore. Viking metal is the lamest thing that was ever created

Why do "real metal" fans find the need to disparage styles that may actually cause the genre to continue past this generation? Why must it be shoved in a box to wither and die? People like you are killing the music you claim to love. We need to respect all heavy music or else it will die.



Last edited by beakybird on 13 Oct 2015, 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beakybird
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Dec 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,788
Location: nj

13 Oct 2015, 7:45 pm

DemonAbyss10 wrote:
silvskaterdude wrote:
indusstiel metal- amerian head charge, system of a down( they have many styles some songs fit that genre)


when I think industrial metal I think more along the lines of Powerman 5000, ministry, and still life decay.


Yeah that's more industrial metal. Downward Spiral era NIN, and especially Fear Factory.



autismthinker21
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Jul 2011
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Posts: 552
Location: illinois

15 Oct 2015, 3:50 pm

beakybird wrote:
Shiznown wrote:
I'm not talking about "Nu Metal" or "Metalcore". I'm talking about Tradition, NWOBHM, Thrash, Black, Doom, Power, Speed, Death, Viking, ect. All styles but the new crap ones, that aren't even really heavy metal.


yawn. snore. Viking metal is the lamest thing that was ever created

Why do "real metal" fans find the need to disparage styles that may actually cause the genre to continue past this generation? Why must it be shoved in a box to wither and die? People like you are killing the music you claim to love. We need to respect all heavy music or else it will die.

There is also pirate metal. My main music is metal church, megadeth. Ozzy. Metallica is kind boring to me. Disturbed I used to listen to. But they got really lame and died out. New band that disturbed made was device. My music selection is very basic now. I used to be into tool and speed metal like dragon force but that all died out on me.


_________________
In order to be free, you must take your chances of letting your tortured self to be forgiven.


beakybird
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Dec 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,788
Location: nj

15 Oct 2015, 5:24 pm

autismthinker21 wrote:
beakybird wrote:
Shiznown wrote:
I'm not talking about "Nu Metal" or "Metalcore". I'm talking about Tradition, NWOBHM, Thrash, Black, Doom, Power, Speed, Death, Viking, ect. All styles but the new crap ones, that aren't even really heavy metal.


yawn. snore. Viking metal is the lamest thing that was ever created

Why do "real metal" fans find the need to disparage styles that may actually cause the genre to continue past this generation? Why must it be shoved in a box to wither and die? People like you are killing the music you claim to love. We need to respect all heavy music or else it will die.

There is also pirate metal. My main music is metal church, megadeth. Ozzy. Metallica is kind boring to me. Disturbed I used to listen to. But they got really lame and died out. New band that disturbed made was device. My music selection is very basic now. I used to be into tool and speed metal like dragon force but that all died out on me.


Maybe you just need a less conventional delivery method for your metal. I personally love different genres/elements infused into my metal myself.



Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Jan 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 30,234
Location: Somewhere in Colorado

19 Oct 2015, 3:35 pm

beakybird wrote:
Shiznown wrote:
I'm not talking about "Nu Metal" or "Metalcore". I'm talking about Tradition, NWOBHM, Thrash, Black, Doom, Power, Speed, Death, Viking, ect. All styles but the new crap ones, that aren't even really heavy metal.


yawn. snore. Viking metal is the lamest thing that was ever created

Why do "real metal" fans find the need to disparage styles that may actually cause the genre to continue past this generation? Why must it be shoved in a box to wither and die? People like you are killing the music you claim to love. We need to respect all heavy music or else it will die.


Wow, how do you figure things like Viking metal are killing metal?....Obviously even you don't go by respecting all heavy music which Viking Metal is very much a part of even if you personally find it boring or lame. People who prefer metal to metalcore are killing the music we claim to love by liking metal more? I don't get it.


_________________
Welcome to hell, this is the end.


upaya
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

User avatar

Joined: 18 Oct 2015
Age: 24
Posts: 5

19 Oct 2015, 10:04 pm

favorite bands (off the top of my head):

Judas Priest (their 70s work is AMAZING)
Queensryche (first EP and debut album are their best work)
Crimson Glory
Madison
Shok Paris
Pretty Maids
High Power
Sleep
Riot
Mystic Prophecy
Iced Earth
Fatal Violence
Aspid
Watchtower
Coroner
Icon
Catacomb
Brutality
At the Gates (first ep and two albums)
Gorguts
Suffocation
Pyrexia (first album)
Xenomorph
Paradox
Artillery
Sinister
Monstrosity
Immolation
Incantation
Morpheus Descends
Kamelot
Witchery
Leatherwolf
Liege Lord
Axehammer
Double Diamond
Omen



LivingInParentheses
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Oct 2015
Age: 46
Posts: 544
Location: upstate NY

21 Oct 2015, 7:43 am

In 1986 I was 13 years old and we got MTV. What started as an obsession with 80s rock (seeing Poison, Ratt, Aerosmith, Whitesnake, Skid Row, all those bands live back then) eventually morphed into an obsession with heavy metal music around the time that I was first introduced to Metallica's "Sanitarium" when I was 16 in 1989.

Metallica and Queensryche are two that I've seen live (I saw the tours for both Operation:Mindcrime and Empire, one of which was actually a QR/Metallica tour for And Justice For All if I recall correctly).. between the early 90s and early 00s I got married and had children and tried very hard to play the NT game and let music go (I will never EVER make that mistake again!!).

Then in the early 00s I found Dream Theater, who is still a band I go see live to this day every chance I get (I've met the band and have a pic of my daughter with John Petrucci actually, and pics of myself with most of the band members but they're always terrible pics)... have also taken my 12 year old daughter to see them live, as well as Opeth, Katatonia, Alice Cooper, and KISS, among others (I wanted her to get a good solid foundation for music all set when she was little so we began those concert outings when she was 8 years old)... I've moved on to newer music that she likes at this point which would be considered not metal at all (we went to Van's Warped Tour this summer to see "her" bands, put it that way), and of course my longest standing special interest now is Steven Wilson/Porcupine Tree which is also not metal, but heavy metal led me to progressive metal led me to prog rock lead me to prog led me to PT, and I really like it here in progland.

Still, I just went to see Queensryche live a few months ago (took my daughter of course) and we were front row up against the barricade standing in front of the stage and it was FANTASTIC.

So, though my musical interests have continued to evolve as I've grown, I feel like it's safe to post here because I still stay true to my long-term favorites like Dream Theater, Metallica, and Queensryche... I feel like they're old friends.


_________________
~ ( Living in Parentheses ) - female aspie, diagnosed at 42 ~
BAP: 132 aloof, 121 rigid, 84 pragmatic // Cambridge Face Memory Test: 62% // AQ: 39


thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 10 May 2009
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,536

21 Oct 2015, 10:04 pm

LivingInParentheses wrote:
In 1986 I was 13 years old and we got MTV. What started as an obsession with 80s rock (seeing Poison, Ratt, Aerosmith, Whitesnake, Skid Row, all those bands live back then) eventually morphed into an obsession with heavy metal music around the time that I was first introduced to Metallica's "Sanitarium" when I was 16 in 1989.

Metallica and Queensryche are two that I've seen live (I saw the tours for both Operation:Mindcrime and Empire, one of which was actually a QR/Metallica tour for And Justice For All if I recall correctly).. between the early 90s and early 00s I got married and had children and tried very hard to play the NT game and let music go (I will never EVER make that mistake again!!).

Then in the early 00s I found Dream Theater, who is still a band I go see live to this day every chance I get (I've met the band and have a pic of my daughter with John Petrucci actually, and pics of myself with most of the band members but they're always terrible pics)... have also taken my 12 year old daughter to see them live, as well as Opeth, Katatonia, Alice Cooper, and KISS, among others (I wanted her to get a good solid foundation for music all set when she was little so we began those concert outings when she was 8 years old)... I've moved on to newer music that she likes at this point which would be considered not metal at all (we went to Van's Warped Tour this summer to see "her" bands, put it that way), and of course my longest standing special interest now is Steven Wilson/Porcupine Tree which is also not metal, but heavy metal led me to progressive metal led me to prog rock lead me to prog led me to PT, and I really like it here in progland.

Still, I just went to see Queensryche live a few months ago (took my daughter of course) and we were front row up against the barricade standing in front of the stage and it was FANTASTIC.

So, though my musical interests have continued to evolve as I've grown, I feel like it's safe to post here because I still stay true to my long-term favorites like Dream Theater, Metallica, and Queensryche... I feel like they're old friends.



Which queensryche? There are now two.


_________________
WRLL


thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 10 May 2009
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,536

21 Oct 2015, 10:12 pm

LivingInParentheses wrote:
In 1986 I was 13 years old and we got MTV. What started as an obsession with 80s rock (seeing Poison, Ratt, Aerosmith, Whitesnake, Skid Row, all those bands live back then) eventually morphed into an obsession with heavy metal music around the time that I was first introduced to Metallica's "Sanitarium" when I was 16 in 1989.

Metallica and Queensryche are two that I've seen live (I saw the tours for both Operation:Mindcrime and Empire, one of which was actually a QR/Metallica tour for And Justice For All if I recall correctly).. between the early 90s and early 00s I got married and had children and tried very hard to play the NT game and let music go (I will never EVER make that mistake again!!).

Then in the early 00s I found Dream Theater, who is still a band I go see live to this day every chance I get (I've met the band and have a pic of my daughter with John Petrucci actually, and pics of myself with most of the band members but they're always terrible pics)... have also taken my 12 year old daughter to see them live, as well as Opeth, Katatonia, Alice Cooper, and KISS, among others (I wanted her to get a good solid foundation for music all set when she was little so we began those concert outings when she was 8 years old)... I've moved on to newer music that she likes at this point which would be considered not metal at all (we went to Van's Warped Tour this summer to see "her" bands, put it that way), and of course my longest standing special interest now is Steven Wilson/Porcupine Tree which is also not metal, but heavy metal led me to progressive metal led me to prog rock lead me to prog led me to PT, and I really like it here in progland.

Still, I just went to see Queensryche live a few months ago (took my daughter of course) and we were front row up against the barricade standing in front of the stage and it was FANTASTIC.

So, though my musical interests have continued to evolve as I've grown, I feel like it's safe to post here because I still stay true to my long-term favorites like Dream Theater, Metallica, and Queensryche... I feel like they're old friends.




Which queensryche? There are now two.


_________________
WRLL