culture. has it ruined you and is it a good thing?

Page 3 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

is culture a good thing?
yes 52%  52%  [ 11 ]
no 48%  48%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 21

dddhgg
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2010, 2:55 pm

wesmontfan wrote:
dddhgg wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Culture is what connects one to the other people in the society or community into which he has been born. Language is the first cultural artifact acquired, after which comes custom and morals. I human cannot exist as a human without some kind of culture, so how can culture ruin anyone?

ruveyn

A mathematician who doesn't know logic? Fallacy alert!

Your argument is exactly similar to, "A human cannot exist as a human without some water, so how can water ruin anyone?" Err... by drinking 10 gallons of the stuff, or by putting your whole head in it for 5 minutes or longer. Same with culture I guess: being immersed too deeply in a particular culture, or a system of language, custom, and morality as you would say, can easily lead to a person being ruined by all the absurdities, stupidities, and inconsistencies of that culture.

What YOU just said is a fallacy, because that wasnt the question.
The fact that too much, or brackish, or salty, or whatever water can kill you is irrelevent if the question is simply "is water bad for you?."

The poster asked "is culture bad for you". He didnt say anything about *A) what he meant by the world"culture", nor (B) what type of culture nor subculture he was talking about.
(highbrow, lowbrow, pop, american, Eskimo, Japanese, redneck, black, -some clue as to what he means).

Since no human can function without some kind of culture then the question as stated was meaningless.
Hes made a fool himself to ask it that way. And it is a disservice to him not to point that out.

He probably meant "american culture". The question "is american culture bad for you?" is a perfectly okay question to ask. But if thats what he meant then he shouldve stated that way.

I'm not even going to provide your incoherent babbling with a proper answer. Just let me say that ruveyn probably doesn't need (or even want) you defending his back, rhetorically speaking. And please, if you're such a great orator yourself, don't abuse the English language like you do now.

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2010, 7:46 pm

wesmontfan wrote:
dddhgg wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Culture is what connects one to the other people in the society or community into which he has been born. Language is the first cultural artifact acquired, after which comes custom and morals. I human cannot exist as a human without some kind of culture, so how can culture ruin anyone?

ruveyn

Your argument is exactly similar to, "A human cannot exist as a human without some water, so how can water ruin anyone?" Err... by drinking 10 gallons of the stuff, or by putting your whole head in it for 5 minutes or longer. Same with culture I guess: being immersed too deeply in a particular culture, or a system of language, custom, and morality as you would say, can easily lead to a person being ruined by all the absurdities, stupidities, and inconsistencies of that culture.

The fact that too much, or brackish, or salty, or whatever water can kill you is irrelevent if the question is simply "is water bad for you?."

The poster asked "is culture bad for you". He didnt say anything about *A) what he meant by the world"culture", nor (B) what type of culture nor subculture he was talking about.
(highbrow, lowbrow, pop, american, Eskimo, Japanese, redneck, black, -some clue as to what he means).

Since no human can function without some kind of culture then the question as stated was meaningless.
Hes made a fool himself to ask it that way. And it is a disservice to him not to point that out.

He probably meant "american culture". The question "is american culture bad for you?" is a perfectly okay question to ask. But if thats what he meant then he shouldve stated that way.

He didn't make a fool of himself. He opened up and said that he thinks it ruined him more than it helped him because he has a gangster personality of some sort. His question was, "has culture ruined you or is it a good thing?"

Imagine yourself being born into a different culture or no culture at all. Would you be a better person, or more true to yourself if you had a different experience regarding societal aspects that influence us. I think my culture has ruined me more than it helped me. Of course, I wouldn't be talking to you if I was born in the wilderness, but then again, I wouldn't care to if that were the case.

-Pythagoras

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2010, 7:51 pm

I agree culture is bad especially the gangster kind.

Fo' shizzle yo.

wesmontfan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Jan 2010, 12:11 am

Magnus wrote:
wesmontfan wrote:
dddhgg wrote:
ruveyn wrote:

ruveyn

He didn't make a fool of himself. He opened up and said that he thinks it ruined him more than it helped him because he has a gangster personality of some sort. His question was, "has culture ruined you or is it a good thing?"

Imagine yourself being born into a different culture or no culture at all. Would you be a better person, or more true to yourself if you had a different experience regarding societal aspects that influence us. I think my culture has ruined me more than it helped me. Of course, I wouldn't be talking to you if I was born in the wilderness, but then again, I wouldn't care to if that were the case.

I apologize my choose of words and seeming to beat up on him. I dont want to discourage anyone from speaking from the heart.

People use the word "culture" to mean different things. I use it in the social science sense of meaning the whole way of life of a people. So "culture' is pretty inescapable for any human. As you kinda said yourself in your last sentence a person couldnt function at alll without ANY culture.

So to me "culture" per se cant be good or bad.
However a particular culture might be good or bad for a particular individual.
Basically im saying that this couldve been an interesting thread if only he had been more precise about what he meant Like asking "do you fit into THE culture you were born into?" Instead of "is culture bad?"

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2010, 12:17 am

wesmontfan wrote:
Magnus wrote:
wesmontfan wrote:
dddhgg wrote:
ruveyn wrote:

ruveyn

I apologize my choose of words and seeming to beat up on him. I dont want to discourage anyone from speaking from the heart.

People use the word "culture" to mean different things. I use it in the social science sense of meaning the whole way of life of a people. So "culture' is pretty inescapable for any human. As you kinda said yourself in your last sentence a person couldnt function at alll without ANY culture.

So to me "culture" per se cant be good or bad.
However a particular culture might be good or bad for a particular individual.
Basically im saying that this couldve been an interesting thread if only he had been more precise about what he meant Like asking "do you fit into THE culture you were born into?" Instead of "is culture bad?"

I get richardbenson for some odd reason. But yeah, you interpreted it totally differently than I did. I can see your point tho, but I have to add...we could function without culture, but we'd be living in the forest, with maybe one other person. It sounds like Adam and Eve to me. I think it would be cool. Someday, I want to live amongst the chimps :lol:

-Pythagoras

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2010, 10:04 am

Looking at culture topic

There are many different ways of life in the world. Culture is first and foremost an adaptation to the environment/society a person is living in. A change in an environment can change culture, both at a personal and a group (of whaever size) level. And vice versa.

Conscious change is different and difficult (a pun? :lol: ) though not impossible, like refusing to join or leaving a gang but living in an environment that encourages/supports or is indifferent to said gangs. Sometimes you can get killed.

I have always wondered why people stay in a dysfunctional environment when there is a opportunity to leave, though leaving is never easy. The place you know is oddly enough more comfortable and secure than the unknown (the devil you know scenario).

It would seem that RB is dissatisfied with the way he is living, and it is not easy to pinpoint exactly what is the most dissatified aspect(s) of one's lifestyle. But this is what is necessary as a first step toward changing one's culture.

I went through this when I was much younger.

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2010, 9:27 pm

richardbenson wrote:
ahh ahh cultural stereotypes. yes, if you arent like me your different, and that scares me so i need to make fun of you because i dont understand it. now we get to the heart of the best of culturlaism

So what culture do you hail from?

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2010, 9:36 pm

Sart, sorry to tell you this, but the ambiguity of this sentence : "But this is what is necessary as a first step toward changing one's culture." Makes me want to tell you that you can't exactly change ONE's culture, being that culture is not specificly yours as it belongs to others as well.

Maybe you meant "way of life", but i honestly doubt one person can "change" his culture (you can however, influence it by adding your own original contribution to it). And even if he was to move elsewhere (and i mean, outside the USA), it would still require him to get used to his new (presumably human) culture.

Sorry if you meant something else that i haven't covered. ^^;

musicboxforever
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2010, 11:59 am

I find it surprising the Autistic/Aspies feel affected by culture. My family and I don't really have accents, aren't affected by fashion, don't follow current musical trends. We like what we like because we like it. I have a couple of friends like this too.

No one can tell where my Dad and I are from because we haven't really got an accent. We are obviously English, but I've lived in Scotland for so long that sometime people just assume I'm a posh Scot.

I expected that slipping between the cracks and being non-cultural was an Aspie thing.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2010, 8:56 pm

musicboxforever wrote:
I find it surprising the Autistic/Aspies feel affected by culture. My family and I don't really have accents, aren't affected by fashion, don't follow current musical trends. We like what we like because we like it. I have a couple of friends like this too.

No one can tell where my Dad and I are from because we haven't really got an accent. We are obviously English, but I've lived in Scotland for so long that sometime people just assume I'm a posh Scot.

I expected that slipping between the cracks and being non-cultural was an Aspie thing.

Every English person has a discernible accent to an American ear. Culture is unavoidable, even for an aspie. Or why aren't you in the forest hunting animals and picking berries? (Even that would be a culture. How else do you think you'd learn all those skills?)

musicboxforever
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2010, 6:23 am

Good point. I suppose I am obviously not French or Australian.

Last edited by musicboxforever on 28 Jan 2010, 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2010, 6:27 am

pinkbowtiepumps wrote:
Yes, I do feel as if I've been affected by culture. I love making fun of the more ridiculous aspects of American culture... can we say Jersey Shore anyone?

I do feel blind as to whether I've taken in the good or bad aspects of our culture, though. I can't tell for some reason... Can't say if it's a positive or negative affect though.

I agree about Jersey Shore and similar programs.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

fidelis
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2010, 8:15 pm

Culture is good for just about everything but tradition. Actually, even that's not so bad. It's when some child's parents say "because that is how it has always been done," that culture becomes a problem. It is the lack of adaptiveness that goes with culture that I dislike.
I have been in foster care for six years and if there is one good thing about it, it's the diversity of cultures that I've been exposed to that made me really appreciate culture. It was only when culture led to narrow mindedness that I didn't like it. Sadly though, they seem to go hand and hand together. Out of about thirty homes I have been in, only three were willing to think from another persons perspective. It wasn't that they couldn't; they just didn't want to.
It is because of that that I believe culture is more destructive to society in america. In other countries I have no clue. I don't think in less diversified areas that this would really be a problem.

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2010, 8:20 pm

fidelis wrote:
Culture is good for just about everything but tradition. Actually, even that's not so bad. It's when some child's parents say "because that is how it has always been done," that culture becomes a problem. It is the lack of adaptiveness that goes with culture that I dislike.
I have been in foster care for six years and if there is one good thing about it, it's the diversity of cultures that I've been exposed to that made me really appreciate culture. It was only when culture led to narrow mindedness that I didn't like it. Sadly though, they seem to go hand and hand together. Out of about thirty homes I have been in, only three were willing to think from another persons perspective. It wasn't that they couldn't; they just didn't want to.
It is because of that that I believe culture is more destructive to society in america. In other countries I have no clue. I don't think in less diversified areas that this would really be a problem.

You are fortunate to have such a vast amount of experience at such an early age. I'm sure that sort of thing comes with a price tho. I like your posts btw. Welcome to WP.

-Pythagoras