Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Would you be happy if you could have a robot partner?
Yes, I'd want a robot, I'm a male 22%  22%  [ 5 ]
No, I'd prefer a human, I'm male 35%  35%  [ 8 ]
Yes, I'd want a robot husband who makes the cash and is hot, I'm male or female 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Yes, I'd want a robot husband, I'm female 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
No, I would prefer a human, I'm female 22%  22%  [ 5 ]
there is no having it both ways, I just want to see results 17%  17%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 23

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2010, 7:29 pm

I'm so intrigued with this idea of a possibility of having a perfect robot mate.

Imagine having a partner who is created by you, who never ages, never changes. You could program him/her to have ideas that match yours, etc...

-Pythagoras

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2010, 9:14 pm

I can't believe no one has voted yes. I bet my life you are all too chicken to admit you'd like a robot for a wife. :lol:

-Pythagoras

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2010, 9:23 pm

Magnus wrote:
I can't believe no one has voted yes. I bet my life you are all too chicken to admit you'd like a robot for a wife. :lol:

There have been times in my marriage when the difference would not have been discernible. Wives are cheaper to produce, at the moment.

ASPER
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Jan 2010, 9:33 pm

She wouldn't be a wife, she(it) would just be a sex toy... A really awesome one :D

I would never trade it for a good woman though.
I would get tired of something that I already know how it's react, even if it had some smart ramdomizer chip installed, I could never love the robot.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2010, 9:38 pm

I don't know, just the thought of making love to an inanimate object doesn't sound all that appealing to me. Would take a lot of convincing like that movie AI with Jude Law... :P

An object that doesn't feel is a bit of a turnoff and almost reminds me of necrophelia. But hey each to his/her own.

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2010, 9:58 pm

I agree, but I don't want to judge. :roll:

MissConstrue, do you find it easier to dehumanize women, more so than men?

-Pythagoras

AHAA
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Jan 2010, 10:05 pm

Honestly,

I would go both ways, It sounds like a really cool concept, but the only thing is I don't think I would want to have it as a wife though, There is a something about the human connection that the robot doesn't have although that there will be many attempts to come close to it. It is interesting to try for a short time but I don't think that I would love a robot as of right now until robot have a very similar quality and connection as a human.
Like ASPER said

Quote:
(it) would be a sex toy... A really awesome one :D

Gigity Gigity... All Right!!

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2010, 10:23 pm

Magnus wrote:
I agree, but I don't want to judge. :roll:

MissConstrue, do you find it easier to dehumanize women, more so than men?

No I feel like I could probably dehumanize them both if I wanted to. Just slip em' something in their drink and away we go... :P

But yeah I could probably see why women would be more easy to dehumanize. They take on so many submissive roles in movies, media, etc. Not sure how much is biological and how much are really due to perceptions related for cultural conditioning. If it hadn't been for yaoi my attitude of men probably would've been different then.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2010, 10:32 pm

Hunh, I voted yes. I mean, think about it. It is an entity that will always fulfill some of your basic pleasures and that will never start fights with you, or betray you in any meaningful sense, and it would be easy to attain(no time spent asking it out, dating, marrying it or anything like that). On some level it might feel unwholesome, but let's put it this way: would you rather have a bunch of pictures and a date with Rosy Palmer or even Pamela Handerson, or would you prefer to have something more functional? I vote the latter. Frankly, given that there are services like pictures, phone conversations, dolls, etc, I doubt that nobody would ever buy it. In any case, I wouldn't be surprised if this would be more popular in Japan than the rest of the world. (a random culturally biased extrapolation from other weird Japanese tendencies on these kinds of matters)

Avarice
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2010, 11:46 pm

I voted yes. I don't want a relationship or a wife but the answer just said "Yes, I would want a robot, I'm male." I wouldn't have to do housework and I could stuff it into the closet once it had finished all the chores. And I suppose, yes, "other duties" as well.

It would be slave labor, but not as illegal or as messy as using real slaves.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2010, 12:04 am

Avarice wrote:
I voted yes. I don't want a relationship or a wife but the answer just said "Yes, I would want a robot, I'm male." I wouldn't have to do housework and I could stuff it into the closet once it had finished all the chores. And I suppose, yes, "other duties" as well.

I find the concept of a machine that happens to be of human appearance to be categorized as a slave very amusing. Is a Mickey Mouse watch that gives the time on demand a slave? If I draped a Halloween mask on my vacuum cleaner would I have to consider its emotional condition and pay it a minimum wage? Weird.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2010, 12:04 am

You know this title reminds me of having a relationship with someone with aspergers.

Robotic Partner... :lol:

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2010, 12:09 am

MissConstrue wrote:
You know this title reminds me of having a relationship with someone with aspergers.

Robotic Partner... :lol:

Except asperger people cannot be readjusted with a screwdriver and a multimeter.

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2010, 12:18 am

Autistics and schizophrenics can relate only to depersonalized people, to phantoms of his imagination, perhaps to things, and perhaps to animals but they can never experience the full range of human emotions because they act as a robot in a machine world.

-Pythagoras

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2010, 2:05 am

Magnus wrote:
Autistics and schizophrenics can relate only to depersonalized people, to phantoms of his imagination, perhaps to things, and perhaps to animals but they can never experience the full range of human emotions because they act as a robot in a machine world.

No doubt having a robotic sex machine has its fascination but to accomplish this properly great sophistication would have to be part of the basic software. It would be no problem at all to extend its capabilities to what we today accept as part of the average PC and cell phone with all the current cell phone auxiliary capabilities. This artificial companion could therefore act as a source for net surfing, could play interesting interpersonal games, could speak with a cell phone voice, could aid in medical emergencies, could produce photos from graphics on the net or with a camera as part of its equipment and possibly produce a hot cup of coffee from a compartment in its stomach. Try getting all that with a wife.

On further consideration the dispensing of stimulating fluids by a robot companion would probably be OK by a male version from a body component in a cup but it might be more interesting from a female version by using the natural components, the breasts. One could dispense non-alcoholic fluids such as orange juice, cola, or buttermilk while the other could be devoted to scotch whiskey, red or white wine, beer or vodka. Public laws about breast feeding in public might be a difficulty.

Last edited by Sand on 12 Jan 2010, 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Avarice
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2010, 2:12 am

Sand wrote:
Avarice wrote:

I find the concept of a machine that happens to be of human appearance to be categorized as a slave very amusing. Is a Mickey Mouse watch that gives the time on demand a slave? If I draped a Halloween mask on my vacuum cleaner would I have to consider its emotional condition and pay it a minimum wage? Weird.

I suppose it is rather amusing, perhaps slave labor was not quite the correct phrase. I actually laughed at the thought of a vacuum cleaner with a Halloween mask on it. Though you by no means have to pay slaves. That's servants. Slaves are slaves, they have no choice. I still think that it would be good though, no dishes, no washing, no making beds etc. It's a win-win situation. Except that both wins are for me...