Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

paigetheoracle
Raven
Raven

20 Jan 2010, 3:32 am

I've just noticed that when I have explosive tantrums, they follow a certain set of logical reasons. I scream and shout, plus stamp my feet to silence not only those around me but the continuous waffle inside my head. I want external and internal motion to cease so that I can sense and make sense of the world, especially when doing something fiddly or when all hell breaks loose around me, in the form of the dogs going ballistic. I want absolute control and instant obedience, whether it's the dogs, my mind or my body that I want to whip into shape.

I notice that when I'm in this state - the radio/ TV or any other noise maker must go off and living ones silenced (the dogs or my wife) and that as much light must be thrown onto the subject as possible, hence lights going on all over the place and curtains pulled back (Margaret prefers mood lighting i.e. dull illumination but not me. I can tolerate it but if I want to do something then I need to see everything and in detail too or I can't be sure of what I'm doing or its effect).

As anybody else had insights like this on their temper tantrums or anything else?

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2010, 3:40 am

They aren't temper tantrums. These are meltdowns.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2010, 4:12 am

I second that.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2010, 7:08 am

And they're best prevented rather than trying to deal with them after they start.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

kc8ufv
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2010, 10:30 am

Have you figured out what triggers your meltdowns? I know certain kinds of stress does it in me.