Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

14 Jan 2010, 12:41 am

Whenever I go out in public, I shut the world out. I ignore everyone and focus on where I am going and I don't notice people. I still see them but I am not fully aware of what is going on around me. I've been told I walk too close to people or cut them off, walk right in font of them, in stores I bang my cart into other carts. My husband told me I am very aggressive, when I want something, I go right for it shutting everything out. It's as if I hyperfocus in crowds. I don't let them bother me, I ignore them.

But I have gotten better with personal space, I don't walk so close behind people unless I am going by them. I stand an arm length away or more.

I always have my husband push the cart when we go grocery shopping. He's pointed out my errors when I be pushing the cart so I'd rather have him do it. He seems to see things I can't see such as knowing where to put the cart as we are shopping.

Tory_canuck
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2010, 12:48 am

When I have a cart, I usually push it on the right side of the aisle and park it there....I treat navigating the stores and malls and such like as if I was driving a car.It works out really well, since most people do that too.

ALBERTAN...and DAMN PROUD OF IT!!

14 Jan 2010, 1:17 am

Tory_canuck wrote:
When I have a cart, I usually push it on the right side of the aisle and park it there....I treat navigating the stores and malls and such like as if I was driving a car.It works out really well, since most people do that too.

I might try that. Maybe it will keep me out of my world.

elderwanda
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2010, 3:01 am

I'm like that. When I go to pick up my kid from school, I have to make my way through a crowd of people. It's the same people who have been there for the past six years, and I suppose it might be weird for me to not be in the middle of them, chatting away, and saying hi to everyone. I rarely say hi to anyone because even when I look at them, no one looks at me. Once in a while I have a day where I feel up to actually looking at people, but not often. Then, when I see my son, my face lights up, because he's sweeter than anyone, and I love him so much. :D

Today I was near my other son's school, which is a middle school (ages 12-14). When I'm around them, I totally tune them out, because I have no clue how to interact with people that age at all. (except my own kid). But today, a girl passed me and said, "Hello, Mrs. ____." It felt weird to be recognized, but I suppose they do recognize me, because most of these kids have seen me around for most of their lives. I think the girl was someone my son went to kindergarten with, but I wasn't sure, so I couldn't say her name.

Oh, but I'm getting off topic. As usual.

dugmaze
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Jan 2010, 3:08 am

I use a cart only if the store is empty. And I hear everyone's conversation even if they aren't talking.
I like Wal Mart at 3:00 AM!

14 Jan 2010, 3:19 am

dugmaze wrote:
And I hear everyone's conversation even if they aren't talking.

That doesn't make any sense.

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2010, 6:20 am

I'm sort of like that; when I go somewhere, I have an objective to accomplish and that's my focus. I don't knock into other shopping carts or anything--I try to be courteous--but I tend to keep to myself, mostly.

It might also explain why I don't think I've ever met anyone else who's Autistic.

To be fair...I don't think I'd be able to pick up that they were Autistic even if I was paying attention.

14 Jan 2010, 12:01 pm

TheDoctor82 wrote:
I'm sort of like that; when I go somewhere, I have an objective to accomplish and that's my focus. I don't knock into other shopping carts or anything--I try to be courteous--but I tend to keep to myself, mostly.

It might also explain why I don't think I've ever met anyone else who's Autistic.

To be fair...I don't think I'd be able to pick up that they were Autistic even if I was paying attention.

If someone bumps into you or bangs their cart into your cart, or walks right in front of you or cuts you off, maybe they are. :wink:

persian85033
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2010, 12:53 pm

I always push the cart whenever I go to the store, mostly because I have to have something to do with my hands so my arms aren't just hanging there. I've gotten pretty good at it, and don't crash into anything anymore. :lol:

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2010, 1:40 pm

People are pretty much obstacles to be navigated around as I move from A to B. I walk very fast, so I try to get out in front of the crowd so that I don't have to work so hard to weave my way through them.

Typical posture for me is head down, looking about 3 m ahead of me so that I can work out the positions for the next two steps.

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2010, 1:57 pm

I focus on what I'm aiming to buy straight to the videogames buy game straight to checkout DONE! I also do as you do Beth I get in peoples way and my older sister has pulled me out of the way countless times I HATE when she does this LOL! I wonder why we do this or what it'd be called since I can't think of any term to describe it.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2010, 2:36 pm

I don't do that.

I do try to avoid known crowded places at peak hours, because I like to get in, do my business, and get out.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

CodeJunkie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Jan 2010, 2:44 pm

I know what you mean. Especially if I am at a mall. I absolutely HATE people offering me things as I walk past trying to sell their product. It's really annoying because if I want their product, I will go to them and ask them for it.

I also walk/push the cart the same as if I was driving. I would like people to have indicators on their carts. Maybe that is just me but it would make things a lot easier for me...

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2010, 2:50 pm

I'm a pro with shopping carts, I squeeze through any space that I see in crowded supermarkets and swerve everywhere like a ninja (or much like a high speed chase through traffic jams).

CodeJunkie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Jan 2010, 2:55 pm

jc6chan wrote:
I'm a pro with shopping carts, I squeeze through any space that I see in crowded supermarkets and swerve everywhere like a ninja (or much like a high speed chase through traffic jams).

They are pretty fun to run along with and glide on!

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2010, 3:46 pm

CodeJunkie wrote:
jc6chan wrote:

They are pretty fun to run along with and glide on!

you glide on them in the parking lot to get a better view of where you parked the car :lol: