Page 3 of 4 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2010, 11:40 pm

My point is, you made this whole thread about people insulting you for saying you pray. But in fact, it was just a friend who said his opinion, asking God favors like that is "a crutch for a weak". The reason you attract so many disagreement to your post is that you are currently living a double standard. Apparently you are entitled to be able to say that you pray to a god and that you received clarity from doing so without being insulted. But when your friend just said that he doesn't think such things work you went ballistic on him and already posted a thread with a first post in which you called him ignorant and egocentric. You later added a lot more insults to the mix, to paraphrase "moronic" and "stupid", and "ass".

Greshym_Shorkan
Toucan
Toucan

20 Jan 2010, 11:56 pm

If he had said it like that, that would be a world of difference. It was what he said, how he said it. I never said -or even implied- I went "ballistic" on him either. In fact, I never told you my reaction.

My words in the conversation were, "I don't know, I just do it because I get some comfort."

Side by side comparison.

"You can do what you please, but I just don't see how that works." Not what I wanna hear, but nothing to get worked up about.

"It's a crutch for the weak..." Implying I'm weak for having any faith, and in no way a compliment. You don't think it's an insult, but in that context, it was blatantly a diss.

How does my faith in any way shape or form compare to his remark? I don't have a double standard- he didn't just argue against me, he insulted me. And I'm done with this, as I don't think we'll ever see eye-to- guy fawkes mask. Bye

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2010, 2:48 am

Dudes, calm down already. So much flinging of unsubstantiated ultra-personal conclusions only encourages more of the same.

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2010, 5:13 am

Wait ... What???

"I'm not religious, but when I ask GOD..."

Anyone who asks "GOD" is deemed as religious. I saw a something on TV, where the host says to the person, "So you're religious?" to which they reply, "No. I'm Christian" - same thing 8)

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2010, 6:49 am

Keith wrote:
Wait ... What???

"I'm not religious, but when I ask GOD..."

Anyone who asks "GOD" is deemed as religious. I saw a something on TV, where the host says to the person, "So you're religious?" to which they reply, "No. I'm ..." - same thing 8)

Not necessarily ...

------------------
Religious, a. (Webster)
1. Pertaining or relating to religion; as a religious society; a religious sect; a religious place; religious subjects.
2. Pious; godly; loving and reverencing the Supreme Being and obeying his precepts; as a religious man.
------------------

Avarice
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2010, 7:41 am

Vexcalibur wrote:
My point is, you made this whole thread about people insulting you for saying you pray. But in fact, it was just a friend who said his opinion, asking God favors like that is "a crutch for a weak". The reason you attract so many disagreement to your post is that you are currently living a double standard. Apparently you are entitled to be able to say that you pray to a god and that you received clarity from doing so without being insulted. But when your friend just said that he doesn't think such things work you went ballistic on him and already posted a thread with a first post in which you called him ignorant and egocentric. You later added a lot more insults to the mix, to paraphrase "moronic" and "stupid", and "ass".

Well, yes. I said that too, but my post was ignored. Of course, you added some extra points that I didn't.

Henriksson
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2010, 8:47 am

Myself, I think it is arrogant to the extreme to think that an extremely powerful being would give a damn about the trivialities of a bunch of apes (and yes, we really are apes) on an speck of dirt lost in the vastness of the vacuum which we call the universe. It's so self-centered it's absurd.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2010, 9:00 am

Henriksson wrote:
Myself, I think it is arrogant to the extreme to think that an extremely powerful being would give a damn about the trivialities of a bunch of apes (and yes, we really are apes) on an speck of dirt lost in the vastness of the vacuum which we call the universe. It's so self-centered it's absurd.

I generally agree, but nevertheless scientists in laboratories do concern themselves with microscopic life. I have never heard of a scientist so occupied listening for prayers from individual microbes to improve their condition.

Asmodeus
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2010, 3:23 pm

George Carlin wrote:
I noticed that of all the prayers I used to offer to God, and all the prayers that I now offer to Joe Pesci, are being answered at about the same 50 percent rate. Half the time I get what I want. Half the time I don't. Same as God; 50-50. Same as the four leaf clover, the horse shoe, the rabbit's foot, and the wishing well. Same as the mojo man. Same as the voodoo lady who tells your fortune by squeezing the goat's testicles. It's all the same; 50-50. So just pick your superstitions, sit back, make a wish and enjoy yourself.

I hope God and Joe Pesci team up and bring back George Carlin.

Greshym_Shorkan
Toucan
Toucan

21 Jan 2010, 7:58 pm

Henriksson wrote:

I guess I just don't see how it's selfish. Is there something out there so much greater than us that it's an affront to even consult this being? What difference does it make how big the Universe is, or small we are? Are we assuming that it has an ego here? (It might, but it's an assumption.) I don't think all prayer is selfish, although I do think some are shallow. This world can be horrifying, and if praying brings a sense of comfort to the suffering, then sure, it's self-serving, but is it selfish to the point of absurdity? That makes zero sense to me, no offense.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2010, 8:03 pm

Greshym_Shorkan wrote:
Henriksson wrote:

I guess I just don't see how it's selfish. Is there something out there so much greater than us that it's an affront to even consult this being? What difference does it make how big the Universe is, or small we are? Are we assuming that it has an ego here? (It might, but it's an assumption.) I don't think all prayer is selfish, although I do think some are shallow. This world can be horrifying, and if praying brings a sense of comfort to the suffering, then sure, it's self-serving, but is it selfish to the point of absurdity? That makes zero sense to me, no offense.

Since praying is about as effective as a four leaf clover or a rabbit's foot it basically is harmless unless it is substituted for known effective methods for dealing with disasters.

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2010, 10:07 pm

leejosepho wrote:

Actually, their reactions tend to indicate they know you are right!

How so???

leejosepho wrote:
Mention Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny and nobody goes ballistic.

Are your analytical skills really so feeble that you need the reason for this explained to you?

With regard to prayer, yes it does s**t me when people thank god, or pray to good for deliverance or guidance. Why? because I find this an insult to human knowledge. Firstly a great many 'prayer's' either refuse to acknowledge or wilfully distort scientific understandings, so that they can continue to have 'faith'.

Secondly when people thank 'god' for their successful operation, rescue, 'miraculous' cure etc. etc. dont they realise God has nothing to do with it, all these events have natural explanations, and if we cannot explain them, it is because we have not yet gained the knowledge to do so.

With regard to 'medical miracles', as many people have pointed out, it is amusing that there has been no recorded event of someone spontaneously regrowing a limb, all that has been recorded are body systems returning to homoeostasis, yes highly improbable medical events have occurred, but improbability does not equate to god.

As for rescues and operations how about attributing the success to the people involved rather than supernatural fantasy. People who thank god ahead of the skilful and dedicated team of surgeons and theatre staff, or rescuers, are not only deluded, but also bloody insulting.

And for just plain prayer, pray all you wish but don't tell me about it, because I am only going to think you a fool.

And if you still insist upon praying (and you are christian) at least do it the way the god book says "But when you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you."

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

Last edited by DentArthurDent on 23 Jan 2010, 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2010, 10:12 pm

Actually many people are offended because you may tell them you are praying but they think you are preying and it scares them.

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2010, 10:18 pm

Sand wrote:
Actually many people are offended because you may tell them you are praying but they think you are preying and it scares them.

Ask many an alter boy and they will attest to the voracity of your statement.

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

Last edited by DentArthurDent on 23 Jan 2010, 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2010, 10:22 pm

DentArthurDent wrote:
leejosepho wrote:

How so???

To wit:

leejosepho wrote:

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2010, 10:31 pm

leejosepho wrote:
DentArthurDent wrote:
leejosepho wrote:

How so???

To wit:

leejosepho wrote:

Ok so you reply with nonsense, what is your point