Page 3 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2010, 9:52 am

UrchinStar47 wrote:
ruennsheng wrote:
Preparedness... only comes with experience and mentality.

Material support helps to put those two in use.

Haiti may not have them, but for the time being, Singapore (where I live) does have material support.

kc8ufv
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2010, 8:53 am

Avarice wrote:
One of the best things about where I live is that there are never any disasters. However, if there ever was one, it would be even worse because nobody expected it.

I would probably make my way into the countryside, I live very close to there anyway, the people in the city would be in the real trouble. I would gather food and water, and sleeping supplies and make my way to somewhere unlikely to be discovered by looters and gangs. A river near one of my relatives houses would do nicely, my family has been around that area for a long time. I would also have to take seeds to grow plants. I love growing plants... At any rate, if I were there I would have food, water and shelter. All I would need to do is wait until things have calmed down.

Every part of the world has disasters. What types of disasters your area is prone to may vary, however. You mentioned your aunt's house near a river. All rivers flood from time to time, and there are many problems floods cause downstream because of the extra contaminents. Earthquakes and droughts happen everywhere, too. Haiti is not generally considered to have much Earthquake risk, but look at what happened there. There are also many other forms of disasters. Your government probably has plans you aren't even aware of for the disasters your area is prone to.

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2010, 9:55 pm

In short, resilience is the only way out.