6.5 earthquake strikes off California coast

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

10 Jan 2010, 6:29 am

Quote:
(CNN) -- A 6.5-magnitude earthquake has struck off the shore of Northern California, leaving thousands of households without power.

The quake, which ran about 13.5 miles deep, hit offshore at 4:27 p.m. (7:27 p.m. ET) Saturday, about 33 miles from the coastal city of Eureka, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

About 28,000 customers, most of them in Humboldt County, were left without power Saturday evening, said Jeff Smith, spokesman for Pacific Gas and Electric Co. One gas leak in the county was also reported.....

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2010, 11:52 am

richie wrote:

Quote:
(CNN) -- A 6.5-magnitude earthquake has struck off the shore of Northern California, leaving thousands of households without power.

The quake, which ran about 13.5 miles deep, hit offshore at 4:27 p.m. (7:27 p.m. ET) Saturday, about 33 miles from the coastal city of Eureka, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

About 28,000 customers, most of them in Humboldt County, were left without power Saturday evening, said Jeff Smith, spokesman for Pacific Gas and Electric Co. One gas leak in the county was also reported.....

That is what happens on the Pacific Plate.

ruveyn

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2010, 10:24 am

Just two weeks ago "hundreds" of sea lions left that area. Tourists came to see them as usual and were very disappointed. It was all seen as a big mystery. Maybe it's no longer a mystery after all. Back when that Tsunami hit Indonesia and lots of other places as well, animals were seen moving upland. Old time miners watched the behavior of rats. When the rats ran in droves, it meant a gas leak., so the miners vacated the area. While we are tekk-ing it up, these creatures are atuned to the basic and unusual rhythms of the earth. We should watch them more carefully. Did anyone ever watch how busy birds get right before a snowstorm that wasn't even expected by the weather forecasters? They're "really" busy and "really" noisy...far more than usual. It's a shame for all ht e life forms that they are subject to us in addition to everything else. It's a shame because people can and should know better.

release_the_bats
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2010, 2:39 pm

Yeah, and there was that one just a while ago that shook up San Jose but apparently felt like just a little harmless shaking in the surrounding area.

During the year that I lived in CA, there was not a single quake. Seems like the faults are acting up again.

alana
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2010, 5:50 pm

RightGalaxy wrote:
Just two weeks ago "hundreds" of sea lions left that area. Tourists came to see them as usual and were very disappointed. It was all seen as a big mystery. Maybe it's no longer a mystery after all. Back when that Tsunami hit Indonesia and lots of other places as well, animals were seen moving upland. Old time miners watched the behavior of rats. When the rats ran in droves, it meant a gas leak., so the miners vacated the area. While we are tekk-ing it up, these creatures are atuned to the basic and unusual rhythms of the earth. We should watch them more carefully. Did anyone ever watch how busy birds get right before a snowstorm that wasn't even expected by the weather forecasters? They're "really" busy and "really" noisy...far more than usual. It's a shame for all ht e life forms that they are subject to us in addition to everything else. It's a shame because people can and should know better.

awesome post. :)

DeVoTeE
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Jan 2010, 10:03 am

I lived in Southern California my whole life and I've been accostumed to earthquakes here. I remember one back in 1994 where the ground moved back and forth and that was at 3 or 4 in the morning. Another quake in 1988 when I was outside the house I grew up in. I never experienced anything like that.