Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

WhatsTheDeal
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Jan 2010, 9:20 pm

Today I had a friend over to my new apartment. I like my friends but do not enjoy being with them frequently. I am a very private person who enjoys being alone, and most people get on my nerves rather easily. My friends really piss me off on occasion but I am very good at holding back from lashing out at them. However, tonight that wasnt the case. My friend grabbed my Iphone from me without asking me if he could use it, to look something up online. I had personal stuff, emails, texts, etc. On my phone and do not like other people touching it. My friends seem to also have a tendency of sneaking around in my stuff, such as the time I found one of them rummaging around my glove compartment finding persoal stuff I did not want other people to see. So naturally, I dont trust them much to begin with. I told my friend to give me my phone politely and he refused so I ttied to grab it ftom him and he turned so I couldnt get it and started laughing and asking why I was being so ridiculous, when I finally grabbed it and told him I dont like people using my phone and its my right because its my phone, and he stotmed out and left, all offended and angry.

My question is, did i do anything "wrong"??? Or was he just being a real azzhole?

ducky9924
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Jan 2010, 10:53 pm

Both. He was being impolite using your things without asking, and not returning it when prompted. However by NT standards, you overreacted. Then he frankly overreacted to your overreaction.

Welcome to the wonderfull land of mutual assholness.

WhatsTheDeal
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Jan 2010, 11:55 pm

I guess the main thing is that I wouldn't do that to him, and I have seen him react the same exact way when another friend took his phone from him once. I just get angry that I seem to respect people's belongings more than they do mine, and how hypocritical so many people are. "Practice what you preach" is a very relevent saying, as almost everyone is a huge hypocrite all the time.

And thanks for calling me an a-hole! :)

Celtic_Frost
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Jan 2010, 12:51 am

Sounds like your "friend" is a bully.

CowboyFromHell
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2010, 1:14 am

Yes, a bully. None of my friends act like this. One has once claimed he is an as*hole, but he sure as hell isn't.

Just next time don't just go out and say, "Cuz it's my phone." Just nicely say something along the lines of "Hey dude, use it if you want, just ask next time, a'ight? I might have personal details on it and most people like a bit of privacy about certain things." Maybe add in "Mind if I can clear this page/close a certain feature... etc?"

People sometimes like details. Quick and not quite to the point might sound a bit snappy. People I wouldn't have thought so have actually been willing to listen and be accepting. "Oh ok dude, that's cool! Here..."

Shiznown
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Jan 2010, 7:43 pm

nope, you didn't over react at all. Hell, some people would have knocked your friend out, for doing something that stupid. Over reacting would be blowing his head off with a shotgun.