Where did you get your username from?

Page 8 of 8 [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

sininen
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Aug 2012, 8:02 pm

Sininen means blue in Finnish. I could say blue is my "favourite colour" but it is more to me than that. :)

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2012, 6:39 am

sininen wrote:
Sininen means blue in Finnish. I could say blue is my "favourite colour" but it is more to me than that. :)

How does a Finnish speaker end up living in Egypt?

Just out of curiosity.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2012, 6:52 am

Descartes wrote:
elderwanda wrote:
Descartes wrote:
I wanted to give myself a username that made me sound intelligent and philosophical, so I was pondering over people who have made scientific/philosophical breakthroughs in the past. Isaac Newton and Einstein both came to my mind, but then Rene Descartes all of a sudden popped into my head. I then thought that Descartes had a nice ring to it, so I made it my username. :)

I'm sorry, but I can't hear "Rene Descartes" without getting a certain Monty Python song stuck in my head, part of which goes :

"...Rene Descartes was a drunken fart. I drink therefore I am!...."

:wink:

Well, I've never heard of that song, nor anything else from Monty Python for that matter. I certainly hope this does not give you preconceived notions about who I am personally. :roll:

Thats the trouble with media. Young folks hear the spoof before they learn about the thing being spoofed.

If you have even a superficial aquaintence with Decarte ( who said "i think therefore I am"- a blow against silopcism) then the Python song is hilarious.

But if you see the Python thing first in your growing up you dont get the sketch ( or laugh it for the wrong reasons) and it sabotages your view of Decarte when you do encounter him in school.

sininen
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Aug 2012, 9:52 am

naturalplastic wrote:
sininen wrote:

How does a Finnish speaker end up living in Egypt?

Just out of curiosity.

I'm an Egyptian and I'm learning Finnish, as weird as that could sound.

AutisticBelle
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 Aug 2012, 4:14 am

Autistic, because thats what I am, and Belle because everyone says I look like my Oma, who was a southern belle. And also, Belle means beauty. If I can't claim it in real life, I'll pretend I am here.