your technique for getting on with work

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

blastoff
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Jan 2010, 12:08 am

Uh yeah, have him take the meds. I know you said you sometimes forget. Don't. Figure out some method so that you actually remember every day. Establish a routine, whether it's using a pillbox or putting the meds right by the toothbrush. Find a solution and use it.

AuntyCC
Raven
Raven

21 Jan 2010, 5:25 am

Schleppenheimer, how do you get things done? I mean, what goes through your mind? Have you got a little "now and next" screen in your head? What prompts you to look at the clock?

I honestly think they only thing that is effective for me is to have someone else nudge me. If it was my child, I would chivvy them through the work. I know that sounds like you aren't giving them the skills to help themself, but it does mean they complete the learning assignment. My aunt once did do that for me, to get me through my 0-level exams. I keep trying to do that for myself, and its useful to remember how she did it and her voice in my head.

In future life, there are many jobs where you do always have people chivvying you. For instance I worked as a data analyst at a computer factory, where people ran up to me all day saying "Where are these widgets?" "What can we build now, the lines are going to stop in ten minutes!" My need for nudges was an asset.

HTH

schleppenheimer
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2010, 1:45 pm

AuntyCC, it was really helpful to hear that you have had jobs where they actually do "nudge" you. I guess I need to remember that. Parents generally have this horrible feeling that if you don't actually "teach" your child to be self-motivated when doing schoolwork, or regular work for that matter, that they will never be able to survive college or real life when you aren't there to push them or motivate them. I suppose that isn't really true, which is kind of liberating.

blastoff, the only time that I "forget" to give my son his meds is on weekends, and often it's a planned forgetfullness, just to see if we can test whether he really needs them. On school days, and other situations where he definitely needs them, I never forget. I actually don't think he would forget to give them to himself (I'm kind to start working on this now). You're right, though -- he obviously needs them and we need to have him take the meds even on weekends when he's just doing homework.

Francis -- your work sounds like the kind of stuff my son would love to play with all day. At least I think he would. But Electrical Engineering is a difficult thing to study in college. Did you find keeping up with your college classes difficult?

blastoff
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Jan 2010, 10:58 pm

It's possible he needs his meds even *more* on weekends than on school days. I know that sounds nuts, but think about it: on school days there's at least some semblance of structure and defined expectations, and on weekends things are probably generally less structured and he can't get a good sense of what's coming next.

I've never been a great fan of the "Vitamin R Weekend Vacation." I know it doesn't work for me.

schleppenheimer
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2010, 11:33 pm

blastoff, you have me convinced. We have not been in the habit of giving our son his meds on the weekend, but I can see where it is needed. For instance, we were watching a movie with him this evening (Bourne Identity -- really exciting) and he was totally motivated to watch it, but couldn't totally focus on it. We are going to try doing this with the next movie in the series, next weekend, WITH meds, and see if he manages focus any better.

ursaminor
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2010, 3:24 pm

dupertuis wrote:
What follows is the second of a mysterious double post.

I see no option to DELETE.

dp
I think there's a little x in the upper right corner. I will double-post to test this. It worked.

I will now also delete this post.