Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

rin
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Jan 2010, 4:19 pm

So, I have a question. We believe my boyfriend has AS. I have noticed little quirks about him, but up until now, didn't really give it much thought. This really isn't even a big deal, but it's just weird to me, so I want to ask you guys.

Tuesday, Nate cut his thumb at work. Pretty bad. Bled quite a bit he said. Fast forward to last night (Thurs). He took a shower as normal after work because he gets pretty dirty. He didn't put a bandaide or salve on the cut because he accidentally left then in his truck. We have bandaides and salve at the house. I didn't want him bleeding on things because it was starting to seep again. He grumbled and did nothing. In the end after I complained enough he disappeared outside and came in with some stuff from his truck. He wouldn't use our bandaides and salve we had in the house. Why? Because it wasn't his stuff! We compared ingredients in the salve. Basically the same, just a different name. The bandaides were just a different cloth type. But he wouldn't use the ones from the house. They had to be his. What is up with that?! Is that an Aspie thing? Or is that just a weird Nate thing? I'm just curious. It was like our bandaides and salve weren't as good as his. I just dont' get it.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2010, 4:55 pm

Sounds like a "not liking change in routine" thing, maybe. I can't think of exactly how to explain why, but it's like sitting at the same table (and the same chair) in a restaurant every time you go there -- or otherwise everything just seems off kilter and wrong. I think for ASC people a lot of life is managing chaos (the world is overwhelming and doesn't run by rules that are intuitive to you), and every little familiar/known thing helps.

If he'd been using your bandages from the first day of the cut, he'd probably demand to keep using them (is my guess).

M_p_furo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Jan 2010, 5:28 pm

Was the cloth different as in plastic vs. stretchy?

I only ask this because it might also be a sensory issue. I'm not quite as bad is your boyfriend, but I have a very strong preference to the stretchy band-aids because they feel better.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2010, 6:32 pm

I also have a prefrence for the stretchy bandages, as well.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26&start=645

mikkyh
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Jan 2010, 7:46 pm

It sounds kinda Obsessive Compulsive Disorder to me...

rin

22 Jan 2010, 2:07 pm

They were both cloth, but I don't know from there. His are a more course material and ours are a smoother. That would be the only difference. I talked to a friend of mine and her son would have been the same way. It has to do with familiarity. If he had been using ours when this happened, it wouldn't have been a problem, but he was using his own from his tool box. Which he always uses, lol.

It's good to know. Thank you for your help in trying to understand!! !