Question for gay and ?ing aspies 29 years old and older?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

21 Jan 2010, 11:55 am

When you were younger, as a teenage, did you know what being gay or queer meant? I honestly have to say that back then I really didn't understand what being gay or queer meant, because we were, in a sense, socially isolated and/or disabled and didn't have the resources we do now, I had no idea what it was all about.

Stinkypuppy
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2010, 3:31 pm

I did know what being LGBT meant as a teenager. I grew up in the San Francisco area! :mrgreen: Well, my dad did his best to put me down for what he considered "effeminate" mannerisms, and I used to have lots of Bible studies with my very religious grandmother when I was young, so my early associations with anything remotely LGBT-related were quite negative. However luckily when my older sister was in high school (my being around 10-12 at the time), she did a lot of volunteer outreach work with the Filipino-American community and AIDS awareness. This invariably led to exposure to people of other sexualities, and that exposure did considerably to dispel all the stereotypes and misinformation surrounding what it meant to be LGBT.

Then while in college as an older teenager, I used to do a bit of volunteer work, delivering groceries to people with AIDS. Some of them were LGBT, and I would casually talk to them about their lives and interests and stuff. They were always really appreciative of what I was doing for them, and it was great to see really how LGBT folks are people with the same joys and worries as straight folks.

rabryst
Raven
Raven

21 Jan 2010, 3:34 pm

It took me nine years (from the age of 10 to 19) to realise that what I was feeling was "being gay". I'd been called names at school, but for the most part was asexual. However, I'd never looked at women in a sexual way and thought "I want some of that".

It was only after high school that I internalised what being gay meant, and then I accepted it. It was a very short period of "this is what it means -> oh, right, I think that's me -> yup, no question about it -> well now that explains a lot."

That said, I knew theoretically what it meant, while still younger, but the thought never crossed my mind that I might be gay. It took someone at college coming out the closet for me to make the connection.

Incidentally, I think accepting my feelings about homosexuality helped me accept my AS diagnosis more easily. It was an identical process to the one above. Interestingly, a gay doctor friend of mine suggested I might be autistic, one evening when a whole group of us were having dinner. He kept spinning a coin, and I couldn't stop looking at it. The rest, as they say, is history.

alana
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2010, 5:58 pm

Jutty wrote:
When you were younger, as a teenage, did you know what being gay or queer meant? I honestly have to say that back then I really didn't understand what being gay or queer meant, because we were, in a sense, socially isolated and/or disabled and didn't have the resources we do now, I had no idea what it was all about.

I was raised in a very religious background so I had a lot of baggage about the definitions of it...so I guess I knew what it was about but I was also misinformed and bigoted. It's hysterical to me now that one of the most popular bands was Queen and 'we will rock you' was played or stomped (with our feet) at all games and pep rallies yet no one seemed consciously aware that Freddie Mercury was gay and of the contribution he made.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2010, 6:25 pm

I was well aware of my sexuality very early--by age 12 or so.

I did not understand what the social implications would be, and I blamed much of my social ostracism on being gay, rather than only my AS (which did not exist as a diagnosis when I was a teen).

So if, "did you know what being gay or queer meant" refers to sexuality, then yes, I knew. If it refers to the social elements, coming out, coping with discrimination, confronting HIV and safer sex, then no, I didn't--but I doubt any of my peers understood a lot of that about their emerging sexuality, either.

kiwi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Jan 2010, 9:38 am

rabryst wrote:
It took me nine years (from the age of 10 to 19) to realise that what I was feeling was "being gay". I'd been called names at school, but for the most part was asexual. However, I'd never looked at women in a sexual way and thought "I want some of that".

It was only after high school that I internalised what being gay meant, and then I accepted it. It was a very short period of "this is what it means -> oh, right, I think that's me -> yup, no question about it -> well now that explains a lot."

That said, I knew theoretically what it meant, while still younger, but the thought never crossed my mind that I might be gay. It took someone at college coming out the closet for me to make the connection.

Incidentally, I think accepting my feelings about homosexuality helped me accept my AS diagnosis more easily. It was an identical process to the one above. Interestingly, a gay doctor friend of mine suggested I might be autistic, one evening when a whole group of us were having dinner. He kept spinning a coin, and I couldn't stop looking at it. The rest, as they say, is history.

this is interesting..

When I was in highschool I was very much asexual too..

I was planning on getting married to my career. "marrying architecture"
as thats how passionate I was/am towards it.

It took a close friend telling me she was getting engaged which made me click. which made me connect.

I like gay and aspie as there isnt too many stereotypes or role models except for andy warhol :P

fresh new resource connecting people www.gayaspie.com

kiwi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Jan 2010, 9:42 am

alana wrote:
Jutty wrote:

I was raised in a very religious background so I had a lot of baggage about the definitions of it...so I guess I knew what it was about but I was also misinformed and bigoted. It's hysterical to me now that one of the most popular bands was Queen and 'we will rock you' was played or stomped (with our feet) at all games and pep rallies yet no one seemed consciously aware that Freddie Mercury was gay and of the contribution he made.

Yeah thats frustrating. Playing rugby with 30+ years men and 20+years men.

Would have been good if they recognised that queen and those rock songs were sang by a gay man.. :)

and people in general. How can they sing to it and still be a homophobe?

kc8ufv
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2010, 7:02 pm

kiwi wrote:
and people in general. How can they sing to it and still be a homophobe?

Simple answer... Complete and total ignorance.