Page 2 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2010, 7:58 pm

I wish I could able to do that, but I don,t have the energy and the disciplin for that. :( I do have learn some randome things by reading at least...

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2010, 8:36 pm

Autie-didact topic

Self study! Yay!! Though an interesting teachspeech or Televisualecture will augment the books I read. I have learned this way this for most of my life.

Studying on-line is a great way to learn as well. :D

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2010, 2:11 am

timeisdead wrote:
I prefer to read and look at visual diagrams rather than listen to a lecture in class. Anyone else the same way? My pattern of learning is also different from the average person. I prefer to hyperfocus on a subject then take a long break vs learning in small chunks throughout a longer period of time.

You are singing my song. After University I completed ALL of my professional qualifications (more than 20 exams) through individual study (distance learning).

This is quite funny because I worked as a 'Corporate Trainer' for almost 10 years AND..............yes..............I would have fallen asleep in my own lectures. :lol:

I incorporate diagrams in my notes when studying and edit the notes over and over. I then print them off and pace around my house, pen and highlighter in hand, reading out loud as I assimilate the information.

I was always puzzled why people bothered attending training courses for professional exams and the consistent response was the in general, people lack the discipline to study alone!

I struggle with auditory processing (although I have managed to overcome this in business when working one on one in particular).

I am an NLP addict and so I am very focussed on the sensory intake of my clients, to ensure that I communicate in the most effective way for THEM.

Although most people are NOT infact primarily auditory processors, formal education continues to be chained to the; 'I talk, you listen approach'.

My daughter just failed a High School credit and instead of being allowed to study independently at home, resubmit assignments and retake the exams she is forced to sit through the same boring (to her) and ineffective (it would seem) lectures, from the same person..............duh

zippy256
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Jan 2010, 6:47 am

I despise being taught in a formal environment, and just have to learn at my own pace.

I was recently forced to sit through 25 hours of programming lectures, which reminded me (in a very bad way) of being back at university. Firstly, I could've learned all the material, and more, in a couple of hours if it was in written form. Secondly, I had to watch videos of some of the lectures several times before I actually took in what the guy was saying.

So yeah, I guess I prefer to learn alone!

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2010, 9:30 am

I prefer learning independently.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

aspiringlibrarian
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Feb 2010, 10:31 pm

I've just finished my master's degree entirely online. I've always loved learning, but hated school, in part because I hated sitting in a classroom. I always wanted to pursue my own interests, at my own speed.

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2010, 11:09 pm

aspiringlibrarian wrote:
I've just finished my master's degree entirely online. I've always loved learning, but hated school, in part because I hated sitting in a classroom. I always wanted to pursue my own interests, at my own speed.

Wow!

A University that has FINALLY evolved beyond the Industrial Age!

Last edited by Blindspot149 on 06 Feb 2010, 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2010, 12:46 am

(0% of what I learned I learned outside the classroom; most of the other 10% was NOT in lecture hall. I never figured out how to take notes. I mostly jotted down - in my invented language to avoid spying eyes - points I found hard to belive, to check out when I got the chance.

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2010, 7:29 am

I wonder if this might have instead been phrased:

Anyone here who ISN"T a solitary learner :?: :lol: