Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

spacecadetdave
Raven
Raven

31 Mar 2010, 2:54 am

I have been working from home for the last 6 months or so. My position is supposed to be office based but my office is about 54 miles away, and as I had a huge meltdown last year I have had difficulty a) driving, and b) facing an office environment. My employer is keen to get me back into the office so I'm not sure how long this situation will go on for.....

But.....

It does take a lot of discipline to work from home. I find that I do a lot of work between 8:30am and lunchtime as I have no interruptions other than the ones I create myself. i.e. I can finish my current train of thought and then put the kettle on, r have a look at the news headlines (I have CNN running for company!). The afternoon I save for looking at older issues and admin work, the morning is for number crunching and coding.

It works for me, but it's not as easy to be productive as you;d think. You have to identify when your peak levels of mental activity are occuring and plan your day around it. In fact, make damn sure you do plan your day or things will not go well.

The best thing is that if you over sleep slightly and wake five minutes before you're due to start work then that's fine... you just start work dressed in your short and dressing gown.

drybones
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Mar 2010, 8:14 am

I work from home for 25% of my working time. Im a software developer/sysadmin.

I've been doing this for years now. I did have to get better at being organised and disciplined though.