Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

jocundthelilac
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2010, 5:44 pm

I don't know whether it's just me who has this thing, but every time I get to about five tabs open in the same browser I begin to feel uncomfortable! Same deal with the tabs at the bottom of the desktop in Windows. I often find myself closing uneeded documents and pages so I can feel less claustro.

Has anyone else had this problem? I think it's AS of me to worry so much about it, but I think a lot of NTs would feel that at one point or another they got too many tabs... when they're on, like, 50 :D

Magnús Scheving is my Icelandic rose :)

elderwanda
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2010, 7:06 pm

jocundthelilac wrote:
I don't know whether it's just me who has this thing, but every time I get to about five tabs open in the same browser I begin to feel uncomfortable! Same deal with the tabs at the bottom of the desktop in Windows. I often find myself closing uneeded documents and pages so I can feel less claustro.

Has anyone else had this problem? I think it's AS of me to worry so much about it, but I think a lot of NTs would feel that at one point or another they got too many tabs... when they're on, like, 50 :D

I never gave it much thought. I can't imagine why anyone would have 50. I typically have two or three open. If I have more than that, it's time to close some of them.

Maggiedoll
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2010, 7:10 pm

I tend to have lots of tabs open.. I never want to navigate away from pages that I like, I always get this weird feeling like I won't find them again or something. I have to force myself to close tabs so there wont be a zillion.

Jingo8
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Jan 2010, 7:27 pm

I don't have too many tabs i guess becuase i manage them, but at work i'm always closing programs or windows so i don't have too many open, i also open them all up in the same order every day. Possably becuase of my attention issues i need a very clean clear workplace, my desk is usually completely empty.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2010, 7:36 pm

I feel like I have too many tabs open when my browser grinds to a crawl under the huge memory load -- usually about 100. :lol:

I'll be reading something, and there will be some interesting looking links in it, so I'll open them in a new tabs to read later, so I won't have to interrupt what I'm reading at the time. And then those tabs will have interesting links, and on and on with the geometric progression. Then, when the browser takes 20 seconds to switch tabs, I close them all down and start over.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2010, 8:49 pm

jocundthelilac wrote:
I often find myself closing uneeded documents and pages so I can feel less claustro.

Has anyone else had this problem?

I am like you, and I do not think keeping things neat and tidy is a problem even when I do it to "feel less claustro". I will open a second tab (or *maybe* even a third) to take a look at something or when working on a project, but I *very* seldom have any more than two or three and I usually only have just one.

mikkyh
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Jan 2010, 8:53 pm

I absolutely HATE having too many open. it makes me feel horrible..

kip
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2010, 9:16 pm

jocundthelilac wrote:
when they're on, like, 50 :D

Thats what I used to do as a baby stress test for customer machines. They would swear it was ___ programme, so I'd run a zillion of said programme.

I try not to have any more tabs in FF than it can display. If that little dropdown appears, I've got to many.

?the end of our exploring, will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time. - T.S. Eliot

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2010, 10:11 pm

Dont look over my shoulder then. I'll sometimes have 20 open. If i am reading something good I will middle click the links to cache them to read. As well, I'll have a few programs open, and I am sometimes reading a book too.

Lecks
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2010, 10:23 pm

I can't look at many tabs either, to remedy this I simply open a link in another window when I get to 5 tabs.

Avarice
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2010, 10:38 pm

I often have at least 20 tabs open at the same time. My maximum was 55.

I can't stand having too many windows open though. I only have two or three, more than that and I have to close one.

CloudWalker
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2010, 10:45 pm

Ok, here's the current count: 147

It's usually a bit lower. I think 50 is closer to my norm.

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2010, 10:55 pm

That bothers me too! I hate lots of tabs or windows open. I think it's because I hate clutter.

AspieBri
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Jan 2010, 11:18 pm

Finally, I am not alone on this. :D I despise having even four tabs open.

SirLogiC
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Jan 2010, 11:43 pm

There is no such thing as too many tabs. Tabs was the single greatest internet browsing invention ever. Now instead of dozens of windows open I can have just a few with dozens of tabs in each!

Well I guess I probably get up to 20-30 max. More than that means I am getting too far ahead and will try finishing up the ones I have open. Get the most when I am on wikipedia or looking stuff up, like programming. Or uh... other material.

Generally though I will have a window open for a single subject. So WP forums are in their own window, with tabs for different topics I want to read. Another window for Google searches, if I do any, other windows for different things, etc.

Also Chrome lets you have a lot more tabs open in a window than Firefox.

JT42
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Jan 2010, 12:09 am

I'm eagerly waiting for the day that FF launches tabs in separate threads. It'll be nice if they can pull it off.

Currently five open but fluctuate from 1 - 10 on a regular bases and some times 100+ under certain circumstances.