Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

PlatedDrake
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2010, 11:00 pm

Lately, Ive begun to notice little things that are so annoying to me (likely due to AS) that just make me laugh. This isnt really about something you did, but something that just happens.

I recently found it funny that when I was talking to my brother at a Subway, he was filling his cup at the same time . . . but for some reason, I could not focus on what he was saying because he was filling up at the same time. So, i said, ". . . will you stop and either talk to me OR fill your cup." Next thing i know, he shifts talking and filling his cup, staggering between the two . . . felt kinda like being hit on that odd spot on your elbow that is both painful and tickling at the same time. For some reason, it was making me crazy, but it was funny to the both of us.

Apera
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2010, 5:56 am

I'd guess that balancing the cup and monitoring it's fill level uses enough brain-power to hinder speech. Probably just uses one of the same regions. Sort of like how making had motions helps people remember things. There was an experiment where people had their arms strapped down and consequently had memory difficulties. I wonder how deaf individuals who use sign language on a regular basis incorporate that fluke.

I remember watching Neil DeGrasse Tyson last night on TV. He said that optical illusions should really be called "brain defects" because that's what they really are. OIs are not marketed as such because people would be inclined to feel discouraged by failures, or some such thing.

But they do not have me