Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

AS_Interlocking
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Feb 2006, 11:57 pm

Just saw a commercial for MSNBC's "Scarborough Country", which will air at 10 PM Wednesday Night and 2 AM Thursday Morning, Eastern Time, on MSNBC. They will be airing a segment on autism, describing it as "a devastating illness," and are talking about how parents are "having their backs turned on them in their search for a cure" by Washington.

Sounds like it will be a bunch of curebie publicity to me, but I will withhold judgement until it airs.

It's not listed yet on the home page for Scarborough Country, but here's the link to the show's page anyway:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3036789/

Last edited by AS_Interlocking on 02 Mar 2006, 11:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

BeeBee
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2006, 10:45 am

Oh dear.

As you said, better to wait and see what actually airs but...

I've never liked Scarborough Country.

BeeBee

oatwillie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Mar 2006, 11:17 am

I don't normally watch Imus on MSNBC, but it was on this morning and there was some ill-informed senator, spouting off about Autism being a DISEASE. I think he was from PA. to think, he was actually elected....whew!

Sacred Cows make the tastiest hambuger.

visualize whirled peas

Sophist
Professor of Pedantry
Professor of Pedantry

01 Mar 2006, 1:53 pm

NBC is curbie central since the chairman's grandson got dxed with Autism not too long ago. They've made a lot more people aware of Autism, which in part is a good thing I guess, but they showed as much of the bad side of Autism as they possibly could.

The chairman's wife is as nonautistic as they come and to her it seems there is no more horrible word than "Autism". They did a week long focus on Autism last year. I wanted to slap that lady so badly. They gave a great deal of misleading information because they focused so completely on the disability side of it, except for a single segment on an adult Aspie Nobel Prize winner. They've helped add to the mass parental paranoia instead of offering hope and encourgement (other than their hope of the Cure). :?

But most the country has heard of Autism now. :roll:

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

AS_Interlocking
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Mar 2006, 2:55 pm

Sophist wrote:
NBC is curbie central since the chairman's grandson got dxed with Autism not too long ago. They've made a lot more people aware of Autism, which in part is a good thing I guess, but they showed as much of the bad side of Autism as they possibly could.

The chairman's wife is as nonautistic as they come and to her it seems there is no more horrible word than "Autism". They did a week long focus on Autism last year. I wanted to slap that lady so badly. They gave a great deal of misleading information because they focused so completely on the disability side of it, except for a single segment on an adult Aspie Nobel Prize winner. They've helped add to the mass parental paranoia instead of offering hope and encourgement (other than their hope of the Cure). :?

But most the country has heard of Autism now. :roll:

As a Biology major (who is also involved with a hobby that lots of people on the spectrum are involved with, and is thus at least somewhat familiar with aspies) I know said, when I informed her that the "Cure" for autism that is being developed is really a prenatal genetic test/mothers being prompted to abort babies who test positive, "that is NOT a cure, that is a screen!"

It's ironic, because the BEST article I have ever seen regarding awareness of the Dark Side to this "Cure"/screen for autism under development, was an article published on MSNBC's website last summer. I've posted it before but I'll repost it again:

"Would You Allow Bill Gates to be Born?"
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/7899821/from/RL.2/

They refer to it as a "disease" at one point, but other than that they point out how AS/mild ASDs actually are directly responsible for the genius of Bill Gates and many others throughout society, and is MUCH less disabling than the full-blown autism most people think of/have heard about, and that all of these people could very well not be born in the future if genetic research creates a prenatal screen for ASDs.

Scoots5012
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

01 Mar 2006, 3:26 pm

knowing that scarbourogh is a rabid conservative, it wouldn't suprise me if he told these parents to shut up and spank their kids harder.

Although from what I understand, he seems to more liberal on human right issues.

I'll be watching.

AS_Interlocking
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Mar 2006, 5:02 pm

Scoots5012 wrote:
knowing that scarbourogh is a rabid conservative, it wouldn't suprise me if he told these parents to shut up and spank their kids harder.

Although from what I understand, he seems to more liberal on human right issues.

I'll be watching.

I should point out they're talking about autism in general not specifically AS so they're probably referring to LFA, as opposed to the "just spank your kids harder" position some have regarding AS.

My guess--and this is just a guess, is that either a) this show is going to mention some obstacle the "Curebie" movement has and how terrible it is and how parents are not able to get enough money to solve it from the Government, or b) going to "expose" the "establishment" for not believing the parents who think that thermisol-based vaccines are the cause of ASDs.

And from what I've seen, as far as "rabid conservative"s are concerned, Scarborough is not as bad as O'Reilly, and O'Reilly is actually not as slanted as some of the people who are on earlier in the day on FOX News (he used to be, but after he became a figurehead for everyone who hates FOX News, he's calmed down his act a little bit).

Ironic to note that two hours before/after (depending on which showing you see) of Scarborough Country, on MSNBC, is the show "Countdown with Keith Olbermann." There are some rumors circulating through the internet that Olbermann has AS. Does anyone know what this is based on, or if this is actually the case or just speculation?

BeeBee
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2006, 6:10 pm

AS_Interlocking wrote:
My guess--and this is just a guess, is that either a) this show is going to mention some obstacle the "Curebie" movement has and how terrible it is and how parents are not able to get enough money to solve it from the Government, or b) going to "expose" the "establishment" for not believing the parents who think that thermisol-based vaccines are the cause of ASDs

BINGO!

Someone on one of the servlists I belongs to claims she has seen the show. She said its about the difficulties the Shoemaker family faced while on the road to recovery via biomedical treatment.

^^^these are not my words. Don't take displeasure out on the messanger.

BeeBee

AS_Interlocking
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Mar 2006, 2:19 am

I missed the 10 PM airing but was able to watch the 2 AM repeat (which I thought would not air, since the first part of Scarborough was pre-empted by a press conference, but the segment ran at the end of the show, after the interruption of regular programming was finished).

The segment starts with Joe Scarborough stating one of his children is on the spectrum (does not say to what extent), then interviews David Kirby, Author of the book "Evidence of Harm," who claims that the problem is mercury in vaccines and other intake sources (fish contaminated with it, etc.).

Joe asked why "public health officials are trying to cover up the mercury-autism link," and Mr. Kirby's answer was that they are "too invested in the vaccine program." At the end, Joe says that he agreed with the author regarding the link.

Afterwards, Joe advertised www.autismspeaks.org, which he describes as "trying to find a cure."

BeeBee
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2006, 10:02 am

So much for the person on the servlist. :wink: