Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2010, 2:42 am

Magnus wrote:
Sand wrote:
Greshym_Shorkan wrote:
Vince wrote:
Magnus wrote:
but I still believe that energy never dies.

And somehow energy=person? Energy separates. Once the impulses in your brain no longer have a system in which to form a mind, there is no mind. Just because "energy never dies" doesn't mean that you don't cease to be. "You" is a much more complex concept than "energy". To say that just because energy can't be destroyed, the mind can't be destroyed, is just about as logical as saying that thick paper can't be ruined by a person blowing on it, therefore a house of cards will not fall down if you blow on it.

There's a possibility of another existence entirely that's beyond the 5 senses. I'm sure somebody's gonna try to argue with this though, but I don't care.

Aside from the fact that we have more than 5 senses there are other existent species that have senses outside those in humans. So what? The universe has all sorts of energy forms we do not detect without instruments but it is the same universe we all exist in. Energy itself is neither consciousness nor a sense of self and it continuously transforms from one form to another. This has nothing to do with living consciousness except it is merely one necessary component.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0V6KBzIhu4[/youtube]

http://www.context.org/ICLIB/IC12/Sheldrak.htm

I've seen some of Sheldrake's thinking. I'm not impressed.

Greshym_Shorkan
Toucan
Toucan

22 Jan 2010, 9:46 am

Sand wrote:
Greshym_Shorkan wrote:
Vince wrote:
Magnus wrote:
but I still believe that energy never dies.

And somehow energy=person? Energy separates. Once the impulses in your brain no longer have a system in which to form a mind, there is no mind. Just because "energy never dies" doesn't mean that you don't cease to be. "You" is a much more complex concept than "energy". To say that just because energy can't be destroyed, the mind can't be destroyed, is just about as logical as saying that thick paper can't be ruined by a person blowing on it, therefore a house of cards will not fall down if you blow on it.

There's a possibility of another existence entirely that's beyond the 5 senses. I'm sure somebody's gonna try to argue with this though, but I don't care.

Aside from the fact that we have more than 5 senses there are other existent species that have senses outside those in humans. So what? The universe has all sorts of energy forms we do not detect without instruments but it is the same universe we all exist in. Energy itself is neither consciousness nor a sense of self and it continuously transforms from one form to another. This has nothing to do with living consciousness except it is merely one necessary component.

.....what....?

Greshym_Shorkan
Toucan
Toucan

22 Jan 2010, 9:53 am

masterdieff wrote:
Vince wrote:

Probably one of the best metaphors I've heard in quite some time. It's so perfect I can't even deconstruct how perfect it is.

Greshym_Shorkan wrote:

Two things. First off, yeah, there are other ways of figuring out the universe. The main one you're thinking of is cognition. Unfortunately, you're talking about emotionally-driven cognition, not rationally-driven cognition.

Secondly, saying that there's something 'beyond' the limits of the senses, the limits of intellect, and the limits of human experience, is the same thing as using the word 'faith'; it's just a buzzword that means "well, I've found this string of verbal utterances that counter what you're saying without actually providing a counter-argument, so I'm good on this'. It has absolutely no validity other than to prove other buzzwords, such as 'spiritual' and 'energy'. It's a short-circuit in the logic centers of the brain.

I never said it was a given, just a possibility. Then again, I'm not sure about a thing you said, so for all I know you're seconding my opinion, in which case, thanks!! !

masterdieff
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Jan 2010, 6:37 pm

Greshym_Shorkan wrote:
I never said it was a given, just a possibility.

Don't you see? If you make an observation, then make a prediction based on that observation, in the world of science you're allowed to call people on their bulls**t or prove them right. Example: you notice that when you let go of a ball on planet Earth, it falls to the surface at 9.8 m/s^2. You decide to tell others that this is the case, and that if they drop something, it will fall at the same rate. Others are now able to test it for themselves, to see if your idea is any good. You can't do that with something that is 'supernatural'. This is not an opinion, it is part of the definition of 'supernatural'.

Let me again try to get my point across: you say there is a possibility of something supernatural existing. By thinking this, you accept that there may be things which no other human can understand, but that happen regardless. And that's the problem: in even accepting the possibility that stuff happens that can't be proved by people, you're essentially being a child with fingers in his ears going 'LA LA LA LA LA LA I can't hear you!! !'.

This is also known by such fascinating terms as: ignorance, psychosis, dogma, faith, belief, 'I've-just-got-a-feelin', and 'f**ck you, I'm right'. Whether you go the whole way or just accept the possibility of supernatural phenomena, you're being just as ignorant.

Although, you know what they say: ignorance is bliss.

Not a Christian, just a thinker.

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2010, 7:10 pm

masterdieff wrote:
Greshym_Shorkan wrote:
I never said it was a given, just a possibility.

Don't you see? If you make an observation, then make a prediction based on that observation, in the world of science you're allowed to call people on their bulls**t or prove them right. Example: you notice that when you let go of a ball on planet Earth, it falls to the surface at 9.8 m/s^2. You decide to tell others that this is the case, and that if they drop something, it will fall at the same rate. Others are now able to test it for themselves, to see if your idea is any good. You can't do that with something that is 'supernatural'. This is not an opinion, it is part of the definition of 'supernatural'.

Let me again try to get my point across: you say there is a possibility of something supernatural existing. By thinking this, you accept that there may be things which no other human can understand, but that happen regardless. And that's the problem: in even accepting the possibility that stuff happens that can't be proved by people, you're essentially being a child with fingers in his ears going 'LA LA LA LA LA LA I can't hear you!! !'.

This is also known by such fascinating terms as: ignorance, psychosis, dogma, faith, belief, 'I've-just-got-a-feelin', and 'f**ck you, I'm right'. Whether you go the whole way or just accept the possibility of supernatural phenomena, you're being just as ignorant.

Although, you know what they say: ignorance is bliss.

"Accepting the idea of morphogenetic fields also opens the door to the scientific investigation of the idea that consciousness and mental processes can function without physical support. This would allow the existence of non-physical beings (gods, angels, life after death, etc.) - a subject of prime interest to most religious and spiritual traditions."

-Dr. Rubert Sheldrake
Quote:
In support of his hypothesis, Sheldrake cites replications of William McDougall's experiment with rats in a water maze and Mae-Wan Ho's replication of CH Waddington's experiment with fruit flies, as well as several psychology experiments involving human learning (none of which have been replicated). Sheldrake contends that a number of biological anomalies are resolved by morphic resonance, including personal memory (which he contends would otherwise require the existence of an elaborate information-storage mechanism in the brain), atavism and parallel evolution. He argues that the existence of organizing fields – with or without inherent memory – would explain phenomena ranging from coordinated behavior among social insects, flocks of birds and schools of fish to the regeneration of severed limbs by salamanders or a sense of phantom limbs among amputees, as the organizing field of a limb would remain even after the limb itself had been lost.

-Pythagoras

masterdieff
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Jan 2010, 7:19 pm

Magnus wrote:
"Accepting the idea of morphogenetic fields also opens the door to the scientific investigation of the idea that consciousness and mental processes can function without physical support. This would allow the existence of non-physical beings (gods, angels, life after death, etc.) - a subject of prime interest to most religious and spiritual traditions."

From what (admittedly little) I have read on Sheldrake, he puts forth fantasy couched in the language of science.

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2010, 7:32 pm

He is a graduate from Harvard, so I wouldn't say he is just interested in fanciful, magical thinking. There is a science to the mind. There is also a taboo in studying paranormal activity. That is not a scientific response, it is an emotional one.

-Pythagoras

masterdieff
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Jan 2010, 7:49 pm

Magnus wrote:
He is a graduate from Harvard, so I wouldn't say he is just interested in fanciful, magical thinking. There is a science to the mind. There is also a taboo in studying paranormal activity. That is not a scientific response, it is an emotional one.

True. If he can find scientific ways of explaining the unexplainable, and those ways are replicable by others, I applaud him.

However- I detest the use of the terms 'paranormal' and 'supernatural'. By their very definitions, they mean "outside reality". However strange, a phenomenon is either true or not true- paranormal and supernatural phenomena, by definition, do not exist. Just because it's freaky or currently unexplainable does not mean it's paranormal. I much prefer the vernacular here, as it is more appropriate. So, if you were to say that studying 'weird s**t' is taboo, I'd have to agree with you. And that is unfortunate.

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2010, 10:56 pm

masterdieff wrote:
Magnus wrote:

True. If he can find scientific ways of explaining the unexplainable, and those ways are replicable by others, I applaud him.

However- I detest the use of the terms 'paranormal' and 'supernatural'. By their very definitions, they mean "outside reality". However strange, a phenomenon is either true or not true- paranormal and supernatural phenomena, by definition, do not exist. Just because it's freaky or currently unexplainable does not mean it's paranormal. I much prefer the vernacular here, as it is more appropriate. So, if you were to say that studying 'weird s**t' is taboo, I'd have to agree with you. And that is unfortunate.

I cringe when I have to use words like supernatural and paranormal, but what else should we say? It's all unknown science, if it is real. How about we call it the theory of non-materialism?

-Pythagoras

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2010, 12:27 am

Magnus wrote:
masterdieff wrote:
Magnus wrote:

I cringe when I have to use words like supernatural and paranormal, but what else should we say? It's all unknown science, if it is real. How about we call it the theory of non-materialism?

Immaterial would be a better term.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

23 Jan 2010, 8:37 pm

Magnus wrote:
Heaven is a silly notion, but I still believe that energy never dies.
even better, i also believe this

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2010, 8:45 pm

richardbenson wrote:
Magnus wrote:
Heaven is a silly notion, but I still believe that energy never dies.
even better, i also believe this

Well, that makes two of you. Who could argue with that?

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

23 Jan 2010, 8:52 pm

you? or are you trying to argue? because clearly you think we cant be either right or agree so wich is it?

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2010, 10:27 pm

richardbenson wrote:
you? or are you trying to argue? because clearly you think we cant be either right or agree so wich is it?

Well, since energy alone is not alive, it seems likely it never dies but that's one of those eternal imponderables. Sometimes when I stick a hairpin into an electric socket and get a shock and say ouch, I do believe I hears a small chuckle of satisfaction from the socket but that could be an illusion.

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2010, 10:31 pm

Energy can't be destroyed. People die, but their energy doesn't. It gets recycled.

-Pythagoras

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2010, 10:34 pm

Magnus wrote:
Energy can't be destroyed. People die, but their energy doesn't. It gets recycled.

Exactly. Just like their molecular constituents which turn into bacteria and a few mice and worms. But that's certainly not what people have in mind when they speak of the hereafter.