favorite non-fiction book you have read recently?

Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2010, 9:07 pm

richie wrote:
/wiki/A_New_Kind_of_Science]A New Kind of Science[/url] by Stephen Wolfram

I like your selection except for A New Kind of Science. Physics based purely on discrete structures such as cellular automata won't work. The math is intractable and continuous and compact approximations will be resorted to.

ruveyn

multiSNP
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Jan 2010, 10:18 pm

I'm surprised 'The Selfish Gene' hasn't been mentioned - also by Richard Dawkins. I think there would be a lot less unhappiness in the world if more people understood and accepted the evolutionary origins of life and how it works.

'The mind of god' by Paul Davies was a good one.

'A brief history of time' by Stephen Hawking (Similar to above book).

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2010, 8:51 pm

Science books (are there any other kind?) topic

Right Hand, Left Hand by Chris McManus

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Jan 2010, 4:09 pm

A few days ago I finished

Perfect Rigor

by

Masha Gessen

It's a biography of Grigory Perelman, the mathematician who in 2002 uploaded a (correct) proof of the Poincare hypothesis. (Actually the geometrization conjecture of Thurstan as well.)

The biography puts forward the hypothesis that Perelman has Aspergers (due to puzzling behavior, such as turning down the Field's medal for his work, academic positions, as well as the million dollar Clay prize that was offered for the solution.) Actually, she documents much more about him consistent with an Aspie diagnosis. Overall the book is an excellent history of mathematical culture during Soviet times.

The book is non-technical and is, I believe, a good read for anyone.

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

24 Jan 2010, 12:20 pm

The Elements: A Visual Exploration of Every Known Atom in the Universe by Theodore Gray

You just have to love a book that begins with this line:

Quote:
"The Periodic Table," says author Theodore Gray, "is the universal catalog of everything
you can drop on your foot."

Quote:
Editorial Reviews
Product Description
An eye-opening, original collection of gorgeous, never-before-seen photographic representations of the 118 elements in the periodic table.

The elements are what we, and everything around us, are made of. But how many elements has anyone actually seen in pure, uncombined form? The Elements provides this rare opportunity. Based on five years of research and photography, the pictures in this book make up the most complete, and visually arresting, representation available to the naked eye of every atom in the universe. Organized in order of appearance on the periodic table, each element is represented by a spread that includes a stunning, full-page, full-color photograph that most closely represents it in its purest form. For example, at -183˚C, oxygen turns from a colorless gas to a beautiful pale blue liquid.

Also included are fascinating facts, figures, and stories of the elements as well as data on the properties of each, including atomic weight, density, melting and boiling point, valence, electronegativity, and the year and location in which it was discovered. Several additional photographs show each element in slightly altered forms or as used in various practical ways. The element's position on the periodic table is pinpointed on a mini rendering of the table and an illustrated scale of the element's boiling and/or melting points appears on each page along with a density scale that runs along the bottom.

Packed with interesting information, this combination of solid science and stunning artistic photographs is the perfect gift book for every sentient creature in the universe.

About the Author
Theodore Gray is the author of Popular Science magazine's “Gray Matter” column, the proprietor of periodictable.com and the creator of the iconic photographic periodic table poster seen in universities, schools, museums and TV shows from “MythBusters” to “Hannah Montana”. In his other life he is cofounder of the major software company Wolfram Research, creators of the world's leading technical software system, Mathematica™. He lives in Champaign-Urbana, Illinois.

Also in my collection:
Theo Gray's Mad Science: Experiments You Can Do At Home - But Probably Shouldn't by Theodore Gray

Quote:
Editorial Reviews
Review

“This is a fabulous book, and a real education, too – a beautiful introduction to hands-on chemistry. Theo Gray brings us dozens of experiments in minute, clear, and loving detail, and each one becomes a door onto the marvels of how chemicals react. Whether he is showing us how to make table salt from its violent elements, or, in a quieter vein, to make one’s own nylon thread or “lead” pencils, Gray’s encyclopedic knowledge and contagious enthusiasm transport us to deep intellectual realms, while never sacrificing a sense of wonder and, above all, fun.”

—Oliver Sacks, author of Awakenings, Musicophillia, Uncle Tungsten, and many others
(Oliver Sacks )

“I've spent 22 years working with Theo Gray on creating software, seeing him find simple ways to do the seemingly impossible. You're in for a treat here when he applies the same creativity and insight to revealing the science of everyday things.”
—Stephen Wolfram, creator of Mathematica® and author of A New Kind of Science

(Stephen Wolfram )

“What a magnificent book. It's gorgeous, playful, and draws you in. Every single photo shows not only a deep love of science in the abstract, but also a tinkerer's love of the STUFF of science; the tools and glass, the clay and metal, and all the things that make science accessible to everyone.”

—Adam Savage, star of MythBusters
(Adam Savage )

What good is this Nobel Prize around my neck if it doesn’t produce admiration for science writers such as Theo Gray, whose skillful work helps convert young students into serious researchers.”

—Leon Lederman, winner of the 1988 Nobel Prize in Physics
(Leon Lederman )

“Theo's MAD SCIENCE is destined to inspire and spark the imaginations of the next generation of makers, tinkerers, engineers and mad scientists!”

—Phillip Torrone, Senior Editor of Make magazine
(Phillip Torrone )

“Theodore Gray has attained a level of near superhuman geekery that the rest of us can only mutely admire.”

—Cecil Adams, The Straight Dope
(Cecil Adams )

alana
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2010, 3:49 pm

both of the above sound awesome, I actually started to tingle a bit reading about the atoms one, lol. :)

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2010, 5:33 pm

richie wrote:

Awesome. I must get it!

DilbertIRL
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Jan 2010, 7:25 pm

The Greatest Show On Earth
by Richard Dawkins

(seems there are a few Dawkins readers on this thread :salut: )

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2010, 7:44 pm

-Why E = mc2- by Brian Cox and Jeff Forshaw.

ruveyn

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2010, 8:59 am

Not a fiction topic

Cholera, the biography, by Christopher Hamlin

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2010, 11:30 am

-Lectures on the Hyperreals- by Goldblatt.

ruveyn

carturo222
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2010, 1:22 am

From Socrates to Sartre: the Philosophical Quest, by T. Z. Lavine.

wesmontfan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Feb 2010, 5:57 pm

"Collapse" by Richard Jared.

Havent read the whole thing-its thick. But you can skip around it.
He talks about why societies collaspse- from the ancient maya, and Easter Island to the recent Genocide in Rawanda ,and the reasons why Haili is so much poorer than the Dominican Republic ( which are located on the same island), both ancient and modern examples.

Another is "As Seen on TV" (forgot the author's name)- a hilarious picture book about the infomercial world of Chia Pets, girls gone crazy videos, get rich quick schemes, K-Tel Records, and the career of Ron Popeil (of pocket fisherman fame).

QuantumCowboy
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2010, 12:17 am

In terms of books with a wider appeal:

- The God Particle
- Fermat's Last Theorum

These books both follow a similar format of identifying a specific topic that has been of interest for centuries, and then following its progress through history. These are books that an educated layperson could read without difficulty.

In terms of my favourite non-fiction books read recently:

- Quantum Cellular Automata: Theory Experimentation and Prospects
- Optoelectronics and Photonics: Principles And Practices

These books are a little more technical. :roll:

skysaw
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2010, 9:11 am

In descending order of difficulty (perhaps)

Godel's Theorem by Newman & Nagel
The Fabric of Reality by David Deutsch
The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins
The Big Bang by Simon Singh