weird way of showing empathy and sympathy

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Psygirl6
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Jan 2010, 9:44 pm

I have this weird way of showing empathy and/or sympathy. When someone I know gets sick or hurt, I always wish that I had the problem instead of them. I do not know why this happens. Just recently, I found out that someone I know has to have treatments done for leukemia, and I can not help but want leukemia and chemotherapy, myself. This is very weird because it is bothering me so much. Does anyone else have this issue?

schleppenheimer
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2010, 9:51 pm

I don't have this problem, but your experience kind of shoots the "people on the spectrum have a problem with lack of empathy" theory right in the head, doesn't it?

Psygirl6
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Jan 2010, 9:59 pm

Yes it does. I just started to realize this weird thing just this week. Though I had it for ever, even since I was a little girl, but I just thought it was out of some psychotic strange thing. But I realized that this is empathy and/or sympathy. I just happen to experience it in a very different way. Maybe other on the Spectrum experience this or in other ways, which may seem more like other odd feelings instead of this.

conan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2010, 10:32 pm

for me i find i empathize best with people if i have experienced what they are going through.My poor theory of mind makes it difficult to truly feel their pain and suffering otherwise.

I was wondering if you were wanting these problems as a way of being able to relate to the people who are going through it??