Page 1 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2010, 7:01 pm

to o.p.

so you claim. I find dogs are not lovable at all. They are mostly stupid. Ditto for horses and cows. I find whales and dolphin more admirable.

ruveyn

TheOddGoat
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2010, 7:49 pm

ruveyn wrote:
to o.p.

so you claim. I find dogs are not lovable at all. They are mostly stupid. Ditto for horses and cows. I find whales and dolphin more admirable.

ruveyn

I think it is true that dogs are the only animal besides humans that understand that when you point somewhere you aren't just showing them your finger.

Whale and dolphin do taste better though.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2010, 8:09 pm

Although whales are definitely intellectual, when I go walking in the woods with my pet whale it has a hard time keeping up and my pet food bill is rather out of hand.

Lecks
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2010, 9:17 pm

TheOddGoat wrote:

I think it is true that dogs are the only animal besides humans that understand that when you point somewhere you aren't just showing them your finger.

Whale and dolphin do taste better though.

My dog certainly doesn't grasp that concept.

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2010, 10:53 pm

I read that dogs have a theory of mind. One example that demonstrates this is contagious yawning.

-Pythagoras

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2010, 12:35 am

I always am jealous of dogs because they can pee on lamp posts and trees and defecate publicly in the street when the need demands it and I am not so privileged.

lotusblossom
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2010, 5:41 am

i think people like animals better, as our ingraind competition between each other inhibits us in seeing people as beautiful. I think things such as 'in group/out group' behaviour is so strong in people because it is an inherant thing, all the studies done on over comeing prejudice show is is nearly impossble. So I think when we see people it presses our prejudice buttons and so we are prevented from seeing the true beauty of them which we would easily be able to appreciate when watching a wolf run or a bird flying.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2010, 10:03 am

lotusblossom wrote:
i think people like animals better, as our ingraind competition between each other inhibits us in seeing people as beautiful. I think things such as 'in group/out group' behaviour is so strong in people because it is an inherant thing, all the studies done on over comeing prejudice show is is nearly impossble. So I think when we see people it presses our prejudice buttons and so we are prevented from seeing the true beauty of them which we would easily be able to appreciate when watching a wolf run or a bird flying.

I'm inclined to think that we do have an aesthetic sense for humanity - I'd think of it as crushing on someone a bit - though agreeable that we don't readily show it to someone in our peer group or within an age range where they have it in them to get lippy with us or be apt to take it the wrong way. Also, a lot of the way women and guys dress up - while part of it is secondary sexuality, a lot of the bend on it is driven by ones own desire to express themselves, in the case of an introvert maybe wear their innerworld as much as they can on the outside as art - in a sense we seem to create quite a bit of art and many times can appreciate that as well in the next person.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2010, 8:41 pm

Why is it so easy to love animals and not love humans? Humans are extraordinary animals.

Because animals, such as dogs, cats, birds,
need human companionship. It has been
this way for eons.

However, animals that are processed
for food have feelings and minds,
and writing/thinking about this
makes me sad. For example, no animal
would naturally drink the milk
of another animal beyond weaning age
and no animal would naturally
eat the flesh of another animal
with high cholestrol content.

GO ASPIE VEGETARIANS/VEGANS! You guys rock!

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2010, 8:55 pm

There sure are a lot of aspie vegetarians. I used to be vegan but now I'm just vegetarian. Someday I'll be hardcore straight edge again.

-Pythagoras

Meadow
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2010, 9:06 pm

Some animals are very loving and affectionate and have been known to rescue and save other animals and even humans on occasion, and likewise show more compassion and empathy than many humans. Humans on the other hand are thoughtless, self-absorbed and cruel. I think that makes them smarter and more sensitive than humans, in their own way, and makes them the better companion.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2010, 9:34 pm

I don't think anyone (no, not even crazy vegan people) love all animals. There are just animals that make an outstanding effort to make you hate them. Ie: The mosquito and the human. Mosquitos are so darn annoying and think they can suck out all your blood while at the same time they transmit diseases on you, and humans are also darn annoying and think they can suck out all your... hmnn, what a coincidence.

Oh and for every animal you don't eat, I am gonna eat two.

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2010, 10:35 pm

Yeah, I don't like mosquitoes. I don't mind killing them. Why the hostility toward vegans tho?
You'll just get fat and constipated if you eat too much meat. It's not hurting me, just yourself.

-Pythagoras

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2010, 9:16 am

Magnus wrote:
Why is it so easy to love animals and not love humans? Humans are extraordinary animals.

Because, animals are usually more forgiving of grievances and otherwise easier to maintain friendship with.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2010, 9:22 am

TheOddGoat wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
to o.p.

ruveyn

You forgot cats.

The only reason why they don't do tricks is because they're above all that.

They don't see themselves as performing monkeys unlike humans and dogs.

Lecks
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2010, 1:27 pm

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:

Because animals, such as dogs, cats, birds,
need human companionship. It has been
this way for eons.

However, animals that are processed
for food have feelings and minds,
and writing/thinking about this
makes me sad. For example, no animal
would naturally drink the milk
of another animal beyond weaning age
and no animal would naturally
eat the flesh of another animal
with high cholestrol content.

GO ASPIE VEGETARIANS/VEGANS! You guys rock!

Because it was bred into them, by humans. Animals aren't naturally dependant on humans for survival or any projected emotional need (ie: companionship, love, etc.). The only reason pets exhibit this dependance is because they've been raised/bred to do so.

The existence of packs of wild domesticated dogs is proof of that.