Music you love, that everyone else seems to hate

Page 3 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2010, 5:40 pm

Rather sadly, here in the U.S. at least, this is tantamount to sticking a car key in someone's ear and twisting:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S--x_u8pp_I[/youtube]

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

OuterBoroughGirl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Feb 2010, 10:16 pm

.... crap, double post. This one should be deleted.

Last edited by OuterBoroughGirl on 06 Feb 2010, 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OuterBoroughGirl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Feb 2010, 11:28 pm

OuterBoroughGirl wrote:
techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Rather sadly, here in the U.S. at least, this is tantamount to sticking a car key in someone's ear and twisting:

That wasn't my experience. The guy I lost my virginity to nine years ago was big into electronic music. He made several mix CDs for me back in the day. Though it didn't work out between us, I harbor no bitter feelings toward him, and that takes me back.

I can think of a number of groups I like that don't seem all that popular among most of my acquaintances.

Weezer - their song "The Good Life" is playing on my iTunes right now. Those familiar with their music might recognize my present signature quote, which comes from "The World Has Turned, and Left Me Here," from their debut Album
Additionally:
Ben Folds
Coldplay
Death Cab for Cutie
Everclear
Green Day
Moby - My iTunes is now playing "Porcelain," which is why I thought of them.
Sleater-Kinney
The Wallflowers

And many, many, many more. S, my boyfriend of a little over two years, has also gotten me into some groups that don't seem all that popular among the general population, such as The Magnetic Fields, and They Might be Giants. He also doesn't tend to follow the masses when it comes to music, or popular culture in general. S and I share some of the same musical tastes, and we're generally quite culturally compatible with each other, but not so much with the rest of the world.