Page 3 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2010, 11:49 pm

Many Haitians will have mental issues but a few Haitians will emerge stronger and lead te country to greater heights (if there are any).

Haitians will be able to create new opportunities if they are strong-willed enough, which they will.

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2010, 9:41 pm

ruennsheng wrote:
PunkyKat wrote:
If people stayed out of my way and let me be, I would be fine.

Of course, you're strong to survive yourself. Look at where you live, man! :)

it's a big, empty landscape... That only the fittest survive.

I don't live there really, I just wish.

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2010, 2:11 am

My lack of involvement does me well, small scale I give first aid, when Katrina hit I was one of the last out, and it was bumper to bumper for eighty miles. I was days gone and safe when the city flooded, and was locked out for six weeks.

It did cause me to get my survival kit together.

Haiti is the worst, no warning, the world ended in a minute. Dead and wounded everywhere, nothing to do but comfort the living and the dying.

Most of the wounded will die in a few days. If it was LA, most would die in a few days. There is no way to treat 250,000. The rest are in shock, and they will stay in familier places. Moving takes water, so if they marched off down the road or beach, they would be dying of thirst in a day or two, where just sitting they will last a week without water.

I would be a head looter from day one. Treat the lightly wounded, and put together an armed band for looting. It will get worse, the strong survive. Leave the weak to care for the wounded, take the strong out for supplies.

A little medical care, clean and bandage minor wounds, a little food and water, and a week later when others are dying, you will be strong in the second week when help might come. Rest, shade, shelter, recover. If no help is coming, you must find water. Boil it.

Humans can survive months with water, and cover ten miles a day or more. Move in the gullies, no one lives there, don't be seen, don't make noise. Don't get tired, move, rest, move at dawn and late in the day. Conserve energy, water, food. Keep moving, distance from the disaster is best.

In Haiti, digging out the dead, or the wounded, taking them to the hospital, most died. Field hospitals could have come quicker, but they would be filled with people who would die anyway. A week later they are gone, and the injured who survive might live with treatment. There are still a quarter million who need medical care. Maybe half of them will die. Using resources on them only slows their dying, and takes from those who might survive.

Of the three million made homeless, perhaps a million will die. All effort has to go to the survivors. If they go into the countryside, famine will spread. Over 4,000 were in prison, and the police are just shooting them now. They will not be coming into the camps and giving their name. No other city wants them. Port Au Prince is known for gangs.

Altogether it would be the same in Southern California, only they have more people and guns. The big quake is coming. The same for New Madrid.

Ask not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for the.

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2010, 2:14 am

PunkyKat wrote:
ruennsheng wrote:
PunkyKat wrote:
If people stayed out of my way and let me be, I would be fine.

Of course, you're strong to survive yourself. Look at where you live, man! :)

it's a big, empty landscape... That only the fittest survive.

I don't live there really, I just wish.

Lol, hope the bell tolls for all of us. :(

Last edited by ruennsheng on 20 Jan 2010, 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stinkypuppy
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2010, 3:08 am

ruennsheng wrote:
Lol, hope the bell tolls for all of us. :)

Err, you do realize that when "the bell tolls for you", it means that you're dead, right?

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2010, 3:27 am

Yes, this is sarcasm at my worst. :(

But nevertheless, I hope we can still live strong in life!

Thank you.

persian85033
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2010, 12:50 pm

I wouldn't fight with others. Mostly I'd be upset that I can't get on line, and because I would probably be uncomfortable. I'd just want things the way they were.

Avarice
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2010, 4:41 pm

One of the best things about where I live is that there are never any disasters. However, if there ever was one, it would be even worse because nobody expected it.

I would probably make my way into the countryside, I live very close to there anyway, the people in the city would be in the real trouble. I would gather food and water, and sleeping supplies and make my way to somewhere unlikely to be discovered by looters and gangs. A river near one of my relatives houses would do nicely, my family has been around that area for a long time. I would also have to take seeds to grow plants. I love growing plants... At any rate, if I were there I would have food, water and shelter. All I would need to do is wait until things have calmed down.

I would be in horrible shock though, my fish would probably be killed in the earth quake and if he wasn't, I would have to figure out how to keep the fish alive. My dog would probably survive though...

And my book collection...

Damn... this would be horrible.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2010, 4:45 pm

I survived the election of 2008.

ruveyn

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2010, 12:01 am

ruveyn wrote:
I survived the election of 2008.

ruveyn

Why was it a disaster, may I ask? I am just curious...

UrchinStar47
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Jan 2010, 5:47 am

Interesting question. I was considering my preparedness, not good at the moment, especially in the field of equipment and supplies. Mentally, a lot better.

A couple of days ago I saw some interesting videos on the subject of an urban survival kit (it's a3 part sequence):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVkntkChnnM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOC901gcLng
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeNVsc3vvi4

Note, level of details is exceptional, and opinions somewhat extreme. In other words - excellent!

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2010, 8:58 am

Preparedness... only comes with experience and mentality.

UrchinStar47
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Jan 2010, 9:44 am

ruennsheng wrote:

Material support helps to put those two in use.

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2010, 9:52 am

UrchinStar47 wrote:
ruennsheng wrote:

Material support helps to put those two in use.

Haiti may not have them, but for the time being, Singapore (where I live) does have material support.

kc8ufv
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2010, 8:53 am

Avarice wrote:
One of the best things about where I live is that there are never any disasters. However, if there ever was one, it would be even worse because nobody expected it.

I would probably make my way into the countryside, I live very close to there anyway, the people in the city would be in the real trouble. I would gather food and water, and sleeping supplies and make my way to somewhere unlikely to be discovered by looters and gangs. A river near one of my relatives houses would do nicely, my family has been around that area for a long time. I would also have to take seeds to grow plants. I love growing plants... At any rate, if I were there I would have food, water and shelter. All I would need to do is wait until things have calmed down.

Every part of the world has disasters. What types of disasters your area is prone to may vary, however. You mentioned your aunt's house near a river. All rivers flood from time to time, and there are many problems floods cause downstream because of the extra contaminents. Earthquakes and droughts happen everywhere, too. Haiti is not generally considered to have much Earthquake risk, but look at what happened there. There are also many other forms of disasters. Your government probably has plans you aren't even aware of for the disasters your area is prone to.

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2010, 9:55 pm

In short, resilience is the only way out.