Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Autumnphoenix
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Jan 2010, 1:01 am

Lots of us here have had difficulty keeping a job. But how do you guys make sure you have good recommendation letters for your next gig? I'm not worried about looking for my next job and getting interviews; I'm worried about getting positive references. I have no idea what kind of crap certain coworkers have been telling my boss behind my back, and I don't know how to gauge my boss' feelings about me.

While on this subject, I'm also worried about my track record being used against me. How could I reply to a question about why I haven't stayed with anyone long enough? And how could I explain that I couldn't get a reference from my boss from 2 jobs ago?

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2010, 6:39 pm

Your questions have always been tough ones for me, too.

Autumnphoenix wrote:
Lots of us here have had difficulty keeping a job. But how do you guys make sure you have good recommendation letters for your next gig?

I have always tried to have strong personal references I knew would be positive about me if a prospective employer ever actually called and asked.

Autumnphoenix wrote:
How could I reply to a question about why I haven't stayed with anyone long enough?

I have never had good answers there. Sometimes I have said I left to look for a higher rate of pay ... but I never concerned myself about how long I had been anywhere. Instead, I did my best to just come across as a willing worker looking for wherever I could best fit and do a good job.

Autumnphoenix wrote:
And how could I explain that I couldn't get a reference from my boss from 2 jobs ago?

First, do not assume that is your fault. Then, just express a touch of disappointment while hoping s/he is not having too much difficulty finding a suitable replacement ...

But of course, be very careful with that one!

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2010, 9:40 am

Wow. Tough issues.

Autumnphoenix wrote:
Lots of us here have had difficulty keeping a job. But how do you guys make sure you have good recommendation letters for your next gig? I'm not worried about looking for my next job and getting interviews; I'm worried about getting positive references. I have no idea what kind of crap certain coworkers have been telling my boss behind my back, and I don't know how to gauge my boss' feelings about me.

The problem is that you usually can ask for a positive letter of recommendation once you put in your resignation notice or you are told you are being laid off. If you're being terminated, forget it unless a co-worker who supports you will do it.

Quote:
While on this subject, I'm also worried about my track record being used against me. How could I reply to a question about why I haven't stayed with anyone long enough? And how could I explain that I couldn't get a reference from my boss from 2 jobs ago?

The problem here is that you can't control what people will say about you. The plus side is that fear of potential litigation means most places only confirmed that you worked for them and the dates of your employment. However, that means if the won't give a positive reference for you, it doesn't look good either. Even a good employee can be burned if he's up against another candidate whose past employers will give letters of recommendation.

I'm amazed employer even ask for references when they know most everyone has stopped giving them.

Now, as to being someplace a short time, it helps if you can blame it on something believable. If I get laid off, even if I know there was more going on, I give what I was told. I will tell a prospective employer that I was laid off because of budget cuts if that was the reason given to me for why I was let go. It's not as bad IF you're in a recession because lots of people are in the same boat.