Page 3 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

ScottF
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2010, 8:47 am

I love driving, the traffic not so much. The cops I loathe. I have a 1996 Civic coupe with a B16B swap( 200hp) with an LSD transmission and several suspension upgrades, it is also technically in violation of several state and federal emissions laws...lol don't tell anyone...

Mud_Buddha
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Jan 2010, 9:59 am

I'm 33 and have never driven anything faster than a bike myself (okay, I steered a Cessna once for a couple of minutes, but that doesn't really count). I never had the urge to go faster than that. Speed and sudden changes related to speed freak me out. For example, I'm not a big fan of rollercoasters too.

After my diagnosis a couple of years ago things like that suddenly made sense. I was never aware of how stressed out I became when I'm even on my bike in a crowded city center. In case of getting a driver's licence I was always like "I don't need it", "it's too expensive" or the classic "but I don't even have a car". But with my diagnosis came a lot self awareness and now I just know driving a car in traffic just isn't for me.

Not that I don't think I won't be an excellent driver, if I ever win a lottery I'll buy a fancy car and get my licence, it's just the wole traffic thing with other people and the potential danger that comes with that. I know now how my focus and concentration wavers and that's alright if you're just walking or cycling in traffic, but driving a car is something else.

So basically it comes down to too much impulses from outside to proces at the same time and the lack of focus on my own actions, I guess. And because of that it's simply not worth the effort and money. I could use that for a lot more interesting and important things. Thankfully I live in a small country with an excellent public transport system, so I get around easily. :-)

kingtut3
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Jan 2010, 10:28 am

I drive. I have trouble with merging and paralell parking.

lotuspuppy
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2010, 4:22 pm

I drive, but avoid it when I can. For instance, I live in a place with great public transportation services, and don't own a car. I want a car of my own, but only for grocery shopping or weekend trips. I could never live in a situation with a two hour commute by car each way. Why waste four hours of a day doing something I do not enjoy, especially when I can avoid it? That type of thing is expensive, too.

musicislife
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2010, 4:31 pm

i'm 18, have had my permit since i was 16 and i'm just starting to drive.

my biggest problem was that the only car my family had was a Honda Odessey, and because of how the car is designed, i can't see the hood of it from the driver's seat, so to me, the car ended at the end of the windshield. we just got a used Dodge Stratus for me to practice in, and it will be MY car once i get my license.

Glyph
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Jan 2010, 7:55 pm

I live in a rural town and have to drive to the small town where I work, but I don't like it. I refuse to drive in the city (Montgomery, AL), I just can't handle the sensory overload. I tense up and grip the wheel like crazy when a car is on the road beside me. I hate how careless and aggressive other drivers are.

"The reality of the other person lies not in what he reveals to you, but what he cannot reveal to you. Therefore, if you would understand him, listen not to what he says, but rather to what he does not say" - Kahlil Gibran

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2010, 9:05 pm

I have no issues with driving. It's everyone else instead.... I'm serious. With some of the roads I am on, I always seem to get the hesitant person who starts to pull out, sees me, stops, then thinks I've disappeared and pulls out in front of me and I have to hit the brakes. I had to correct the pressure as I locked up the wheels.

I would have to rate my own driving as above average. I would like to see other peoples driving of those who also think their driving is above average and see if they are boasting or truly do have other skills in use.

My brother has been driving longer than me and he is older, but I have given him a couple of tips for better driving. Both of which he stills uses today.

Getting the most out of the car involves KNOWING the car fully as every car is different. You can line two cars of the same engine, seats, interior, but there will be a difference between them character wise.

It's never about the most horsepower an engine has, there is also "torque" or on some bad subtitles I once saw "talk" - lol. Someone who tunes an engine, or swaps them should also know the exact displacement, torque, and a few other factors, but saying I have xxHP engine means nothing without torque ;) It's possible that an engine with more less horse power than another engine can out accelerate it if it has more torque than the one with more horses

zippy256
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Jan 2010, 12:59 am

Keith wrote:
I have no issues with driving. It's everyone else instead.... I'm serious.

Indeed! With the snow we're having at the moment, there seem to be 2 types of drivers - those who drive so slow that the speed needle doesn't even move, and those who slide all over the place and wonder why! Personally, I just love the challenge.

My driving record and qualifications would seem to suggest I'm a pretty good driver, but I suppose being obsessed with it helps. Sometimes I get stressed - usually when some *** on an unsilenced motorbike comes roaring past without warning, in which case I just stop in a sensible place, take a walk, and continue.

I know a couple of aspies who are very good drivers (it takes a lot to get me in a vehicle with someone else driving!), and some who are terrible. So in conclusion, I'd say... it depends.

RhettOracle
Toucan
Toucan

21 Jan 2010, 2:11 pm

I'm 51, and I haven't driven a car since 1975. It makes my knees quiver uncontrollably to be behind the wheel of a machine that could easily kill me, or someone else, if I lost my concentration for even a second. I am terrified not to die in an accident, but to live through one, all mangled up. I am sure that I would be in panic mode if I were to be on the interstate at 70 MPH with other people, who might do something I was totally unprepared for, at any time, without warning. I've never taken the drivers' test, and I have no plans to.

seaweasel
Toucan
Toucan

21 Feb 2010, 9:43 pm

seems i am the only one in my family including my cousins without a drivers license.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

21 Feb 2010, 9:57 pm

I have been driving since I was 16 back in 1980. I got my start in a tricky car---a modified 1977 Mustang fastback with a race car engine put in at the factory. The car was three years old when I got it. Even though it had been babied and was in great condition, it was used in drag racing. Today, the Mustang resides in my parents' garage. It has 65,000 miles on it and is kept in excellent condition. I take it out about once a year---it was one of two made. The other one was crashed.

I took my driver's test in that car. I got points deducted for slow pull outs from stop signs. But gee, just barely touching the gas pedal sends the car flying. So I had to be careful.

In the mid 1980's, a man pulled out in front of me when I was driving a VW Beetle. His insurance company offered me $1000 for his mistake. I took it and bought a synthesizer. Another time, a guy hit me in the rear when he didn't see a red light. So no accident was my fault. I have never gotten a speeding ticket or any other traffic ticket. I pay close attention to road laws and keep an eye out for the other driver.

I feel that driving can be a challenge to some Aspies, but for others like me, focus is fine.

Frosteh
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Feb 2010, 6:16 am

I'm a great driver when i'm alone, but once you add more people in the car it gets much harder to focus on the road when people are talking.