Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2010, 3:43 am

In a sentence:

Should me, an Autie with fine motor skills problems, try skateboarding?

--- --- ---

Ok, let me share my old grandma story about skateboarding... :P

I am a good friend with a skateboard shop owner in Singapore, who knows I don't skate but just shares with me about everything under the sun.

But then, one fine day, some stalker on MSN asked me whether I should meet him. I don't like stalkers, who knows what they will do? So I said, 'meet me at x, xx Road'.

He asked, 'What is this?'

I then replied, 'this is a skateboard shop.'

He said, 'Wow, you don't feel like a skater boy. Impressed!' (Indeed I am not)

I just kept silent. He then stopped pestering me.

I don't know where should I place this experience of me, skateboarding and life in general... But yeah, please share your experiences about skates :D

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2010, 8:51 am

I tried a little skateboarding 40 years ago, and I crashed a lot because I do not have your "fine motor skills". If you do decide to give it a try, go easy and do it "just for fun" without worrying about trying to prove yourself capable of all the trick stuff.

amazon_television
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2010, 5:08 pm

I skated when I was age 12-15 (and occasionally after that until I was like 19), I was always horrible at it despite the fact I did it almost every day but I loved it. I went through a phase where I wanted badly to get back into it earlier this year, but ultimately realized it wasn't the best idea because I blew out my left ankle playing hoops a couple years ago and now it buckles constantly just walking around. I will lament it forever, but it's something I'm going to have to live without.

I can snowboard just fine still, even with the rickety f**ked up ankle (much better ankle support in the boots, although I have to take it a little easy compared to when I was a kid), so that will have to fill the void.

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2010, 5:21 am

As stated in Singapore's papers, skateboarding promotes balance... Do you also think this is true?

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2010, 9:51 pm

ruennsheng wrote:
As stated in Singapore's papers, skateboarding promotes balance... Do you also think this is true?

I suppose if you actually stay on the thing often enough to be able to ollie, kickflip, and all that you may have something. I just got disheartened watching my cousin and his freinds all kickflipping over coolers like it was the easiest thing to do - I could barely break an ollie by more than a couple inches and I was overjoyed even to get that.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2010, 10:12 pm

Sigh. I guess I need time to learn all these then to achieve 'balance'...

amazon_television
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2010, 10:42 pm

A couple weeks ago I saw this dude skateboarding at night in an unlit parking lot. It was 8 degrees F and the parking lot was a sheet of ice, and as I was passing by the guy ripped an ollie over a gap while talking on his cell phone :lol:

THAT dude had the balance.

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2010, 4:13 am

I would like that dude to teach me --- he can have perfect balance in cold weather, with his cellphone turned on. Wow!