Anyone not care about their attractiveness?

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

therange
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2010, 9:11 pm

I don't mean this as in not taking care of yourself, staying in shape, wearing nice clothes and all of that stuff. What I mean is, you have a realistic (realistic meaning what the majority probably thinks about your appearance) outlook on your appearance, and your confidence or lack of confidence is based on internal characteristics rather than external?

I know I come as socially awkward to a good number of people, but I also know, from hearing opinions, that I'm not particularly ugly, just look like someone who isn't 100 percent alert. As for actual appearance, I'm tall, thin, and my face isn't bad looking. I'm not a model, but I'm average to above average to cute, and for me that's enough.

I used to sound like some posters on here a few years ago...thought "I'm ugly and that's why everyone hates me" and after finding out that isn't the case, I'm surprised that I haven't gained more confidence in myself as a person and been more assertive.

Hector
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2010, 9:30 pm

The body and face I was born with are the least of my worries. I think I do OK with them but I'm not exactly Brad Pitt. I sometimes wonder if letting my hair grow long, rarely standing up straight and not really caring what clothes I put on hurts my chances, and I suppose that is appearance-related.

Ultimately I don't know why college was such a failure for me with the opposite sex, I never noticed that anything in particular was setting me back. I think in the "do you feel unattractive" thread I said something along the lines that I didn't feel unattractive but I also knew that I was.

FuzzyElephants
Raven
Raven

10 Jan 2010, 10:17 pm

As long as my husband is still willing to shag me then i'm set. Apart from that as long as I don't stink or i'm not covered from head to toe with dirt then I honestly don't put too much thought into apearance most days.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

10 Jan 2010, 10:26 pm

I find that it doesn't matter if I care or not about how attractive I look. There are days when I don't put any particular care into my outfit or how I arrange my hair, and I still get unwanted attention. I have been told that I am very attractive, but I take exception to that word. I mean, what is it that I am attracting? :? Any confidence I have now, is more based upon how I feel about myself on the inside, anyway.

kip
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2010, 12:01 am

FuzzyElephants wrote:
As long as my husband is still willing to shag me then i'm set. Apart from that as long as I don't stink or i'm not covered from head to toe with dirt then I honestly don't put too much thought into apearance most days.

Same here. When I worked computer sales I dressed up a bit, but the fact I had no y chromosome in a geek store had me pretty much set... :lol:

?the end of our exploring, will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time. - T.S. Eliot

aeroz
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2010, 12:32 am

I've come to one of two conclusions. Either I am unnattractive, or that doesn't get you as far as people think. In either case my over all package is undesirable.

Though since I dont care, but incase someone else is curious, me when I tie my hair back

Fiz
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2010, 8:18 am

I know that I am not an unattractive person as I have been told by others that I am pretty. But I have never been told I am stunning, so I also know that, to look at, I am average, but this is ok. Most people are. In fact, I personally find those that are considered 'average' more attractive than those that are considered stunners. Whether others think like that or not is another matter. But I do feel assured that it isn't my looks that put people off, but something else about me is a deterrent to others. But that's another subject matter entirely.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2010, 9:15 am

Quote:
Anyone not care about their attractiveness?

i do not know if anyone cares about their attractiveness, but i have no interest in decorating myself.

i never have worn any type of jewelry, and i have never put perfumes or deodorants on me (i do not sweat so i have no native scent of my own).

i do not wear clothes that are chosen to "look good".

i wear tracksuit pants and white unmarked tee shirts at most times that i am out of bed.

i have 3 types of tracksuit pants, and i bought them at different times, and i bought 4 identical tracksuits pants in each type.
so after i do my washing, i have 12 clean tracksuit pants to wear, (and there are 4 copies x3 styles), and i do not bother to change the style of tracksuit pants i choose to put on when i consign the ones i am wearing to the wash basket.
i will just go and get another pair of tracksuit pants (usually of the exact same design) and i put them on.
i am aware that some people may remark (at the shops) "goodness! he's worn the same pants for a week!! !". who cares what they misapprehend?
all my tee shirts are white and nobody ever sees me dressed any differently than i am usually dressed.
when i go to the office at work, i do wear jeans and a collared shirt, but that is for protocol only.

i think it is tiresome and futile to be attractive because when people like what you are saying because they want to "lick your teeth", or they "understand completely" because they want to stroke your hair, they are just like holders of a candy apple (toffee apple) on a stick, and the candy apple is trying to talk to them, but they do not hear, and all they want to do is take a bite.

i am not very well functioning this evening and i am not sure if this post makes sense fully, but i will press the "dump" button anyway.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2010, 12:30 am

If people find me attractive, I'm fine with that. If people don't find me attractive, I'm also fine with that. Their opinion of me doesn't affect who I am.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2010, 1:29 am

I don't care about my attractiveness, because I know i'm just plain unattractive, no matter which way you look at it...

TheMinnesotaIceman
Toucan
Toucan

12 Jan 2010, 2:31 am

I really couldn't care less. If someone will only like me because of how I look, then they are shallow. Those are not the kind of people I want to associate with. I want people to like me for me.

Keyz88
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Jan 2010, 5:53 am

I used to care because I thought it would help me fit in, but even a brief amount of time spent modeling didn't help me fit in. Once I realized that the people I was trying to fit in with were a bunch of two-faced back-stabbers who only cared about themselves, I stopped caring. Now that I don't care, I am much happier.

therange
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2010, 9:10 am

ToadOfSteel wrote:
I don't care about my attractiveness, because I know i'm just plain unattractive, no matter which way you look at it...

Toad, have you taken Hope's advice and sought out therapy yet?

Homer_Bob
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2010, 1:34 pm

My looks aren't the problem, I've been told I'm very attractive as I'm tall and thin. It's my personality that's the bigger problem and my terrible social skills is really what makes me standout as unattractive. I think nowadays looks aren't that big of an issue for anyone unless they are on the hideous size. The physical aspect I feel is the most important is hygiene. There's nothing worse than someone who smells bad. If you smell clean all the time, that adds points to your physical appearance.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

12 Jan 2010, 6:24 pm

Homer_Bob wrote:
The physical aspect I feel is the most important is hygiene. There's nothing worse than someone who smells bad. If you smell clean all the time, that adds points to your physical appearance.

Seconded.

Bataar
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2010, 6:29 pm

That's kind of how I am. I dress for comfort and convenience. Getting dressed up takes longer and is more uncomfortable than wearing jeans/T-shirt.