Is there extreme prejudice toward left-brainers today?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

timeisdead
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2010, 10:02 pm

It seems like everyone is looking at left-brainers as useless and obsolete simply because management can be greedy and outsource our jobs. Our classrooms are also doing left-brainers a disservice. Read raising a left-brain child in a right-brain world. If you're not the "touchy feely" type who loves office politics and obsesses over subtle nuances in body language, you're screwed.

http://www.shambhala.com/html/catalog/i ... -650-5.cfm

Note: I am using the term "left-brained" in a colloqual sense.

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2010, 10:16 pm

What, really? I was under the impression that most people WERE left-brained. I thought right-brained people were very creative types, artists.

TheMysteriousOne
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Jan 2010, 10:20 pm

That's because no matter how humans try to perceive themselves as intelligent (shown by how we call ourselves Homo SAPIENS SAPIENS --to distinguish from our Cro-Magnon ancestors-- meaning thinking man) the average human really does not possess an astounding intellect, especially not one worthy of the title "sapien". Higher thought is in the capacity of the higher brain (the neo-cortex IIRC) as are traits such as proper behavior. The average human is ruled by the lower brain. Coincidentally, the lower brain is responsible for emotive, do-or-die, fight-or-flight type behavior, libido, and pretty much any other "inferior" (quoted for subjectivity) behavior.
Those affiliated with psychology, and those in the advertisement industry know this. This is why they target sexuality, and make appeals to emotion as they are more effective than appeals to logic.

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2010, 10:21 pm

I must be right brained...

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/

timeisdead
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2010, 10:26 pm

buryuntime wrote:
What, really? I was under the impression that most people WERE left-brained. I thought right-brained people were very creative types, artists.

Here's what I mean by left-brained

http://xantippesblog.blogspot.com/2009/ ... brain.html

"But I don't intend this term literally; that is, I don't wish to imply anything about the activity of brain hemispheres. Rather, I'm using the term left-brain in the everyday sense, to convey a specific collection of traits that involve thinking abstractly and logically; analyzing and systematizing; processing things linearly (one at a time); attending much more to verbal than to nonverbal communication; preferring to work independently; and being shy, socially awkward, and/or introverted"

TheMysteriousOne
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Jan 2010, 10:27 pm

buryuntime wrote:

The OP said in the colloquial sense, meaning one who is more logic-based. I dislike this pop-psychology nonsense because it tends to be false and hard to get rid of like many pop myths. The brain is not as sectionalized as the left/right brained theory leaves us to believe. I am no neurologist, but if the hemispheres were as polarized as we are led to believe, what purpose would we have for a corpus callosum (left/right hemi-linker)? Why is it that some people who have one hemisphere of the brain removed can often use the other side of the brain for the same tasks while not losing too much proficiency?
Women said to be right-brained actually are more efficient at being able to communicate between both hemispheres and have a more developed corpus callosum.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2010, 10:33 pm

timeisdead wrote:
If you're not the "touchy feely" type who loves office politics and obsesses over subtle nuances in body language, you're screwed.

I see that more among women than among men. For myself, the inter-personal dynamic of the work environment has usually been more along the line of verbal jabs that are often very difficult to interpret and are controlled or "kept in check" by incomprehensible rules.