Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Mar 2006, 2:44 pm

when i first started college it was my main goal to get nothing below an A
and for the first 2-3 years i did
then i changed schools
and blah blah blah
now i cant seem to finish because i have zero interest in my classes
i know i could do really good, and i want to want to (i meant to write that twice)
but i just dont care about it anymore
i've been a senior for some time now, haha

my main problem these days is that i'm not doing any work, HW or studying
i've never seen such low test score in my life than i have this semester, it's insane

anybody know the best way to get back interest? i'm so pissed off at myself and as much as i want to study something just wont let me

i also am petrified of speaking in front of a class i did a presentation last year but chose not to show for it and took the 10% grade loss because i'd rather less grade

i think i proved to myself early on i could do very well, now i'm not so interested anymore
what the F-bombs

society is so fake it's ridiculous

i just want enough money so i can do nothing all day

i dont know what i'm talking about anymore :?

dexkaden
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2006, 6:56 pm

SqrachMasda wrote:
then i changed schools
and blah blah blah
i know i could do really good, and i want to want to (i meant to write that twice)

i've never seen such low test score in my life than i have this semester, it's insane

anybody know the best way to get back interest? i'm so off at myself and as much as i want to study something just wont let me

i also am petrified of speaking in front of a class i did a presentation last year but chose not to show for it and took the 10% grade loss because i'd rather less grade

i think i proved to myself early on i could do very well, now i'm not so interested anymore
what the F-bombs

Well, what else is going on? Why did you suddenly just stop caring? As far as the presentation thiing goes, I hear you on that one---I just dropped a class for the same reason, only it goes on my transcript as F(W), or F(Withdrawn). I don't even care.

But the sudden just not caring...that's different. It happens to me every so often. I first noticed in 7th grade when I just absolutely quit doing anything related to school because I was just so stressed and depressed and I didn't know it. And then in 11th grade when I was dragged 2000 miles away from where I grew up. And then in college. I don't know what will get you back interested in classes---maybe taking a break before you destroy your GPA?

I don't know. Maybe I am different, but it seems that there is always some hidden issue I need to address before life perks up again. And until I do address it, my grades could go to hell and I wouldn't care---I didn't care, actually, until I tried to transfer schools and couldn't because my GPA was too low. Actually, the last time I didn't care, I finally got the answer I was looking for my entire life...I got diagnosed by my college psychiatrist, so it all ended well.

Usually, though, when i tell myself I don't care, it's usually because I am afraid of something, like failing (which is ironic because I fail anyway, but I tell myself if it's different because I'm in control of the failure...yeah, I'm nuts.) I know I can do well at anything I set my mind to, and I know that I really want to, but there is this invisible hand a lot of times that pulls me back, or this insidious voice that talks me into not doing it for various reasons.

Sometimes, I've just told myself to do it no matter what, to just sit there, dammit, and do it. Sometimes that works. Sometimes it doesn't. But until you figure it out, I'd see about withdrawing before you destroy your GPA, or something.

jman
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2006, 9:43 pm

SqrachMasda wrote:
then i changed schools
and blah blah blah

anybody know the best way to get back interest? i'm so pissed off at myself and as much as i want to study something just wont let me

what the F-bombs

Hmm it sounds like you may going through a depression, see a counselor perhaps?

dexkaden
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2006, 10:08 pm

jman wrote:
Hmm it sounds like you may going through a depression, see a counselor perhaps?

You say so succinctly what I spend hours trying to explain.

That's what I was trying to say, except I just added a whole bunch of stuff that probably didn't make sense. I would talk to someone, or write down things that you've noticed have changed and then go talk to someone. Most schools offer discounted mental health services--mine did, thank God! You might check that out.

pink
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Mar 2006, 6:50 am

Hi
Don't know if this will help but try the counseling service at your college. If you are working maybe they have an employee assistance program. They would help you short term. Are you taking medication for your AS? Sometimes medications that have worked in the past need tweaking. Have you found your usual social contacts diminishing? That could cause depression which would lead to some of the feelings you expressed. Maybe you just need a break. Good luck whatever you do.