Page 2 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2010, 2:53 am

MikeyPikey92 wrote:
anneurysm wrote:
I'm wondering if anyone else has ever been fixated on a person in their life to the degree that they have become a "special interest".

I have had quite a few of these fixations over the years...my first one was at six...and they haven't stopped since then. They go beyond the scope of a typical crush on that this person is not only on your mind constantly, but you want to know anything and everything about said person...studying them in depth in an embarassingly stalkerish way. Although I'm not obsessed with them to the degree when I was a kid/teen, I have recently acknowledged that I still have a problem with this.

Can anyone relate to this? Share your experiences!

Nice Frank Zappa Sig. ; )

Thanks! He's one of my biggest inspirations :)

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term psychiatrists - that I am a highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder

My diagnoses - anxiety disorder, depression and traits of obsessive-compulsive disorder (all in remission).

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.

MikeyPikey92
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Jan 2010, 2:55 am

anneurysm wrote:
MikeyPikey92 wrote:
anneurysm wrote:
I'm wondering if anyone else has ever been fixated on a person in their life to the degree that they have become a "special interest".

I have had quite a few of these fixations over the years...my first one was at six...and they haven't stopped since then. They go beyond the scope of a typical crush on that this person is not only on your mind constantly, but you want to know anything and everything about said person...studying them in depth in an embarassingly stalkerish way. Although I'm not obsessed with them to the degree when I was a kid/teen, I have recently acknowledged that I still have a problem with this.

Mine as well. You listen to any Captain Beefheart?

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2010, 3:13 am

MathGirl wrote:
My obsession is not a sexual one, at all, but rather an "organic" one, as I call it. I liked his jacket. I liked how he talked. I've also had obsessions with other people at school, and I often imitated them in some aspects (they were all girls, and got very good grades). I was obsessed with one girl's hair. She always let it down or put it in pigtails, so I did the same thing.

This is exactly the way my obsessions tend to pan out: you've described it perfectly. It's a very heavy attraction to the person's character, demeanor and style, so much that you can't help but pick up on it and imitate it.
If they were a celebrity, you'd be their biggest fan.

This rocker guy I liked in high school (and who I still like today to much a lesser extent) had the biggest influence on me. Whereas before I listened to r&b/rap music, suddenly I was into metal and rock. I traded in my pink tracksuits for black t-shirts and torn jeans. I downloaded all his music and even wrote down quotes he said that I found interesting, as he had a sarcastic, biting personality that I liked.

I also got an obsession with his former girlfriend (that ended, of course), so I started dressing like her, wearing my makeup like her, etc. I never even conciously realized what I was doing until this girl both of us knew pointed it out. :oops:

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term psychiatrists - that I am a highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder

My diagnoses - anxiety disorder, depression and traits of obsessive-compulsive disorder (all in remission).

robinhood
Toucan
Toucan

24 Jan 2010, 7:15 am

I totally relate to this topic. I've wasted at least 10 years of my life being obsessed with different individuals, in a pretty self-destructive way. It starts with fascination, and ends with total frustration :lol: I'm learning not to get into it any more.

superboyian
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2010, 8:07 am

I get problems like this all the time... Currently I have obsessions with two people, not in a sexual way, but there is something about them that are awesome but I can't seem to figure it out...... They treat me nicely and know how I would feel and they cheer me up very well no matter what mood I would be in :D

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2010, 9:53 am

I wish I knew how to fix this behavior. :-( I questioned WHY I do it and IMO it's the "niceness effect" someone treating you nicely strip emotion to basics who would you want to be around more mom (yelling at you) OR teacher (nice to you) TEACHER!! ! LOL! I wonder why WE as Aspies do this?! When reading about social issues on help4aspergers.com it mentions lets say a girl calling a guy constantly since they don't understand gender rules. IMO this makes since but not just for girls towards guys but towards people nice to me is my issue. :-)

Vince
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2010, 12:27 pm

MikeyPikey92 wrote:
anneurysm wrote:
MikeyPikey92 wrote:

Hey, I'm a Zappa fan as well. Got a whole bunch of his (and The Mothers') records in my vinyl collection... Got a bit of Beefheart too.
Sorry...offtopic. *slaps self*

subliculous
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Jan 2010, 2:50 pm

i've had fixations on certain people, crushes, whatever (and focussed entirely on that one person at a a time), but it's never been a real person, only famous individuals. either living or dead. i haven't had this for a long time and i don't know if it's because i'm getting older or what.

Mysty
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2010, 4:27 pm

anneurysm wrote:

No time to share my story at the moment, but, yes, definitely.

jocundthelilac
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2010, 6:42 pm

I'm obsessed with Magnus Scheving to the degree you describe- if I actually knew him I'd get arrested for stalking him! :D

Magnús Scheving is my Icelandic rose :)

mikkyh
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Jan 2010, 6:43 pm

Definitely...especially characters in films and TV programmes. Wow the Edward Cullen period was horrible!

Mysty
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2010, 5:38 pm

I'm very into music and in the past often had, well, a strong attraction to certain musicians. People whose music I knew through recordings, and who I saw in videos and photos. No one I knew.

Then, several years ago, I took an interest a musician who happened to be in a local band. And he noticed me and was friendly to me. Still is. :) His interest definitely fed into what was an obsessive interest, and had a lot of unhealthy qualities. I got over the unhealthy stuff though. Which wasn't easy. (Nothing stalkerish or anything. More like, wanting things that weren't possible. Then wanting things that weren't possible from him.)

Now, I'm still a big fan, still love his music, love to listen to his bands (past and present) and see him play live with his band. And he's still a friend of a sort. And, yeah, it probably could be said to be along the lines of a special interest.

He's a lot like me in some ways, and I think that's part of what draws me to him. Perhaps that's why he likes me.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2010, 6:32 pm

Vince wrote:
MikeyPikey92 wrote:
anneurysm wrote:
MikeyPikey92 wrote:

Hey, I'm a Zappa fan as well. Got a whole bunch of his (and The Mothers') records in my vinyl collection... Got a bit of Beefheart too.

I love them too. The loss of Frank Zappa to cancer was a huge loss to music. I also like Captain Beefheart. "Tropical Hotdog Night" is filthy in a good way. Yes. It's off topic. But sort of on-topic too since being obsessed with musicians is very common.

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2010, 6:34 pm

Vince wrote:
MikeyPikey92 wrote:
anneurysm wrote:
MikeyPikey92 wrote:

Beefheart is pretty awesome! And sometimes people have to switch topics to keep the conversation flowing...we are kind of talking about musicians after all, so it's very acceptable to branch things out. :D

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2010, 6:41 pm

Mysty wrote:
I'm very into music and in the past often had, well, a strong attraction to certain musicians. People whose music I knew through recordings, and who I saw in videos and photos. No one I knew.

Then, several years ago, I took an interest a musician who happened to be in a local band. And he noticed me and was friendly to me. Still is. :) His interest definitely fed into what was an obsessive interest, and had a lot of unhealthy qualities. I got over the unhealthy stuff though. Which wasn't easy. (Nothing stalkerish or anything. More like, wanting things that weren't possible. Then wanting things that weren't possible from him.)

Now, I'm still a big fan, still love his music, love to listen to his bands (past and present) and see him play live with his band. And he's still a friend of a sort. And, yeah, it probably could be said to be along the lines of a special interest.

He's a lot like me in some ways, and I think that's part of what draws me to him. Perhaps that's why he likes me.

Oh my. I know exactly what you're talking about...as you have described one of my own obsessions...word for word.
Who knew that someone out there would have an experience identical to mine? 8O
What was it like at the worst part of the obsession? How did you get over the unhealthy parts of it?

alana
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2010, 7:40 pm

robinhood wrote:
I totally relate to this topic. I've wasted at least 10 years of my life being obsessed with different individuals, in a pretty self-destructive way. It starts with fascination, and ends with total frustration :lol: I'm learning not to get into it any more.

I relate. I've wasted at least twice that amount of time. bleh.