Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

ljbouchard
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2006, 1:11 pm

Scots5112 has brought up this idea before but I think now is the perfect time to get things set up for this summer.

I think quite a few people agreed that Madison WI would be a good place for the get together. It will be quiet in the summer because most of the college students will have returned home. What we need to decide on now is a date and what to do.

My guess is that the best time would be a weekend at the end of June, July or Early August. I would rule out Independence Day weekend at this point. I also have to rule out the last Saturday in July due to a family reunion in Parkers Prairie Minnesota.

It also may be a good idea to set up carpools and carpool points. Some people like me who drives a minivan can get 7 people in the vehicle comfortably. That will save a little on expenses.

Let plan this event so that we can get it off the ground this year.

"Only when all those who surround you are different, do you truly belong."
---------------------------------------------------
Fred Tate Little Man Tate

Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Mar 2006, 4:20 pm

Hopefully I'll have my drivers licence by then. Madison is the first place I want to drive once that happens.

Otherwise its likely a no show for me unless I could figure something else out.

jman
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2006, 4:31 pm

I would love to meet up with you but unfortunately madison is quite a drive for me however if another member were to go with me it might not be bad.

Endersdragon
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2006, 4:53 pm

Nah Iowas a great place to come so we can get some people from like Missouri there :-D plus I cant travel very far.

Vote for me in 2020 :-D

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2006, 5:19 pm

Just a suggestion here.

We can set up a shuttle from the Columbus train station. It's about 40 miles away from Madison. Amtrak's Empire Builder train stops there (in mid- to late afternoon, I think), so maybe we can have someone waiting outside the station on the day of the get-together. That person can pick up everybody from the train, and drive them to Madison.

colonel1fan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Mar 2006, 5:30 pm

We'll see. If I stay in Kentucky and get a job on campus and stay in the dorms, i might not be able to do it. But if that doesn't work, I would certainly love to come. I'm only 1 1/2 away when I am back in Wisconsin. I'm going to Ireland sometime, I think at the end of june. I'll have to check with my mom on that. But other than that, I hope I can get out to Madison.

Ghosthunter
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2006, 6:25 pm

bouchard wrote:
ljbouchard
Phoenix
Phoenix

New postPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:11 am Post subject: Great WP Upper Midwest Get Together Reply with quote
Scots5112 has brought up this idea before but I think now is the perfect time to get things set up for this summer.

I think quite a few people agreed that Madison WI would be a good place for the get together. It will be quiet in the summer because most of the college students will have returned home. What we need to decide on now is a date and what to do.

My guess is that the best time would be a weekend at the end of June, July or Early August. I would rule out Independence Day weekend at this point. I also have to rule out the last Saturday in July due to a family reunion in Parkers Prairie Minnesota.

It also may be a good idea to set up carpools and carpool points. Some people like me who drives a minivan can get 7 people in the vehicle comfortably. That will save a little on expenses.

Let plan this event so that we can get it off the ground this year.

Does Minnesota apply, since you are 1 hour from BeeBee'S?

Who else would apply to this region??????

Sooooo mannnnyyyy newby's

Sincerely,
Ghosthunter

ljbouchard
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2006, 7:16 pm

GH - Yes Minnesota is part of the upper midwest. Maybe we can convice BeeBee to bring you down to Rochester or someone else from the Twin Cities area can carpool with you.

Either Madison or the Twin Cities is the logical choice because they are about the center of the Upper Midwest area. As far as people from Milwaukee, maybe they can set up a carpool with say someone from Chicago.

The train station is a good idea but then the persons would need hotel rooms and a way back to the train in the morning.

"Only when all those who surround you are different, do you truly belong."
---------------------------------------------------
Fred Tate Little Man Tate

TheBladeRoden
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2006, 7:20 pm

I vote for Madison

Wisguy
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2006, 2:39 pm

Madison would be fine with me, too, as I often find myself wandering aimlessly on the highways of the upper midwest, checking out this and that and any changes, etc, and Madison is within my 'spur of the moment' range.

Amtrak's station at Columbus is much closer than was mentioned in another post, well under 40 *km*, closer to 30. Yes, the westbound Empire Builder (train 7) stops there in the late afternoon (approx 1630), but it is an all-reserved train and it often sells out months in advance in summer. Its eastbound counterpart (train 8 ) calls at Columbus in the late morning (about 1130 or so, IIRC). See http://www.amtrak.com for more info.

Mike