Discrimination among the autistic community ??

Page 2 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

thepeaguy
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Mar 2006, 5:18 pm

Laz wrote:
Superiority? Were a virus with shoes

It's sheer irony that you go around belittling others for being stupid when you can't say much about your grammar. For starters, the contraction "were" makes your sentence non-sensical, reducing the hilarity value of your post.

No need to thank me. My pleasure.

Laz
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2006, 6:24 pm

Quote:
Bah What a big man you are! Hey let me buy you a pack of gum i'll show you how to chew it

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2006, 6:43 am

Despite that i am autistic I thank god that i don't live in autistic country or in autistic planet , because I don't want to live in a world where the rulers are like thepeaguy.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2006, 6:49 am

Thats a bit harsh. Whats wrong with him?

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2006, 7:18 am

Nothing ....but all forms of discrimination in the world always started with such attitudes and with such beautiful excuses and theories.

danlo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2006, 10:58 am

Lol. Yeah, peaguy needs to tone it down a bit. We all know he has issues, but he doesn't have to take it out on everyone on WP. Peaguy, you gotta stop insulting everyone.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2006, 12:33 pm

Since I agree with peaguy that discrimination is pretty much a constant in all species, at least on an individual basis I'm sure there's discrimination in the autistic community. But given that right now most autistics are trying to find a worldwide autistic community, I think there's more a feeling of brotherhood/sisterhood in that we're banning together trying to fight discrimination against autistics as a whole. So in contrast to the general population, I'd say we have less discrimination against each other.

If the discrimination against us and just "different" people in general ever lets up (I have infinite doubts), then perhaps one would possibly see more of us discriminating against our various autistic factions simply because we'd have less of a common cause to unite us-- and feeling part of a group makes one more inclined to have compassion towards the whole of the group rather than anger or hatred.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

thepeaguy
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Mar 2006, 1:00 pm

danlo wrote:
Lol. Yeah, peaguy needs to tone it down a bit. We all know he has issues, but he doesn't have to take it out on everyone on WP. Peaguy, you gotta stop insulting everyone.

I see. So you have made the realisation that I have issues. So what? Everyone does. And how does that make you any different since you have slashed your wrists a few times, and you have the audacity to be all and mighty over me when you cannot say much about yourself? What you're doing now is basically the same thing you're accusing me of. Omfg, paradox!

You know, knowing how to spell and acting all scholarly doesn't make you less of an idiot, Danlo, if you can't follow it up with some logic, that is. :/

eamonn
Veteran
Veteran

eamonn
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2006, 1:14 pm

Sophist wrote:
I think there's more a feeling of brotherhood/sisterhood in that we're banning together

Something tells me this freudian slip has relevancy at this junction. :(

thepeaguy
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Mar 2006, 1:14 pm

LePetitPrince wrote:
Despite that i am autistic I thank god that i don't live in autistic country or in autistic planet , because I don't want to live in a world where the rulers are like thepeaguy.

You know, that's very discriminating to hear. :|

Now do you see the point I am making?

ImpecuniousMax
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Mar 2006, 4:17 pm

Thepeaguy, Zoology happens to be one of my interests, and I write the following in the spirit of a discussion in search of the truth. One’s opinions are naturally their own, so like Mr Gradgrind I shall confine myself to facts. Your original point contained a number of specifics that were scientifically erroneous and which do somewhat invalidate your line of reasoning. This is why I write the following, not to pick an argument, but just as I would hope you would correct me were I to state inaccurate information that you knew to be specifically untrue.

“Life competes to strengthen themselves because we fear and resent those who are above the ladder of evolution.”

Life competes to strengthen itself because of - and through the means of - natural selection. It competes since this is (if you will forgive the pun) the nature of the beast.

“we fear and resent those who are above the ladder of evolution.”

Nothing and no one is ‘above the ladder of evolution’. In fact, there is no ladder, no single direction ‘up’, but a branched tree moving to various evolved adaptions. Life does not seek intelligence, it seeks to adapt to its environment, and through this achieve success.
From apes we evolved, and are set apart from other animals by no qualitative definition, only a quantitive one. To claim that an animal is ‘above evolution’ is to reject evolution, and to reject evolution is to reject science.

”The human race are the most successful of life because of this”

The human race is the most successful form of life because we have proved highly efficient at adapting to our environment. This is how life finds success; it is the definition of it.

“the rest are obsolescent who are given both our compassion and our apathy”

This I must disagree with in the strongest fashion. It contradicts several legitimate realities, the first of which would be (as I have stated above) that mankind has no intrinsic condition that sets him apart on a qualitative basis. Remember: We are ape, not angel.
My second point on your classification of the ‘rest’ as ‘obsolescent’ is that, well, this description of nature is plainly and simply wrong. For a balanced and successful ecology, all forms of life which natural selection has chosen for that set ecosystem should be present. When one of these necessary building blocks is removed in a manner that is in conflict with nature, damage is done. The more that are removed, and the further up the food chain the lost species are, the worse the effect. Never has another swell in species population caused such damage: Humanity’s surge across the globe has increased to an exponential and unsustainable rate, our numbers having more than doubled in the last half century.
My final point will be the only non empirical opinion I employ in this post, and it is on the subject of humility in the face of nature: To call ‘the rest’ (ie: of the natural world) ‘obsolescent’, especially with the application of the noun ‘compassion’ implies something rejected, rather pathetic. The flora and fauna of our planet is far from pathetic, in fact I am constantly stunned at the remarkable diversity of life and it’s surprising, efficient, and truly wonderful solutions to the problems posed by the need to survive.

Endersdragon
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2006, 3:39 am

I think alot of the discrimination is like between parents of LFA students to Aspergers and how we dont understand their kids. Though we also sorta believe that were differnt from LFA kids.

Vote for me in 2020 :-D

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2006, 9:21 am

I'm mostly surprised the question needs to be asked. Yes, there's discrimination within the autistic community.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2006, 7:30 pm

eamonn wrote:
Sophist wrote:
I think there's more a feeling of brotherhood/sisterhood in that we're banning together

Something tells me this freudian slip has relevancy at this junction. :(

slip?

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

danlo
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2006, 8:55 pm

thepeaguy wrote:
I see. So you have made the realisation that I have issues. So what? Everyone does. And how does that make you any different since you have slashed your wrists a few times, and you have the audacity to be all and mighty over me when you cannot say much about yourself? What you're doing now is basically the same thing you're accusing me of. Omfg, paradox!

You know, knowing how to spell and acting all scholarly doesn't make you less of an idiot, Danlo, if you can't follow it up with some logic, that is. :/

It doesn't require a realization to see that you have issues. It is clearly apparent to everyone here that you cannot keep a civil tongue, and lack the impulse control to stop yourself from insulting people. However, I allow that I may be mistaken, and that you may merely see everything as an attack because of your fragile ego. Either way, you have serious issues for which you should seek professional help. You cannot rationalize that because everyone has issues, that yours are somehow within any reasonable range of normalcy. Attacking me might help you feel better, but that doesn't detract from your own issues that are causing you to alienate most of the people on WP. Btw, it's not paradox, it's hypocrisy. That is to say, it would be hypocritical of me if I were taking my issues out on the people of WP, like you are doing. As it is, I am only trying to help you see the inappropriateness of your behaviour here on WP, so that you can regulate your unsavoury behaviours. You might feel that you don't care and be resolute in not changing your attitudes, but if that is the case then why stay?
As for your comment about "logic", need I say more? Only those who see the truth of it but wish to deny it even to themselves make such claims that it lacks substantiative "logic". The logic is inherent in the truth of what is said. All it lacked was marked examples of your behaviour, which I can provide if you'd like:

http://www.wrongplanet.net/asperger.htm ... =thepeaguy